main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Copyrighted music question

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by degobah1, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. degobah1

degobah1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    I am entering a film in a contest that will not let you use copyrighted music, i was wondering if i could use a classical piece, like Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, no one owns the rights to those songs, do they?

2. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    As far as I know, the actual piece is public domain, but specific performances of said piece may be copyrighted.

3. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    I'm pretty sure someone does, but I'm not sure who.

4. degobah1

degobah1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    2 different answer, lol well now im confused. Doggans i am pretty sure i will be using 1812 overture, do you know for sure? does anyone?

5. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    copyrites expire after a while... but as to these, i'm not sure... sorry.

6. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I do believe that music as old as Tchaikovsky is in the public domain. The only problem is this: Specific performances usually are copyrighted. You'll need to find either a public domain performance or record your own.

-Paul

7. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Exactly. Even though the music itself is in the public domain, a musical recording of the piece is protected by copywrite. So you couldn't use it.

You could just record your own version of the overture.

8. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    Haha, yeah, do a "vocallly emulated" version where you record yourself as all the instruments and mix em!

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    As far as I know, the actual piece is public domain, but specific performances of said piece may be copyrighted.

This is spot on. Copyright on music lasts until 75 years after the death of the composer (used to be 50), with the exception of Gilbert and Sullivan (their family has the copyright indefinately).

You can record your own version and use it, but specific performances are copyrighted by the performers

10. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Art: Look up the "Swingle Singers" for an acapella version of the 1812 overture.

-Spiff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.