main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Conversations with Kenobi (post-ROTS)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by wcleere, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Conversations with Kenobi

Eleven standard months after the formation of the Galactic Empire

Chapter One

Dusk. Inside the sunken courtyard of the Lars Homestead the sand had just cooled to a temperature suitable for barefoot walking. Beru had already watched the suns set with Owen, and Luke had just gone down. Gone down for the night she hoped. At 11 months of age Luke was still not sleeping through the night. He would wake often and try to pull himself up and escape his crib. Beru knew it wouldn't be long until Luke was walking and what then? Already like his father it seemed hard to keep him in one place for any length of time. Just that morning he had crawled almost out of the kitchen to try and make his way to the garage before Beru caught up with him. Owen was supposed to put a makeshift shield up so that Luke couldn't make it out of the indoor areas, but the harvest was in full flight, and Owen had a great deal to do.

Perhaps it was good that Kenobi was coming, Beru thought. Maybe he could help Owen complete making the Homestead child safe. But she wondered, in a distant part of her mind?what does he want? It hasn?t been even a year. She brushed away the thought. Silly. He just wants to see the baby, and say hello.

Up at horizon level, Owen could not so easily discard his thoughts. Kenobi had shown up last week at Anchorhead and asked if he could stop by. Owen had inquired politely as to why. Kenobi had responded that it was time for him to tell Owen about the final days of Anakin, about why Luke was brought here and so forth. Owen remembered shrugging and telling Kenobi it didn't really matter. He had heard whispers in dark corners about Order 66 & the Empire. He knew it was getting dark out there in the galaxy, and that it would be best to keep Luke away from it all. He welcomed the task of doing just that. But he didn't completely trust Kenobi. Why couldn't he just give us the baby and leave this place? We don't need a Jedi here. For Luke's sake, and for their own sake. Someday the Empire would discover Kenobi, and Tattooine would find itself on the Empire's map.

The distant sound of Kenobi's Eeopie was now just steps away.

"Hello There." Kenobi's voice beckoned Owen.

Owen took his gaze off the empty horizon that he had been staring at long after the suns had set. "Hello Master Kenobi."

"Ben, please." Kenobi smiled. "There's no need for such titles. Not anymore anyway."

"I wasn't sure." Owen squinted as Kenobi approached and bowed. He did not return the bow. He simply waited for the inevitable question.

"Where is young Luke?" The Wizard asked.

"He's sleeping." Owen responded somewhat tersely. "If you'd like to come inside, Beru has made us something to drink. If Luke wakes up, you can say hello."

Owen walked past Kenobi who followed him down to the kitchen. By the look on Kenobi's face Owen knew this was not going to be a short conversation.

Beru placed two cups of juice between the two men that sat across the length of the table from eachother. Obi Wan politely raised his cup in thanks. Without looking up Owen slid the cup close and stared directly into it.

?I?m going to bed.? Beru said after an uncomfortable silence. She kissed the top of Owen?s head, and offered a forced smile to Ben.

?Goodnight.? Ben said quietly as Beru left the room. He looked inquisitively at Owen, and stretched out with the Force. He sensed fear, confusion, and distinct love for Luke in the man across from him. And he didn?t need the Force to see that Owen seemed to age before his eyes.

?You look tired.? Ben offered. ?I imagine it?s not easy. I am grateful to you and your wife. For keeping the child and loving him as your own.?

?Well?he is our own now.? Owen said in guarded tones. ?He will grow up in this life. Simple, but it is rewarding.?

?I understand." Ben's fixed gaze was finally met by Owen. "I just wanted to tell you why it had to be this way. And to let yo

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Interesting beginning. I liked that Beru seemed to have more sympathy for Ben than Owen did. It also made sense that they would have heard something of what had been going on with the Empire.

Good job so far.

3. LukeSkywalker_2001

LukeSkywalker_2001 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm really interested in where you will take this story. I wished that a scene like this would have been in the movies...a scene in which Obi-Wan would tell Owen and Beru about what happened to Anakin, and the possible danger Luke is in

can you please PM me when you update, thanks.

4. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    Thank you for reading and for your feedback. I will PM you LukeSkywalker_2001. I plan to have more posted early this week.

5. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Very interesting.:) I have always wondered why Owen was so set against Obi-Wan, and I look forward to finding out your explanation for it.:D

Also, you do a wonderul job capturing Obi-Wan's character. The, "Hello there," made me smile.

Please PM me when you update!

Ani-maniac

6. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Good characterization of Owen. I'm looking forward to his initial reaction to what Obi-Wan tells him.

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Very well written start. You have captured the characters quite well.

8. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    CHAPTER TWO

Beru laid in bed, her eyes glued to the peaceful sight of Luke sleeping in his crib. From the kitchen she could make out most of what Kenobi had been saying. A volcanic planet. A duel. The sweet girl Padme. Poor girl. Beru wished she gotten a better chance to know Padme when she had visited a few years ago. Then Kenobi?s distant words hit her ears like the wind of a sandstorm?Darth Vader. She looked at Luke?s steady breathing. Complete perfection. She thought of his father, and how his mother must have looked on him like this so many nights. She could not possibly fathom how something so innocent could turn that way.

Darth Vader.

She wept for Shmi.

Owen poured himself some more juice. When Kenobi had begun the story, Owen had protested. He told the Wizard that it simply wasn?t a farmer?s business. But as Kenobi?s tale of betrayal, and mass murder continued, Owen accepted the fact that was his inheritance as well. He might as well know as much as possible.

?Where is Ana?Darth Vader now?? He inquired nervously. He half hoped the answer would be one word?dead. But Kenobi offered no such reassurance.

?When I left him, he was all but dead. I sensed the Emperor was closing in on us, and I left the planet. I felt it necessary to get Padme away from that place quickly. But I have not sensed Vader?s death. The Force is troubling at the moment, and I dare not reach too far into it, as I must keep my presence in the Force quiet. But I do fear that Vader was saved by the Emperor. And I can only conclude that he will spend his time planning further abominations, until all the Jedi are extinct.?

?Including you.? Owen asked with a raised eyebrow.

?I would imagine so.? Kenobi answered. ?That?s why I?m here. If there is one place in the galaxy that Vader is likely to avoid, it would be Tattoine. He will no longer think of himself as Anakin Skywalker. The memories of that life will be kept far away. Of course this planet is also quite out of the way. The Empire has little to gain in trying to control it. There?s no money here, no power or military.?

?That?s what we like about it.? Owen stood up, he was anything but a Jedi, but he could sense exactly what Kenobi had coming next.

?I fear there will come a time though, when Luke will no longer be able to remain hidden here. He will be strong with the Force, and he may be the only hope for continuing the Jedi lineage?for defeating the Empire. I would like to ask permission, when the time is right, to train the boy.?

Owen closed his eyes and pursed his lips. His pacing stopped, and he turned to face Kenobi.

?Master Kenobi?Ben. I?ve been a farmer all of my life. My father was one, his father. I have a small set of beliefs. I believe in the suns rising, the day?s work, the love of my wife, and raising our son to be realistic, with his feet on the ground. I do not believe in the Force, or idealistic crusades against the Empire. I thought as much about Anakin when he was here. My father was going to offer him to stay here. I wish he would have. But before we had the chance, Anakin had to go involve himself in some foolish war, and before I knew it he was gone.?

?With all due respect Owen. We didn?t think it foolish at the time. We were doing what we could to save democracy.?

?Well, whatever you thought, this is where it?s brought you, and I?m certain there are other places you?d rather be. Me, I?ve chosen to be here, and to remain here. I choose the same for my son.?

9. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    What a wonderful look at both Beru and Owen. I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to find out what happens next.:D

Thank you so much for the PM.

Ani-maniac

10. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Wow, this is looking to be a great story. Can I have PMs with updates as well?

11. LukeSkywalker_2001

LukeSkywalker_2001 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 18, 2002
    I really like how you closed the gap between the prequels and what Obi said in ANH to Luke about Owen.

I think this could be a possible scene from the movies :)

Great job!

12. wcleere

Aug 12, 2002
    It's been awhile, but here is the final chapter....

CHAPTER THREE

Little Luke stirred. He began to rub his eyes and sit up in his crib. Beru was far from asleep. She pulled aside her covers and walked over to the crib. She looked down at Luke, she feared for him, and loved him so much. On Tattooine she had always felt safely removed from the troubles of the galaxy. But now, with Kenobi in the next room, she felt as if this boy was sitting at the very center of the galaxy. Inches from the tempest that was swirling around it.

She picked Luke up gently and cradled him in her arms. She could hear Owen's firm words in the kitchen.

"I will not allow you to take Luke." Owen slowly turned away from Kenobi. He was not about to allow an emotional appeal, or a mind trick. He faced the wall and spoke plainly. "That will be the end of the discussion. He belongs to us now. He will learn his trade, and we will be his family."

"At the very least," Kenobi appealed. "Give him this." Kenobi pulled from his robe a laser sword, and extended his hand to Owen. "When he is old enough. It's what his father would have wanted."

Owen softly laughed. "You speak of his father as if he were dead."

Kenobi raised an eyebrow and slowly nodded. "I do."

"But you said it yourself, you don't know that he is." Owen turned to face Kenobi. "Perhaps you haven't thought this through."

Kenobi took a breath, and looked at the sandy floor beneath his feet. "Whether or not Darth Vader lives...I do not know. Anakin Skywakler, the good man who's love created this boy...he has been destroyed. Betrayed, and murdered, by what he became."

Owen shook his head. "If what he became is still alive, then Anakin Skywalker will not be the only one betrayed and murdered. They will come for you?they will come for Luke. I will not allow my boy to carry, or to even see that weapon. You take it with you when you go. Which by the way, can be at any time. Feel free to show yourself out."

Kenobi nodded slightly. He began to say he was sorry, when the memory of his former master revealed itself. To apologize, Qui-Gonn always said, was to take corrective action. To say ?I?m sorry? was merely an expression of feeling, and kept the focus on one?s self, and not on the living Force.

?I apologize.? Ben offered. ?I brought you this boy, to raise as your own.? His old master?s words rang in his mind again.

?Be mindful of the living Force?Keep your thoughts here and now?.?

He had come too soon. Ben realized he was pushing, thinking too far into the clouded future. He wanted to destroy the Emperor yesterday. But revenge was not his to have. Only balance. And he knew now that balance could not be achieved by trying to convince this farmer to give up his family for reasons he would never understand.

?I will leave you.? Kenobi continued. ?I will not trouble you again.?

Beru peered out from the bedroom. With Luke in hand she took a step toward Owen. Luke?s eyes opened as he gazed up at the farmer.

?Dada? Luke spoke in broken syllables.

Owen?s eyes widened. He looked at Ben not as the man whom he had just asked to leave, but as a kindred spirit. ?That?s the first time he?s said that.? Owen exclaimed with a smile.

Luke said it again. His eyes locked on Owen, his tiny hand outstretched to him. Owen took Luke in his arms and kissed his forehead.

?I?m sorry? Owen said to Ben, his joy erasing his anger with eacj passing second. ?I didn?t mean to snap at you. I just?well, he?s our boy now.?

No need.? Said Kenobi. ?He is your boy. His destiny lies on a different path than his father. For you are his father now. ?

?So he telling us? Beru said with a joyful tear. ?So he?s telling us.?

They both offered a reserved smile to Kenobi, and disappeared into the bedroom. Kenobi began to make his way out of the home in into the mild night storm to his Eeopie. The Force was with him. The Force of the moment.

In time, the boy will come to you. Continue to watch over him.

13. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Wow, very nice! Good old protective Kenobi, haha... Keep up the good work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.