main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Converting Real Live action into 3d?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by QbnJedi, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QbnJedi

QbnJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    I was wondering if it was possible to take footage of me or someone else sword fighting and loading it into character studio or any other 3d program and making it 3d and being able to change things around. Hope that made sense. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

2. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    motion capture. i cant talk now, but i can describe it later.

search for "motion capture"

3. degobah1

degobah1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    well, obviously when you import it into a 3D program, it will just be a 2D plane, but you can import it as a texture. (but that's in C4D so i donno about max)

4. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    In Max you can make a plane and apply your video as a texture but as for changing stuff in it that way....you can't. But you could just try to use it with blue screen as long as you put an opacity map over it. But if you used motion capture equipment you can import the information and apply your actions to a biped, only thing is that the equippment is VERY expensive. Or you could go to a studio and have it done.

5. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    $=lots for motion capture. at a minimum a few thousand (i think...)

what you do is have sensors attached to your body then you do the movement, the computer basically reads the placement of the sensors and moves the corresponding body part to that location in the 3D program.

to learn more, please visit google or watch a behind the scenes documentary for jar jar in episode1.

6. QbnJedi

QbnJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Alright thanks for the replys. I looked into motion capture suits and they where like 5 grand and up. Thats why I asked if you can transfer footage into 3d without the use of motion capture.

7. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    GeeWare Motion Capture is a free motion capture program.
    The web site also has a lot of interesting links regarding the subject.

I haven't tried the program yet, so no idea how well (or eve if) it actually works.

Good luck.
    Have fun.

8. Jumbo_Fett

Jumbo_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    I'm still not totally clear what you're trying to do, but you could select key frames of your fight video to use as reference pics for placing and keyframing character rigs for the two combatants. It would be a total pain, but you could do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.