main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Coop's MARVELous Voyage

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The art in that is amazing. It really suited the alienness of the setting and Rider of the Void himself. I love how the story also departed from the Star Wars universe (literally!) and did something weird they don't often do in the franchise.

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    But of course.

Yeah, though I'm fonder of the idea that they're Orryxians.

Well, I can think of the Filar-Nitzan and a something that makes an appearance later in the Marvel run.

Yes, though the really interesting thing that was done with it was, as Hydro mentions, the retcon from "Aliens in the Empire." One of the smoothest and best-handled retcons in Star Wars history.

Well, considering how close it was to the Emperor's suspension of the Senate, I imagine there was quite a bit of legal shuffling around that time.

Yeah, that caught me by surprise during my first read-through, as well.

Well, the Wampa was one of the last effects shots they did (and never did get it quite right, which is why a lot of it was redone for the Special Edition), so the artists didn't have much to go on.

Al Williamson is awesome. I still go a little ga-ga when looking at those beautifully styled starscapes of his, filled with crescent, ringed worlds.

I think that was originally going to be a part of the movie; at the very least, McQuarrie prepared some art of it.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I am still reading, too... and damn you open my eyes for parts I seem to have not realized back then... keep it coming, will reread them too now

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Even you haven't read all of these?? [face_shame_on_you]

Ah, yes, the Cordordance of Fealty - the Swiss Army Knife of retcons. It slices! It dices! It lets Abel squeeze one more story out of Halagad Ventor!

Might be my favorite so far. Either it or The Sound of Armageddon.

We'll see. Got a looong way to go yet.

Yeah, I remember that now. Kind of lame that Owen would've taken down his own father's grave. How hard would it have been to just say "they're your grandparents"?

...whoa. I want to see a team-up with Vacander and Wutzek.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I always assumed that Farlander was the Y-Wing pilot.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Every ship in my Y-wing group was destroyed except for mine." - The Farlander Papers.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, it lives.

For the record - I finally got a new job, which is awesome as far as, y'know, eating goes, but this is gonna get pretty slow - hopefully once a week won't be out of the question. Expect the next update this weekend.

8. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    But Farlander significantly post-dates the Marvel material; it's obviously been retconned in the interim, but at the time it was completely reasonable.

9. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    But is still leaves unexplained what happened to the pilot of the Y-Wing if only Luke and Wedge are left alive.

10. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    Earlier I mentioned my favorite issues of the Marvel SW series. But I forgot to mention issues 60-63 were actually my personal favorites of the series which was the Shira Brie/Luke arc. But you knew that. I just forgot to mention those issue numbers. Again my favortie issues are 7,15,18,23,24,25-26,31-33,34,35-36,36-38,46,49,50,52,54,58,59,60-63,64,65,66,68,70,71-72,82,88,89,92,95,95-96,100 & 107.

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm reading this along with the comics as I go along.

Truly, Coop, you're HILARIOUS.

Bravo job all round.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [face_blush] [:D]

I'll do my best to keep ahead of you, then. ;)

13. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    So Coop finished the Marve Journey?

14. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    He's hanging out at Trip's thread now. It lives! A Marvel a Day! Whee! 8-}

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm squatting in Trip's thread and have declared ownership.

[face_peace]

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This is still my thread. I've just got friends looking after it and feeding the cat while I'm out of town for a bit.

17. DarthMRN

DarthMRN Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2007
    So, is this thread meant for people making up possible retcons as best they can, or is it assumed that Marvel is in fact a verified part of continuity, only its discrepansies haven't been sorted out yet?

If its the former, feel free to ignore me. If its the latter, I'll pre-empt by throwing a thermal det:

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=870
    * Establishes Marvel's Canon level.

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=870
    *Establishes what said Canon level means.

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=285
    *Further clarifies what said Canon level means.

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=270
    *Establishes that only individual elements of a referenced S-canon work becomes C-canon.

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=105
    *Establishes that when S is contradicted by C, it is discounted aka non-continuity.

Some of these quotes have to be seen in light of the preceeding ones to avoid misinterpretation, but you do the math.

On a more positive note:
    Hence, while there may be individual elements of say the Marvel Comics or the Holiday Special that are considered non-continuity, all the other parts can still be valid.
    http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&start=105
    *Establishes that S is never definitely thrown out before being found contradictory or ignored by a creator (thus becoming contradictory).

And to avoid me being responsible for a thread derailment, take it here if you wanna discuss the quotes or the nature of S-canon in general.

pronker likes this.
  18. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    This is a humorous review thread, not an umpteenth version of "DarthMRN abuses the canon policy".

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...plus, I can't actually figure out what the hell you're trying to say.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I understand what he's saying.

I just think it's wrong.

So, going to continue updating or just hang around my thread drinking Jawa Juice?

21. DarthMRN

Dec 28, 2007
    Oh, it is funny enough. But posts have been made to convice me knowledge of the canonicity of the comics in question is prudent.

I resent that. Unless I've read the wrong canon policy, that's the one demanding Holocron continuity, which AFAIK I'm following here. You can't possibly be saying that the Wook link means it's policy on S, the one established through popular vote and unsubstantiated, rather than actual Leland quotes, defines canon here too?

Hm. I was counting on you to do the math, but since you ask...I'm trying to say the discrepancies in Marvel can be ignored until they appear in referenced and retconned form in some C-canon, because once contradicted by C, they are rendered non-continuity. Now if this is just for fun, you can ignore me freely. There are always someone reading threads like this who didn't know that and might be interested. They are the target audience. There, done, carry on.

Excellent. Take it to the linked thread and tell me why. If there is a reason beyond "I grew up with this stuff and want it to be continuity" I'm very interested in knowing. I never really got anyone to elaborate on their conviction before. I can always stand to learn more about this stuff.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Nothing so large to print, I consider it as canon as the current Star Wars Material that's produced and referenced as much as it has been from Halagad Ventor articles to RPG material, there's no reason why it shouldn't have book level canonicity.

23. DarthMRN

Dec 28, 2007
    Oh. So just: "It's been referenced so much that the difference is too small to bother with"?

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, it's more the fact that if we're keeping the Glove of Darth Vader as canon, I see no reason why Hoojibs shouldn't be.

pronker and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. DarthMRN

Dec 28, 2007
    Maybe it isn't.

The only presumably C-canon sources for it (according to the Wook) are the "History of the Mandalorians" and "Evil Never Dies". The former has been contradicted by both KT novels and the SW Encyclopedia according to jSarek, making it questionable. That leaves the latter article. I'm no Hyperspace member so I haven't read it, but unless that too confirms some silly stuff about it, you could well be in the clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.