main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

COpy Right Laws!!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by windbreaker13579, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windbreaker13579

windbreaker13579 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    help! I want to make a website that has hundreds of star wars pictures.....
    Is it against the law to do that???? I mean i it legal to use star wars pictures on my website......
    what if i wanted to put ads on the site.... would it be legal to do that??? please help

an example of a website i want to make is at http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/SWPics.htm

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    You are allowed to have a gallery with Star Wars pictures on it, as long as they are NOT HyperSpace pictures.

What kind of ads do you want to put on it?

3. windbreaker13579

Sep 24, 2005
    if i get enough hits mabye ill try to make money by putting ads on the site.......

4. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! You cannot make a profit off of a site that has copyrighted material on it. That is a no-no [face_shame_on_you].

See, making Fan Sites, Fan Fiction and Fan Films is allowed. There is an unspoken agreement between the fans and George Lucas saying we can tinker in his galaxy with these kind of things. BUT, the only condition is that we cannot make any profit off of it. So, you cannot put ads on your site.

5. windbreaker13579

Sep 24, 2005
    thank you...... :)

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow. Okay this is cool. I geuss taht means I won't have to write LFL to make a fanstie for my senior project.

-Actualy, I probably will. The teachers are big sticklers for taht kind of thing.

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Technically speaking, what we do as fans (use the names, images, locations, etc. of copyrighted material) is illegal. At any time LucasFilm could come down on those who use anything without permission. However, just so money isn't being made the company has been known to "look the other way" (so to speak) when things like Fan Films and such are created. If no money changes hands you're generally safe, but the reality of the situation is that it's still technically against the law. :)

Just a note. ;)

9. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    You trying to steal my thunder? o_O

I think it would be fine, especially because it is for school. But, it's really your teacher's call in this case.

10. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    jedimasterbac posted on 9/24/05 4:44pm
    You trying to steal my thunder? [face_raised_brow] [hr][/blockquote] Nope, just clarifying. ;)

11. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.