main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Convergence (An Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon, JA Era angst, adventure - Ch.4 Added (6/07/06)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shanny_bear, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanny_bear

Shanny_bear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2006
    Title: Convergence
    Author: Shanny
    Timeframe: JA Era. Obi-Wan - 19
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn
    Genre: Angst; Action/Adventure

Summary: Obi-Wan is plagued with disturbing dreams and must struggle to remain focused when he and Qui-Gon are called away on a dangerous mission. When visions turn to nightmares and nightmares to reality, who?s to say where one ends and one begins?

Author?s Note: Well, I?m mainly an anime and LotR?s writer, but every so often I like to branch into something different. I?ve become a big Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan fan, but am still fairly new to the whole Star Wars writing ?verse and brand new to the forums. So you?ll just have to bear with me while I learn of Jedi as I go.

Note 2: ? Star Wars - Indicates conversation by way of training bond.
    Italics ? Without the " - " indicates thoughts.

[b]Prologue[/b]

[i]There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no chaos; there is harmony.
    There is no death; there is the Force.[/i]

[hr]

It was mid-morning at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. High above the temple grounds speeders raced by, the flow never seemed to cease on this busy city world. But below at the temple the bustle of the planet seemed to be left far behind, except for the occasional late youngling or padawan that found themselves hurrying through the temple grounds.

Senior Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi tucked his hands in his robe as he made his way to the temple?s Training Hall. When and where this new habit had started he couldn?t remember, but he noticed himself doing it more and more all the time. It was a habit, he noticed, many of the elders practiced and supposed it had unconsciously rubbed off over the years, such were the nuances of growing up, he thought with amusement. One more thing for the junior padawans to gossip about, as if he was oblivious to their furtive behavior. Obi-Wan took it all in good stride though; he himself was guilty of the same thing at their age.

That thought almost made Obi-Wan stop and chuckle to himself. He was to turn 20 in a month, as if he had the right to make the ?when I was young? speeches yet. After all, he was only about a third of Master Qui-Gon?s age, and even his enigmatic master couldn?t compare in age to someone like Master Yoda. But, despite his master?s insistence that he was indeed, a brat, Obi-Wan was aware of just how much he had matured during the past eight years under Qui-Gon?s instruction. He had learned to control his anger and direct it to other more useful practices. And that in itself allowed him to excel far above his peers in studies, ?saber practice, and apprenticeship. He had come a very long way from the angry, hotheaded boy of his youth and he could tell his master was pleased by his development, which in turn, pleased Obi-Wan.

Speaking of masters and being hotheaded, Qui-Gon was not going to be very pleased if he were late for their sparring practice, so Obi-Wan picked up the leisurely pace he hadn?t realized he dropped to. It was never good to start a physical duel with someone more masterful then yourself on their bad side, practice or not. Obi-Wan enjoyed the rare time they found to duel. As he got older and his skills progressed the Council sent him and his master out on more and more missions. It was becoming harder to find the time for such leisurely; you-don?t-have-to-fight-for-your-life, kind of exercises. Obi-Wan was also aware that the other padawans and students who happened to be in the training area enjoyed watching them spar as well. What he at first found odd was that their masters usually let them stop to watch, but had long sense gotten used to the audience.

Obi-Wan entered the training hall right on time to find, not surprisingly, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn waiting for him. Obi-Wan quickly glanced around his surroundings out of habit. Another trait he had pick

2. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Welcome! :)

I enjoyed this - I really liked the interaction between Qui & Obi.

I look forward to more.

=D=

3. nd_jedi

nd_jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    Welcome, Shanny_bear:)! We can never have too many Qui/Obi fans on the board...

I really enjoyed your post - the characterization and interaction between Qui and Obi were very enjoyable, as was Yoda. I personally enjoyed your use of lightsaber forms - I find them fascinating, myself. Hope to see more soon[face_batting]

4. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, I like this a lot. [face_love] Welcome Shanny_bear, I'm so glad to see another Qui and Obi fan/author, since stories featuring those two are my favorite! :D

I too loved the interaction between Obi and Qui in your story. [face_love] I liked reading about the lightsaber forms too, it definitely made the sparring more realistic, and you write good action, IMO. :D

And I loved it when Yoda whacked Qui with his stick! [face_laugh] Heh heh, the little green troll got him good. [face_mischief] And then Qui tucking Obi in at the end, awwww... [face_love]

This story is off to a great start, I can't wait for more! [face_batting]

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

As every one has said "Welcome" and what a good start
    What is Obi-wans problem poor boy
    nightmares oooOOh!.

looking forward to more=D=

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome to SW fanfic Shanny_bear. I can see from your writing you're a Qui & Obi fan. I'm really enjoying this so far. You've writtem just the kind of relationship I enjoy the most with a bit of angst and easy banter. Loved that Yoda whacked Qui-Gon. LOL

I look forward to more. :)

7. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Welcome!

And what a great start! More soon?? [face_batting]

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I like it! Your portrayal of Qui and Obi was natural and easily read and I agree about being conscious of forms during practice. My fave part, though, was:

THWACK!

[face_laugh]

9. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Very interesting start! I'll be looking forward to reading more from you!
    Welcome to the boards! [:D]

10. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Oooh...interesting start!! Loved the sparring scene, and the talk with Yoda after lol. More soon!

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Welcome! [:D]

I read this earlier and got distracted by one of our dogs and didn't leave feedback. Oops[face_blush]

I can't wait to read more of your work! This was lovely! =D=

12. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Great story - I'm looking forward to reading more. PM me when you update.

13. Shanny_bear

Jan 12, 2006
    Wow, thanks for reading and commenting on this story you guys. As a newbie, I wasn?t sure what to expect. I?m flattered people are reading. Thanks again! [:D]

-----------------------

Kestrel_Kenobi - Why thank you! I admit, they are my favorite pairing and I love to write that interaction. Can you tell? ;)

nd_jedi ? I would definitely have to agree with you there! The more the merrier? and the more to read, hehe. I find the forms fascinating myself, so I thought I?d try my hand at them. Though, admittedly I only half know what I?m doing.

Bastet ? Thank you. Yeah, they are definitely my favorites as well. Thanks again for the complement. Most of my experience with writing action is with swordfights and/or gun fighting. I?m not sure how this lightsaber thing is going to go, but we?ll see. Heh, and what can I say, I?m prone to random bits of fluff. Oh! And I have to mention, that Bastet is one of my favorite Egyptian gods, right after Hathor.

Gkilkenny ? Well, it may take a long time to get to Obi?s problem. I tend to write long ones, heh. And may I say, I love your sig! Haha. Two of the best quotes of young Obi-Wan. ^__^

Healer_Leona ? Thank you for the welcome. I am, indeed. I?m glad you like their relationship. Though, I must admit, it?s not likely to stay a bit angsty. In the LotR?s world, I have been deemed the Mad Maiden of Angst. I just can?t help myself.

MASTER_KAYM ? Thank you! For both! And yes, there will be more soon. ^_^

Zonoma ? Hehe, glad you liked that part. Yoda is a great little guy. I love Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon?s relationship, I find them fascinating.

Stella_Ripple ? Thank you! I shall try not to disappoint.

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi ? Why thank you, glad you like. ^_^

VaderLVR64 ? Thank you! Heh, don?t you just love animals and their nuances. My cat is the queen of the household. There will definitely be more soon.

Sithspawn ? Thank you. I will definitely remember to do that.

14. Shanny_bear

Jan 12, 2006
    I wanted to thank everyone again for the warm welcome. I?ve only been on the board for a couple of days and already I love it. Everyone is so helpful, thank you!

----------------------

Chapter 2: Midnight Counsel

Thinking: The talking of the soul with itself.

- Plato

---------------------------

Obi-Wan felt agony to match no other as he saw the disappointed look in his Master?s eyes. It was a look of betrayal, of surprise, sorrow and disbelief; the kind one gave when someone you loved stabbed you in the back. The kind of look, the padawan was sure, Xanatos had received when he had turned on Qui-Gon. A look Obi-Wan had never wanted to see directed at him. To Obi-Wan?s horror, he peered down to realized he had stabbed his Master not in the back, but through the heart. An appropriate target if ever there was one, he realized, as he again looked into his Master?s hurt eyes. Qui-Gon gave him one last sad look before he slid limply to the ground, leaving Obi-Wan to stare blankly at the azure ?saber in his hands.

A weapon he once loved, a symbol of his Jedi status, hand made to perfection? an object now tainted with his Master?s blood. The lightsaber fell from fingers too numb to hold it and clattered to the floor, as it?s blue beam disintegrated.

Obi-Wan dropped to his knees beside Qui-Gon, heart broken. It couldn?t be real, could it? He would never, never strike out at Qui-Gon! Just as he was about to scream, cry, damn himself, do something? the scene around him began to fade.

Suddenly he awoke in his bed. And he was calm, warm, and comfortable. It was a dream; it was all just a dream. Relief like he had never known flooded through the weary padawan. Obi-Wan looked over to see Bant sitting next to him with a bright, warm smile on her face. Her silver eyes were full of affection. Ah Bant? wait, Bant? What was she doing in his room? Next to his bed for that matter? Obi-Wan tried to ask her, but he suddenly found he was too tired to even mouth the words.

?Shh, it?s alright Obi, just sleep,? she said soothingly as she stroked his hair.

Ob-Wan found he couldn?t resist the suggestion and his eyes closed of their own accord. Something about this situation had Qui-Gon?s Force signature written all over and he let it wash over him like a cleansing wave. This time when he dreamt, the nightmares did not return.

-------------------------

Obi-Wan opened his eyes to find the evening sun shining in his window. The padawan blinked his eyes a few times as he collected his thoughts. Where had Bant gone? Was she really even here, he wondered? Then it came to him, of course not; she was a dream as well. A far more pleasant one then the first, he had to admit. The dreams usually didn?t start off distressful then end, err? happy. That hadn?t happed before, but then Obi-Wan remembered he had felt his Master?s presence before the dream ended. It would appear Qui-Gon had given him a little push into deeper sleep. In truth, he was grateful. Restful nights were becoming rare. It also affirmed his suspicion that his Master knew of his restless nights. And why wouldn?t he? The ever-diligent Qui-Gon rarely missed anything where his padawan was concerned. Many were the nights, that shortly after Obi-Wan had awoke in a cold sweat, his Master would come knocking on the door to see if all was well. Obi-Wan felt slightly guilty. Sharing a connective bond as they did, it meant that a restless night for the padawan, meant a restless night for the master. It also meant, to Obi-Wan?s surprise, that his Master had knowingly let him sleep half the day away.

Obi-Wan rose from the bed and shuddered as the disbelieving eyes of his Master flashed through his memory.

Always the dreams ended like that, or some other act of defiance. Treachery. Either from him or someone close to him. No matter his actions, no matter how hard he tried, it always ended like that. If he became angry, he struck them down, or if someone betrayed him, he was forced to defend himself.

Obi-Wan sat cross-legged on the floor and

15. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    =D==D==D=

This is so good!! I really like this story, it's so beautifully written! I hope this isn't a vision and Obi doesn't kill Qui for real! [face_worried]

16. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Good post...I wonder what Yoda means. Something tells me the mission won't go very well, though.

Thanks for the PM.

17. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Its great to see such a talented writer around the boards, especially one who writes obiqui stuff! ;)

Great chapter =D=
    Loved the way you described obi's dreams and restlessness. Poor those two- so much miscommunication! But does wonders for the angst level though :D Good thing yoda butted in, but why do I have a bad feeling about the yoda's last line? [face_worried]

18. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Great update, Shanny_bear! :D

Poor Obi-Wan, I feel bad for him being plagued by all these nightmares all the time. :(

?Too late, it may already be,? he said quietly before heading for his own quarters. [face_worried] Oh dear, that sounds ominous...

Can't wait for more! :D

[P.S.-And I have to mention, that Bastet is one of my favorite Egyptian gods, right after Hathor. Awww, thanks! [face_love] ]

19. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Oh dear, this is certainly a forboding though to leave us with! Was that a vision? Oh dear...
    Awesome work once again and more soon!

20. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    I'm very impressed, Shanny. This fic has been very entertaining so far!

Oh dear. This mission has all the makings of a disaster. "Sure," the Council says, "you can go...just make sure to concentrate, okay?"

And of course Obi-Wan's having these weird, distracting dreams. :oops:

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Will you please PM me when the next update shows up?

(Welcome to the boards! [:D])

21. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Great update shanny_bear!

Yoda stared after the padawan for a long while, then his small shoulders sunk as he sighed.

?Too late, it may already be,? he said quietly before heading for his own quarters.

In the words of the great, I have a bad feeling about this...

Look forward to the next post!

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, now I'm worried! [face_worried]

But a wonderful update! You're very talented, Padawan and a fine addition to these boards! [:D]

=D=

23. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I really like the interactions between Obi and Qui, and Yoda. They're written well. Poor Obi having nightmares. I hope he talks to Qui soon, and that it is soon enough. Yoda's last statement sounds quite forboding. [face_worried] Nice to see the Council having so much confidence in the pair, but Obi is all distracted.

Wonderful job so far! And welcome! [:D]

24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

This is terrific Shanny_bear[face_dancing]

poor Obi-wan his dreams are always a source
    of trouble for him
    and he can never seem to find the right time
    to discuss his problems with Qui-Gon[face_shame_on_you]

I hope Qui-Gon asks him what wrong soon.
    or they may be in danger[face_worried]

25. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    ?Too late, it may already be,? he said quietly before heading for his own quarters.

Too late? It's never too late! I look forward to reading when Obi-Wan tells Qui-Gon about his dreams....and what could be the source of them, I wonder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.