main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** CONVERSION Help / Requests **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Wings3D is only a modeling app. You need to export it and then import it into an animation program (like Blender).

2. redgeneral

redgeneral Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    I have found that the following are free and all handle a variety of formats.

http://www.davidhsmith.net/downloaditems/3dexplor1_5.exe

http://www.davidhsmith.net/downloaditems/quick3D_Pro_4_setup.exe

http://www.davidhsmith.net/downloaditems/wc2pov27.zip

The first one though has a problem with max files and later lwo files.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Actually, everything has a problem with MAX files. Nothing but MAX can read them. Even the conversion programs require MAX to be installed on the system, and it opens up a MAX shell to actually open the file for it.. the file itself isn't really "read" by the conversion program.

3D Exploration is actually very old, and quite obsolete. It was replaced years ago by Deep Exploration, which has no trouble at all with the LWO2 format (but still has problems with MAX, like everything does).

4. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    If anyone can get those troopers and GG and the other .max things to .3ds, i can get them to .lwo format. Who has 3ds max?

5. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    HowardFilms posted on 5/31/05 3:05pm
    If anyone can get those troopers and GG and the other .max things to .3ds, i can get them to .lwo format. Who has 3ds max?
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Practically everybody here has MAX. Why LWO? You don't use LW, do you? 3DS is a fairly worthless conversion format anyway.. unless you prefer your imported models to be double their original poly-count.. your loss. OBJ uses quads. LW uses quads. Seems simple enough.

6. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    If you could get the .max files to .obj or .x that would work too. I am just used to .3ds, and i do have a poly reducer that really does not affect the look of the model all too much. In any case, I saw that someone mentioned they wanted clonetroopers in .lwo and Canvas imports/exports that.

7. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Anyone interested or know of anyone that has made an Ep3 Starfighter cockpit w/ MAX?

Please PM me regarding any info.

Thanks
    ~Rory

8. Redshirt

Redshirt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    This is a general request for the character models placed on SciFi-3d: All of the character models seem to be subpatched or smoothed. Is there a way to get versions of these files that are still the box model before subpatching? they don't need to be saved in a different format, just saved as polygon models. Starting from the box model and subpatching in your 3d software of choice would be greatly appreciated for all of us NON-3ds users out here.

If gMAX will do this or any other program, I can do it myself for my needs. I'd just like to get a method.

Thanks

Red

9. Talonias

Talonias Jedi Master star 1

May 25, 2005
    Can someone please convert the tie phantom by Tom Grays into a 3ds version for me. I need it for fan film.

10. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    could somebody just do a real quick lightwave conversion of one of the epIII clone troopers in the downloads section, from max to lightwave, same for one of the yoda meshes, max to lightwave

doesn't even have to be textured, just a straight export with default surfaces

thank you in advance

11. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    you're welcome[face_laugh] this is NOT a bump, just a figment of your imagination[face_laugh]

12. clericzach

clericzach Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone had any insight on either converting or atleast importing .geo and .bin files into 3ds Max 7? The files I'm trying to convert/import are from the "City of Heroes" video game. They're technically stored in a .PIGG file, but I used PIGG Viewer to extract the geometric files I needed. City of Heroes is made by NCSoft and Cryptic Studios. I checked up on their page and they are looking for 3D Character modelors who are Adept in 3DS MAX. So I'm assuming they most likely use it to create their characters lol. If anyone has any idea either reply or send me an IM (I'm on yahoo messenger a lot "zachwisor"). If need be, I can send you the .geo and .bin files. Ok, well thanks :D

13. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    so an interesting question is, even though only max can read max files, and only max can export them to other formats,
    there are freeware programs that can read both max and lightwave files to some extent? so couldn't those, in theory, support the plugins nessesary to do the conversion? or would all that 3rd and 4th party software wind up mutilating the mesh beyond recognition? like making a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy?!

14. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    theN00_Jedi posted on 7/25/05 11:06am
    so an interesting question is, even though only max can read max files, and only max can export them to other formats,
    there are freeware programs that can read both max and lightwave files to some extent? so couldn't those, in theory, support the plugins nessesary to do the conversion? or would all that 3rd and 4th party software wind up mutilating the mesh beyond recognition? like making a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy?!
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Do your research. You'll find that none of those third-party programs can actually read MAX files directly. What they do is open a proxy shell of MAX in the background, that opens the file, then communicates it's information to the conversion program. So, as you can imagine, it still requires MAX to be installed on the computer. In which case, you might as well just use MAX to open the file. You'll see that on all those programs if you read the info files. Sure, it'll list MAX* as one of the files it can open, but you'll see a little " * " next to it. Then, down below, you'll see " *-requires installation of 3D Studio MAX".

So, again.. NOTHING BUT MAX CAN READ MAX. PERIOD.

15. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    in that case, anyone want to spit out a .lwo version of one of the clone troopers real quick:D

16. TB-1019

TB-1019 Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2005
    I'd like to jump on the bandwagon for a converstion of both the Ep.2 and Ep.3 clonetroopers to .lwo or, preferably, .obj format. I need to be able to work with them in Poser and Bryce. Is there someone out there that can take a moment to do that? Please PM me if so. It would be really appreciated.

17. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    seeing as how this bandwagon isn't really moving, I thought I'd ask a different question, since there is an unrigged .lwo clonetrooper available at LWG,
    [image=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7174/clone14og.jpg]
    I was wondering if anyone had any good tutorials on IK rigs and the like..
    [image=http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/4601/gumbi6hl.jpg]
    As you can see, character animation isn't exactly my strong suit, and um, he kinda looks a bit like a heavily armored version of gumbi

18. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    HeHe, another clone trooper request.
    can someone please download the white and green episode III clone trooper from sci-fi-3d.com. and convert it to either of the following:
    .3ds
    .obj
    .dfx
    opitional: It would be appriciated it you could also put the trooper into the lionardo pose

and also can someone do the same for the eta-2 model from the same site (in one of the above formats)
    If you want to do it could you PM me
    thanks

19. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    Now, since I know there are people who have done the MAX to LWO conversion for the ETA-2/Jedi Interceptor, would somebody mind sharing one[:D]

20. Redshirt

Redshirt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    could someone save the TRON 3ds character files without the subdivision (metanurbs)? they would be easier to convert into other formats that way.

just a thought.

this would also be good for most of the other character models as well.

redshirt

21. Khalor

Khalor Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 3, 2004
    Heya, if someone could do a Cinema4D to something MAX can read for me, that'd be great. PM me for the model if you're interested...it's not public yet. For the fanfilm Threads of Destiny. Cheers.

22. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I didn't know this topic existed. I need someone to convert a Max 7 file to a 3ds or lwo file. PM me for more info

23. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Could someone please convert the spaceship hallway here, to a .lwo or .obj or .blend

Thanks!

24. BRYAN_SEECRETS

BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    Having some problems with a conversion of a 3ds or max file to XSI file. I've have the half parts of the mesh top and the other half is inverted in the conversion. If anybody can convert it themselves or knows of a good freeware prog, let us know. I have EPIII clone trooper meshes by Emilio Lorenzo in the process of 3ds to XSI conversion.

25. BRYAN_SEECRETS

BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    Could someone please convert the clone troopers here, to a .xsi format?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.