main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coping With Frames!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by AERYN_SUN, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    well, i'd thought i'd add this to the board since a majority of the sites out have been built using frames.

i will not lie, unless you are not familiar with .html language, building a site using frames can be very difficult.

however, if you just type frames into google or dogpile, you'll have a lot of tutorials on this subject.

Includes all types of frames

This tutorial is really good if you do not have the time to learn about frames and want something quick.

Invisible Frames Take away the border and make you frames website, free of borders.
    drop down menus for frames -

you can also create frames yourself. if you have dreamweaver, you can use this program t create the type of frames website you want.

note: you can create the pages themselves in dreamweaver, but it's better to use microsoft word or microsoft frontpage. you can then insert the pages into the dreamweaver document.

once you have created all frames, it's a good idea to save every individual frame and name them something familiar (top, bottom, main etc.) and then save the whole frames set.

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    i will not lie, unless you are not familiar with .html language, building a site using frames can be very difficult.

Not to be rude, but they really aren't difficult at all. On the first website I ever made I used iframes. The biggest problem people have is that they think you can just stick a little tag in your HTML and have frames, so they don't target their links.

Frames themselves, especially plain old vanilla frames, aren't that hard at all.

3. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Well, they aren't extremely hard, but they can be tricky; especially at first.

4. Alybrylla

Alybrylla Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Take away the border and make you frames website, free of borders.

Ooh, thank you! :D
    I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of those annoying white lines ever since I put my sites into frames...

5. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    what you do to take away the border, is st the frame border to '0'

at least one person found this thread helpful, so i don't feel really bad about making it.

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm not a fan of frames. I haven't used them (on my own free will) in at least 4 years. The only time I used them somewhat recently is when I was designing a website for someone else, and they wanted frames. I tried to design a non-frames version, but they wanted frames. Later on, I started to develop another non-frames version, but I never really finished it.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I am not too wild abot frames myself. I hate it when I get stuck in someones's frameset when I click on a link from thier site. I do use Iframes quite a bit though, eventhough Netscape doesn't play nice with them.(netscape must die)

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    This is how I like frame to work - useful and neat :)

yes, its all my own work :)

malkie

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with xie, Frames aren't all that hard. I've had them since my first site, too. I targetted them and all. I actually have learned all my html by myself, and I do everything by html.

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    creating a website using frames is not easy for a webmaster or webmistress who's making them for the first time. i know, for me, i started to grasp little by little but not everything until i asked my brother for help.

the purpose of this thread to is help webmasters & webmistresses who need help.

11. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i'm making a website using frames and want to have my banner placed horizontally on the left side of the screen, but i can't seem to figure out the correct banner size that will cover all the white spaces. can someone help me, please?

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    One of the reasons why I dislike using frames is because if the user wants to go to another separate website, chances are that it will only load in the body window, while the navigation window and title window remain the same. This is often very irritating as it makes the size of the resulting page smaller, and is also rather misleading. Using tables and making them look like frames is much better.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    I personally like frames, if it is done correctly. A major part of that is not to use to many frames, and to make sure all links open in a new window. I think you can do some fantastic designs with frames. My one biggest pet peeve with frames is people who over-frame things, with windows all over the place that really do not serve the design. So I suppose my bottom line would be if you are going to use them, make sure all extraneous links open outside your frameset, and make sure your frames serve your site, not the other way around. Just my thoughts. :)

14. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    okay, here's the code for my site. could you all please help me. i want my banner placed on the left frame, vertically placed but i don't want any white spaces to be shown and i want to know how i can eliminate those white spaces.

~~

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Fated To Be...</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<frameset cols="282,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0" rows="*" bordercolor="#009933">
    <frameset rows="80,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
    <frame name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize src="http://www31.brinkster.com/fatedtobe/menu2.htm" >
    <frame name="mainFrame" scrolling="YES" src="http://www31.brinkster.com/fatedtobe/main2.htm">
    </frameset>
    </frameset>
    <noframes><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">

</body></noframes>
    </html>

15. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    index.html, with dots added in to clarify the seperation:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Fated To Be...</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<frameset cols="282,*" frameborder="0" border="0" framespacing="0">
    ...<frame name="Left_Column" src="whatever">
    ...<frameset rows="80,*" frameborder="0" border="0" framespacing="0">
    ......<frame name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize src="http://www31.brinkster.com/fatedtobe/menu2.htm" >
    ......<frame name="mainFrame" scrolling="YES" src="http://www31.brinkster.com/fatedtobe/main2.htm">
    ...</frameset>
    </frameset>
    <noframes><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000"></body></noframes>
    </html>

Your other pages:
    <body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0">

That will eliminate all whitespace. As demonstrated here: http://www.blenderwars.com/frame.php?module=models. Three frames. Can't really tell.

¤Night

16. WyethStar

WyethStar Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2002
    Frames. Ugh, In the past I always used tables for positioning because I hated frames so much. They're problematic and unless they're done "just" right, it's more of a clutter than anything else.

I would like to recommend CSS for positioning/layout. It's relatively easy to use (the basics are anyways) and is much more versatile.

Tutorials can be found throughout the web. you can also visit my site that is under construction to see the very basics of CSS. (view source). You can find it in the (fan site) thread.

17. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    thanks.

in the code, where does "<body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0">" go?

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Like on all pages, just under the </head> tag.

19. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    thanks, kadue :D

20. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    For someone who has no idea of html they can use a program with a graphical interface to create frames with a few clicks of the mouse. Microsoft Word is pretty powerful for beginners. From there you can learn the html.

21. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    my first class of web design was this morning. the teacher is awesome and it's a very small class, but so far, it looks it will be easiest and my favorite class. and i'm probably the most experienced besides the teacher since i have created four websites already.

and ofcourse, any tips i learn about in there, will appear here too on board.

22. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Frames are Naughty. They're ugly and cluttered. Actually they're all right if they are just one small frame that goes away when you go to another site and let's you resize it out of view when you don't want to see it.

23. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i actually understand frames now. one day, i was working in dreamweaver and i don't know, all of the sudden, i knew exactly what to do.

~aeryn

24. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    CSS support is so poor. I try to avoid it, when possible.

And why use Word? It pages are so full of garbage: XML, CSS, VB Script, most of it only works right in IE anyway.

25. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    set your scrolls as "auto". then if the page doesn't need the scroll bar its gone, if it does then it apears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.