Cooter's take on the Dukes of Hazard movie

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by Korvyn, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korvyn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't know if this will be alright to post but i saw it the other day and just had to do something with it. here is Cooter's take on the new movie and i must say that i completely agree with him. for you who were born too late in life cooter is the mechanic on Dukes of Hazzard also a senator at one time. the actual message is posted at http://cootersplace.com/news_movie.asp

personally any movie that has both johnny knoxville and Jessica simpson has such little acting talent in that i wouldn't pay 8 bucks as it is.

THE DUKES MOVIE:
    DON?T GO UNLESS THEY CLEAN IT UP!

Hey Y'all,

I thought this would be a good time to let everybody know my feelings about the upcoming "Dukes of Hazzard" feature film, since if it weren't for the "Dukes" fans, our show would have been long since "put out to pasture." The folks who love our show have kept it alive and well, despite the lack of respect it has been shown by "Hollywood."

Websites like ours have been an extraordinary means of communication for the "Dukes" community. The power of the internet has enabled us to not only keep the show viable, but to help make it a hit show all over again. CMT is getting record ratings and the kids of America think it is a new show. In our business, it doesn't get much better than that.

Like our fans, those of us who worked on the show have a special affection for it. For over 25 years we have cared about it, nourished it, and fought for it. And it seems to me that it is time for us to have our voices heard again. From all I have seen and heard, the "Dukes" movie is a sleazy insult to all of us who have cared about the "Dukes of Hazzard" for so long.

You probably know that the creators of this film wanted absolutely nothing to do with the original members of the cast. Doesn't that seem strange to you, given how popular our show is right now, and how popular our cast still is? After all, our huge success for so many years is the reason they are making the film, and the film, after all, is about us.

In the last few years I reckon I've done many hundreds of interviews around the country on radio and television and for dozens of newspapers. I always tell them that ours is a classic family show with positive values, great action, wonderful slapstick comedy, mighty fine country music, and a very gifted cast who had great chemistry. America could tell that we were clearly enjoying what we were doing and for that hour folks could forget their troubles and just have fun along with us. It is exactly the kind of entertainment that families crave right now.

Lately most of the interviewers want to know my opinion of the "movie" version that is coming out in August. I've always tried to be candid with my opinions, and when it comes to this film, I think it would be a mistake for me to pull the punches. Like you, I haven't seen the film, but I have read the script, I've talked to a lot of people who worked on the set, and I've seen the raunchy t.v. commercial. Frankly, I think the whole project shows an arrogant disrespect for our show, for our cast, for America's families, and for the sensibilities of the heartland of our country.

Unless they clean it up before the August 5th release date I would strongly recommend that true blue Dukes fans hold their noses and pass this one up. And whatever you do, don't take any youngsters to see it. As plain as I can put it, the only thing this movie shares with our show is the title. Oh, they do have the General Lee flying through the air, although according to the New York Times, they didn't even use stunt drivers.

Sure it bothers me that they wanted nothing to do with the cast of our show, but what bothers me much more is the profanity laced script with blatant sexual situations that mocks the good clean family values of our series. Now, anybody who knows me knows that I'm not a prude. But this kind of toilet humor has no place in Hazzard County. Rather than honoring our legendary show, they have chosen to degrade it.

When CMT brought our series back on the air in February of this ye
  2. Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Master

star 3
    See the only problem with this guy is that he fails to realize the audience target of this movie. They arent going after kids younger than 13 or adults older than say 30. This movie is one for teenagers, high schoolers and college aged kids. I for one will see it, in fact my whole school will probably see it, though thats only like 200 kids. Another thing, in this time sex sells very well. Its everywhere, I would even bet its in the commericials during DofH on CMT.

Thats my opinion, and this thread should be locked I feel
  3. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    Why should it be locked?

I am more afraid that the movie will just be plain stupid. It seems like most of these old TV show remakes are: Brady Bunch, Starsky + Hutch, Scooby Doo.

Here's to hoping that it is better than Cooter and I think it will be.
  4. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    While I do agree this will be nothing like the old series, it look quite raunchy from what I take from the trailers. Jess wants to see it so I let ya know in good time.

As for this thread, I don't plan to lock it unless for some reason it gets out of hand. I do think a title change is necessary. Think I'll do that.
  5. Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Master

star 3
    I just figured it would start to get ugly in this thread. We all have our own opinions and we should but it could easily get out of hand. But perhaps this could evolve into a reaction thread more than a bashing of the movie thread
  6. penzargrat Force Ghost

star 1
    I don't know...that old Dukes TV show was pretty bad...them Duke boys getting in trouble and having to go on probation for a moonshine run...having a crooked police commissioner that was always involved in some illegal operation...the sheriff was pretty crooked too...Daisy Duke wearing those short shorts all the time, causing little boys watching to think all sorts of things...having Coy and Vance come in later, and Boss Hogg saying that they were even WORSE than Bo and Luke...

Of course, it was just about my favorite show when I was kid, and I didn't turn out too bad!
  7. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Times have changed for sure. Old Daisy Duke's short shorts are a far cry from New Daisy Duke's 2-piece swim suit! ;)

Back then it was a big deal to see a butt cheek. Now? We want more, so they give us more. [face_laugh]
  8. RedHanded_Jill Jedi Master

star 4
    when that show was on i was in high school and my brother was like 8. my mother got him a tshirt that said "duke of highland" we lived on highland dr. how gaye is that.
  9. StarkRhavyn Jedi Master

star 3
    I'd have to agree with the statement that this movie isn't aimed for "families" it's aimed at us 30 year olds who remembered the show fondly as a kid but can't stand how cornball and unbelievably family friendly it is trying to watch it now.
    Well, at least most of the episodes were that way. Cooter should remember how the first 10 eps were with Daisy in her red bikini, the boys trying to score with chicks, moon shine, bars, car accidents.

It's like if in twenty years, Pam Anderson complains about how raunchy the inevitable BayWatch movie is.
  10. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    Is anyone going to make a comment about his name?
  11. Korvyn Jedi Knight

star 1
  12. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    No that a guy who's character was named Cooter is complaining about lewdness.
  13. Korvyn Jedi Knight

star 1
    in the early 8o's that name didn't have the same meaning. like in the 50's gay was not a referance to a homosexual.
  14. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Cooter means lewdness? Man, I must not be up with the new words... or old ones for that matter. [face_laugh]
  15. jonboon Jedi Padawan

and that one cop was the oldest virgin in hazzard county, according to the first or second episode.
  16. jonboon Jedi Padawan

i've always known a cooter to be a slang for a girls hooha.

/finds Cooter, Missouri on the map
  17. RedHanded_Jill Jedi Master

star 4
    i was having a conversation with a yankee friend of mine who lives in michigan about this guy named cooter that helped his gang move furniture. he was taken aback at that name. he didnt think anyone with that name was real. in the south everybody knows a person named cooter. they are everywhere.
  18. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Never known Cooter to mean that. I was always under the impression that Coochie was a little vulgar, but never Cooter. Ahh, well.

On another note, if anyone feels this thread is heading a little... elsewhere, let me know and I will lock it if Henry wants.
  19. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    When does Dukes come out?
  20. Wet_Fett Force Ghost

star 1
    its probably gonna be crap anyways so why go see it? I am just gonna wait till it comes on dvd and i can rent it free at the Library.
  21. jonboon Jedi Padawan

yeah, it'll be in the "educational" section.
  22. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4

Ummmm

Jessica Simpson is one reason to see it

and who rents movies from the library????

23. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    People looking to save some money--it is much cheaper than blockbuster.

I was in a rut of buying SW books, but I have been going to the library a lot lately.
  24. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4
    Before I leave

Don't be haten on the blockbuster man

That be my place of work......
  25. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Hey, a certain Blockbuster ONLINE rocks the house. You guys should check it out. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.