main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coral skippers and YV batleship inquiry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master-Anakin-Solo, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    Well this is my first thread and I hope it will generate a few discusion.

I was just thinking, if the YV batleships and coralskippers propel themselves by creating a gravitational force in front of the, so the would get porpulsed by it, when wy a coralskipper or batleships doesn't get affected when it creates a blacckhole to absorve the enemys fire, and moreover why it doesn't get suck into it.

If you have any ideas on how this is possible let me know 'cause I'm lost here

2. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Simple answer is that while they disturb gravity to move, it doesn't go far enough to create a black hole. The black holes are only used for fighting, but the gravity is used always.

3. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    The dovin basal projects the black hole outwards, in a way I guess it is bent towards space away from the ship. We know it's not the ship material that has an immunity, since in Dark Tide a dovin basal curved on itself and swallowed the vehicle it was attached to. We also know it can do only one thing at a time, whether it be shielding or moving or stripping shields. Therefore they have a maximum energy output and cannot cave in on themselves.

4. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    Ok, but when the dovi basal creates the black hole this sucks everything, even ligh, so how come it doesn't touches de skips

5. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Good question. I've been thinking about that too, and I kinda have a theory on it.
    They've used the fact that absorbing fire, or moving faster, taxes the dovin basals and cuts down on their effectiveness. I'm thinking that this is because there are actually two different 'settings' on a basil: propulsion and defense (of course, you're all saying. Kinda dumb to think otherwise, non?).
    They mentioned in... DJ, I believe, after capturing Nom Anor's ship and were tinkering with the tech that was on there, that the basil basically just pulled itself toward anything that was in the direction it needed to go. If they needed to go to Coruscant, the basils would all focus in on the gravitational field of Coruscant and use it to propel themselves forward (at least, that's how I think it works.)
    Defense, specifically sucking in ships/lasers/torpedoes/etc, I believe works on an entirely different principle. Instead of using the pinpoint accuracy that the propulsion uses, it uses more of a vacuum effect, converting power from propulsion to a wider arc and shorter reach for defense.

Hope this answers your question.

6. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Like I said, maybe it has a maximum amount it can take in, as they can only do one of their functions at a time. So perhaps they are too weak to swallow the ships, unless otherwise moved/bent.

7. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    It isn't projected at the end of the dovil basil, or at least its not supposed to be.

its like this
    ...................._____
    .................../
    skip)basal)---| black hole
    ...................\_____

ignore the periods

As to show that the hole isn't on the surface, but a few meters away.

8. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    Only took 3 tries to get it right.

9. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Sticky keyboard eh? I know the feeling.

And just a note, the correct term for their gravitational drive would actually be "prepulsion" because they're being pulled instead of pulled.

10. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    No my keyboard wasn't sticky.
    The spaces don't show up when there are multiple of them, that was one edit. And here in the text box, all characters take up the same amount of space, but they don't when you post, that was edit #2. And edit #3 was to add the explanation at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.