main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Convergence (An Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon, JA Era angst, adventure - Ch.4 Added (6/07/06)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shanny_bear, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Bravo!!=D=

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow. I'm very impressed!

I *loved* the lightsaber forms in the beginning post. Don't ever worry about putting too much technical stuff into a duel! That's what helps people like me visualize it! I could see it all very clearly in my mind's eye.

And the second post! Hrm something definetely brewing [face_thinking] Makes me wonder what you have in store for our two Jedi.

If you haven't yet, I urge you to join the character discussions in the Writer's Resource forum! We of the Qui discussion especially, always love newcomers!

Welcome to the forums! If you keep a PM list, I'd like to receive PM's when you update this :)

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    He was a Jedi Master, after all, and not supposed to let fear rule his actions. Especially fear over a three foot gnome with a?

Whack!

? stick.

[face_laugh] Loved that!

I like the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon here. Friendly camraderie, but Qui-Gon still knows how to put his padawan in his place. :p Those dreams don't sound too friendly, though... :(

4. Shanny_bear

Shanny_bear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2006
    MASTER_KAYM - Aww, why thank you! Heh, this story is one of my babies after all. =P And well, it?s not labeled AU, but I guess you never know. ^_~ I write by mood and inspiration as an idea strikes me.

Sithspawn ? Heh, you may be right. =P Thanks for reading and reviewing! And it?s no problem.

Stella Ripple ? Aww, well thank you for the complement. I love Obiqui! Heh, as you can tell. Ah yes, I love the angst. I hope you like it.

Bastet ? Heh, yeah, poor Obi-Wan. And it?s no problem.

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi ? Unfortunately, I can?t tell you. =P Thank you for your encouragement.

Fluff-Slayer ? Thanks so much! That means a lot. Heh, what would an angst fic be without a little disaster? ^__^ I definitely will PM you. Thanks for reading!

Kestrel_Kenobi ? You aren?t the only one. Thank you for the comment.

VaderLVR64 ? Hehe, apparently, you aren?t the only one. Aww, I thank you very much master mine! *Beams* I shall do my best.

Jedi_Tigris ? Thanks. I do try at character interaction. It?s one of my favorite things to write. Yes, Obi better pull his stuff together. Thanks for the review!

Gkilkenny ? Thanks so much! I guess with something that bothers you, it?s hard to find the time to talk about it, neh? Heh, and our Qui-Gon is a bit of a forceful one at times, isn?t he. Hope you liked.

ardavenport ? Honestly, I don?t know myself. =P And I think you?re right, it?s never to late! At least, for our pair, we hope not. ^_^

bmwgurl17 ? Thanks! Glad you liked.

Layren ? Heh, thanks! And well, I?m just learning of all the forms and stuff, so it was fun to write. I?m glad it helped you visualize things. And honestly, I don?t know what?s in store for them anymore than everyone else. =P

I?ve never heard of the character discussions. It?s under the resource section, you say? It sounds like something I?d be interested in. I love introspection? and Qui! If I can find it, I?ll definitely check it out.

And I?ll Pm you, it?s not problem. ^_^ Thank you for your wonderful review.

JadeSolo ? Hehe, so did a lot of people. Yoda is such a cutie after all. It?s how I image Qui/Obi. They?d have to be friends by now, but Qui is still the mentor after all. Glad you are enjoying!

5. Shanny_bear

Jan 12, 2006
    Sorry for the delay in this chapter everyone. It?s been a busy week. And I wanted to say thanks again for everyone?s support! You guys sure know how to make a newbie feel welcome.

Chapter 3: To Travel Abroad

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

- Sir Winston Churchill
    -------------------------------

Morning bloomed cool and clear over the Jedi Temple as it?s inhabitants rose to ready for their respective day. Out on one of the many landing pads a ship was preparing for it?s run to Tammuz-an and Alderaan. The captain and co-pilot went through their final preparations as Obi-Wan stowed his and his Master?s things aboard the Valantyn. Off to the side of the landing pad two young human padawans conversed quietly while waiting for their masters. Each where dressed in the customary attire, their short braids blowing in the wind.

?I can?t believe you get to travel with Master Jinn and Padawan Kenobi!? one whispered excitedly.

?Yeah, but we aren?t going to the same place. My master and I are going to Alderaan, nothing ever happens there.?

?Yes, but? you get to travel with Master Jinn and Padawan Kenobi!? he tried again.

?I?ll probably never see them, they?ll probably like, meditate the whole time or something.?

?Come on Jospa. Don?t be so negative. You should talk to Obi-Wan on your trip.?

?What if Master Jinn is around?? Jospa asked.

?It?s not like he?s going to bite your head off!? the other laughed.

?Yeah, but would you have the nerve to talk to him??

The other padawan seemed to pause a moment looking a bit unsure.

?I don?t know,? he answered honestly, ?he does tend to, ah unnerve me a bit.?

The boys quieted down as said master stepped out on the platform.

---------------------------

Mace Windu stepped out into the Coruscant morning sun and squinted slightly. He was followed by Qui-Gon and Knight Shais.

?Captain Benoo will drop you and Obi-Wan off on Tammuz-an,? Mace explained to Qui-Gon, ?then he?ll take Master Shais and her padawan to Alderaan. After that he?ll come back to Tammuz-an and wait for your mission to complete. Master Shais, Captain Orden of the Bartilmewe has agreed to bring you back to the Jedi Temple. The end of his trading business should coincide with the end of your mission.?

Master Shais nodded her head in understanding, the twi?lek?s blue prehensile tentacles moving around her shoulders.

?If we are done here, could I have a word with you for a moment, Master Windu?? Qui-Gon asked politely.

?Of course, the transport has a few minutes before it departs.?

Master Shais bowed to the Council member then left to retrieve her padawan and board the ship. They waited for the other master to vacate earshot before either spoke.

?If this is about the transport coming back,? Mace started, ?then I?m afraid you don?t have a choice. I?m not exactly pleased you?ll be left on Tammuz-an with no way off the planet for a few days as it is.?

?Actually, that?s not it Mace. I dueled with Obi-Wan yesterday,? Qui-Gon finished looking pointedly at the other Jedi.

?Ah, and how did that go?? Mace said with a twinkle in his eyes.

?I have to admit, he almost got a hit in, close enough to singe my hair.?

?Perhaps if you two duel enough, your apprentice will singe off a sufficient amount of your hair that you?ll have to get it cut, like your master, and the Council has always suggested,? Mace finished with a barely refrained smile.

?My hair is not the reason I wished to speak with you Mace,? Qui-Gon said dryly.

?Then by all means, please continue my friend.?

?Obi-Wan used a couple of interesting moves on me. One?s he could barely control.?

?Well,? Mace began smiling now, ?some things require more practice than others. But I know what you are getting at. Look Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan is old enough and skilled enough that he can, and should, be exposed to other techniques. That is a padawan?s job, to learn all he can, then deci

6. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooh the plot thickens. So they're being sent to a planet that might break out in war, and the warning not to take sides is very interesting indeed. [face_thinking]

Just adore how you write Obi and Qui's relationship. Very Father/Son. And the new padawan was perfectly adorable :p

[face_shame_on_you] Tsk tsk Qui, scaring the boy :p

Excellent post! =D==D==D= Looking forward to more, thanks for the pm! :)

Perhaps it is best said by Macbeth: Something wicked this way comes..

7. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    AAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!! [face_love] So cute! I love Qui and Obi bonding!!

And don't worry about being busy, I always am too busy to write, and people keep forgetting my story :p

If you could PM me too... [face_batting]

8. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    This is a really great story!! =D= You're a very good author. Please put me on your PM list. :D

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Things are getting more complicated! [face_thinking] I can't wait for more! I'd leave a more detailed review, but I'm tired. [face_tired] I'll just say, WELL DONE! =D=

10. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Lovin' it, Shanny_bear. [face_love] :D

?I have to admit, he almost got a hit in, close enough to singe my hair.?

?Perhaps if you two duel enough, your apprentice will singe off a sufficient amount of your hair that you?ll have to get it cut, like your master, and the Council has always suggested,? Mace finished with a barely refrained smile.
    [face_laugh]

That was funny how that little padawan was so scared of Qui-Gon, and how he didn't think that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon really ever talked to each other.

?It?s a good thing your port of departure is tomorrow or my padawan would be a nervous wreak by the time we reached Alderaan,? she said casually. [face_laugh]

That conservation Mace and Yoda had sounded ominous, though. ?Tested, will the master/padawan bond be. Tested to prepare for the future, it must be. Fail, they cannot. Or grave consequences, will it bring. Wait for young Kenobi to be ready, we cannot.? [face_worried]

And poor Obi-Wan is still having nightmares. :( I'm just glad Qui was there to help him. [face_love]

Looking forward to more. :D

11. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

No wonder Obi-wan doesn't tell Qui-Gon
    his troubles.[face_shame_on_you]

If Qui-Gon still intimidates young ones how bad was it for a young Obi-wan when he was first taken as an
    apprentice.[face_worried]

But I like the way Qui-Gon is showing concern for his padawan
    and finally Obi has told him of his dreams[face_dancing]

This is a very interesting story.=D=

12. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    What is it with those two and dangerous missions on war-stricken planets?

Ha, Qui frightening kids... He's one of those people that can effortlessly scare the living Sith out of people.

?I have sensed the disturbance in the apprentice?s mind and it will eventually effect the master. I fear it is a dangerous line they will tread.?

Sounds suspiciously like the dark side to me, what with the vision and the vaapad...

Good post.

13. Shanny_bear

Jan 12, 2006
    Layren ? It?s weird, but I do sort of see Qui-Gon as fatherly. Not really fluffy, or overly affectionate, but fatherly all the same. Heh, Jospa was just a bit of fluff.

Oh gosh, Macbeth is one of my favorite plays. And definitely my second fav Shakespeare, after the Taming of the Shrew. =P

MASTER_KAYM ? Yeah, me too. ^__^ I?m glad you liked it. Hehe, I?m so bad about keeping up with my writing. And I definitely haven?t forgotten about your story! I?m just also really bad about comment lately as well. o_O I?ll definitely have to try harder at that one.

I tried to get to your C2 group, but I couldn?t. I don?t know if it?s FF.net mucking up, or if it?s gone.

Micky-nikki ? Thank you kindly. I definitely will! Thanks for commenting.

VaderLVR64 ? Aww, it?s okay. Sleep would be best then. But thanks for checking it out anyway! ^_^

Bastet ? Hehe, so many of our thoughts are based on our perceptions, eh? Poor kid, he?ll learn. Qui-Gon is always there when needed. *Snuggles Qui-Gon* *Qui-Gon glares* Err? ahem, well he is anyway.

Gkilkenny ? I think Obi-Wan?s a bit different though, isn?t he? A little more determined. :p I just love their type of relationship and like writing it, he obviously. [face_love]

Sithspawn ? They wouldn?t know what to do if they weren?t going to a war torn planet. XP Yeah, I?d imagine him like that. I mean, he seems a bit omnipotent, doesn?t he? Ya never know, things are still a bit confusing aren?t they.

14. Shanny_bear

Jan 12, 2006
    A/N: I apologize to everyone for the ungodly long wait for the continuation of this story. There were two deaths in my family, then a short while later; my husband lost his only uncle. So life has been a bit hectic. Heh, it does have a way of beating you down, ya know? But now that things have settled down, at least for a while, I must say, I miss this story and site. So, on with what we all came here for, shall we? =P

-------------------------------------------

Chapter 4: The Arrival

I slept and dreamed that life was beauty.
    I awoke -- and found that life was duty.

- Ellen Stugis Hooper

---------------------------------------------

Qui-Gon sat patiently watching his apprentice sleep. True to his word that Obi-Wan would have a restful night, the Jedi Master had kept his padawan?s dreams at bay. It had taken a great deal of Force suggestion at first to suppress whatever was gnawing at Obi-Wan?s unconscious mind as he slept. But after awhile the boy?s fatigued body took over the role and he settled into a deeper sleep without the need of Qui-Gon?s aid. It was then that the Jedi Master retired to his own room to find what rest he may.

It was now morning and the ship?s artificial lights had brightened to a normal level. Qui-Gon had entered not long ago to check on his apprentice. The boy still slept, albeit a bit fretfully now and it would not be long before he woke. Qui-Gon was determined to let Obi-Wan awaken on his own to let his tired mind and body decide when he was ready to rise.

Somewhat lulled by the steady hum of the ship?s engines, the Jedi Master rested his chin on his hand and let his thoughts stray back to last night. Obi-Wan had told him of some of the dreams that plagued his nights, though they had not had time for his apprentice to tell of all. Through it all, though, Obi-Wan would not tell Qui-Gon about the one he had right after their sparring practice the last day at the Temple. This dream in particular, seemed to actually frighten his apprentice. Qui-Gon had been Obi-Wan?s mentor long enough to guess what the nightmare was about. Most of the nightmares had to do with betrayal and there had been a few times last night, when Qui-Gon had observed his apprentice?s eyes watching him with something unreadable behind those insular depths. He had dreamt of Qui-Gon. And most likely of his own betrayal against his Master. Dreaming of Qui-Gon?s betrayal against him would not provoke such a reaction, of that, the Jedi Master was sure. Obi-Wan would tell him of such a dream.

Qui-Gon audibly sighed before he caught himself. He turned his gaze to the wall without seeing. He was more than aware, painfully so, of why Obi-Wan would not share that inner torment with him. As much as Obi-Wan would want to talk about it, needed to talk about it, he would never willing divvy up that vision to his Master. It had taken a long time for the two of them to build such trust in each other, and he was all too aware that Obi-Wan had felt like he lived in Xanatos? shadow. Qui-Gon sighed again. He did not like to think that Obi-Wan still felt that way after all this time. The two boys were totally opposite. It was something they needed to discuss though, if it was to be mended. The Jedi Master?s mind was made up, it would be difficult for Obi-Wan to tell it, and painful for him to hear it, but endure it they both would. A wry smile found it?s way to the elder Jedi?s lips. Perhaps it was time for him to, as Mace liked to call it, pull rank, if necessary.

?Dare I ask what that knavish smile is for??

Qui-Gon looked down to see his apprentice awake and staring at him with a familiar glint in his eyes.

?Especially with you right next to my bed?? Obi-Wan continued.

The words were soft and even, but Qui-Gon felt the barely contained amusement radiate through their bond. To catch his Master so unaware, and while he was deep in thought, smiling to himself nonetheless? Qui-Gon supposed it would be rather entertaining were their positions reversed. Obi-Wan broke into a smile then, clearl

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    So sorry to about the losses of your family! That would be hard on anyone! [:D] Your family is in my thoughts :)

What an intriguing chapter! So Obi-Wan is having apprehensive spells. Methinks it's more than just that, likely a warning from the Force. [face_thinking] Obviously danger is lurking on the planet, just which will it be more directed at, Qui or Obi?

16. UltimateObi-Wan_987

UltimateObi-Wan_987 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm glad you've continued this story now because I don't think I would have stumbled upon it if you hadn't!

I'm truly sorry to hear of the losses you have experienced lately in your family and you have my deepest sympathy.

Now, on to the lighter stuff!... :p

I really like what you've done with this story so far, and I can't wait to see you continue it! I like the way you've portrayed Obi-Wan so far: an independent Jedi who can look out for himself, but isn't afraid to ask his Master for help when he realizes he needs it. This story is looking mighty promising to me, and I'm anxiously awaiting your next post!

17. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Yay! An update!

Well, Obi concerns me. What's gonna happen? At least, they're together :)

And, my sympathies to you and your family *Hugs*

18. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    I'm sorry about your family...That must be very rough[:D]

I'm glad you updated this, even if I almost forgot what happened before. Obi-Wan is acting strangely...It's probably Force-related. I still have a bad feeling about this mission.

Update soon, if you can...

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    So sorry to hear about all the family trouble. But we're glad to see you back [:D]

And with a lovely update no less! ;)

Although the padawan was quite sure he had temporarily lost his mind, he complied with the insistent healer. He closed his eyes and tried to find his center. He reached out to the Force. It was there as it always was? but it felt almost different somehow. Stop it Kenobi, the Force doesn?t change, only our perceptions do. Obi-Wan tried again, and this time, the Force, as he usually felt it, flowed through him and he released his fear and confusion into it. The healer must have finally been satisfied because the padawan felt the man?s steady hand finally leave his wrist. Monitoring my pulse, no doubt, he finally realized.

- Master? -

- Yes, padawan? -

- Can we talk, away from the others, please? -

- Of course. -

Obi-Wan opened his eyes in time to see Qui-Gon rise.

?Thank you Healer Tiam, but I can take it from here. Should I need your assistance later I will not hesitate to call
    .?

Loved the interaction between Master and Padawan here! Nicely done! =D=

20. nickenobi-nz

nickenobi-nz Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2005
    Wow, this is fabulous!

I've just found it and am only on the first page but I thought I'd let you know how much I'm enjoying it. :) I'll try form something more coherant and useful when I'm done :)

21. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    I'm loving this story! :D I hope Qui and Obi figure out what's wrong soon! Please update soon!

22. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm very sorry to hear about your family!

I already read your story so far on fanfiction.net and I must say, I'm loving it! I hope you update soon, I can't wait to read more!

23. jennytheohsoshyone

jennytheohsoshyone Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2005
    =D= VERY GOOD UP UP UP!

24. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    Splendid chapter =D= I'm eagerly awaiting more!

So sorry to hear about you family @};- @};- @};- @};- @};- That's rough :(

25. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Life is precious[:D] I am truely sorry for your family's
    loss.@};-

Looking forward to some wonderful
    updates from you@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.