main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Coraline] Constant Ghosts - Coraline goes back 20 yrs later; has X-over of another Gaiman character

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by madman007, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Here's another plot bunny that just had to come out. Thought of this the other night. Hope you enjoy and review as you see fit.

Constant Ghosts

Setting: Twenty years have passed since the events that happened at Coraline?s house of her youth. Coraline goes back alone and ponders if it really happened at all. She finds help through a mysterious woman; a crossover character from another Neil Gaiman series, Sandman.

Author?s note: This story is based on the book, Coraline, not the movie.

Disclaimer: I own none of the characters, which are the sole property of Neil Gaiman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The place looked smaller than she remembered. The real difference was that it was entirely empty. There were no longer any residents there. It had been a lifetime since she last set foot on this same ground. Everything was to be gone by the next week. The house. The even more dilapidated tennis court. The grassy meadows. The old well. Her mother had spoken to her about its demise at her father?s funeral several weeks ago.

Her real mother.

Coraline gasped at that. She never referred to her mother as her real mother since?since it happened.

The grown Coraline stood in the same spot she had twenty years ago when her family moved into the house of three flats. It looked run down now. The wood was deteriorating from termites. Windows were broken from rocks thrown at them by local children in the area. It looked used up. Vacant. It was also absent from her life for several years now. She stood in front of it remembering the times she went out and explored. Her days of exploring dwindled over time. She suddenly felt lonely in that same spot where she once stood at the age of nine. Her family became more financially stable thanks to their business, and they eventually moved away into a grand house outside of the city. Though she was raised in that grand house, it was here in this house where she grew up. That was the result of what happened.

The reality of what she did back then was clear to her at the time. It was eerie for her to believe how that clarity had faded over time. The more distance in years that stretched from it, the less she understood what had really taken place here. Was it a dream? Did she imagine her parents being trapped inside of a snow globe? Her parents had never mentioned the experience. Did it really happen?

Coraline suddenly grasped at her leg. She thought she felt something scurrying around it. The clicking filled her ears. And then it was gone. Perhaps it was just a blown twig. Or maybe?it was her other mother trying to catch her leg.

Coraline ignored it and started to walk towards the tennis court, which now looked even less like what it should be. She looked up at the house as she passed it. The Amazing Bobinsky used to live up there. He had passed on years ago, she heard. Coraline looked down at the empty stairs that led to the bottom flat. Ms. Forcible and Ms. Spink moved away not long after Mr. Bobo passed. Coraline had not heard from either of them since. She kept her pace as she neared the tennis court. Several weeds and limbs covered the court now. It was a grey day but not too windy. The natural debris stayed where it was. She reached the meadow of tall grass, which was not as tall as it was in her youth. There were several more trees on the path than she remembered. Soon, Coraline could see it over the hills of the meadow. The old well.

Memories of her special picnic she had with her dolls came flooding back. She reached the well with an almost automatic urge. She had to see it. There were numerous vines and leaves that had fallen on the opening. She started to scatter everything to one side, avoiding the insects and spiders that had made it their home. The planks that she placed over top the well were still there. The ash colored wood was weather beaten now. She began lifting the planks. She remembered them being so heavy when she was nine. The wood had somehow lost its weight over the years and she had no

2. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Was there no one who read this? Maybe now after the DVD came out?

3. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2009
    I haven't seen this beautiful piece before. I have to admit, I only read the book, never saw the movie until now. It did come out just very recently here.

I love the story, it's so beautiful and the idea of putting Death in there, really awesome! You caught the feelings of Coraline very understandable, it was so... well, I could feel with her. Her doubts if anything had happened after all and yet being scared of it. And there is Death inside and you caught her perfect in my opinion. The whole dialogue and her answers were so Death-like, I really loved it.

4. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Thank You! Finally, a review after how many months. My one little obscure story is among all the Star Trek and Harry Potter fics that are more popular. Personally, I'd rather have few reviews like yours instead of several "Good job!" "Excellent!" "Love it!=D=[face_dancing]@};-"

Like I said in the intro, this is based on the book, since she describes the ending with the tablecloth over the well. I read the book a while ago and when I found out it was going to be a movie I had to read it again. This scenario was something I wondered after I read it the 2nd time. How would Coraline feel about what she did decades later? And for good measure, I added Gaiman's character Death to help her. I've written Death before in one of my Star Wars epics involving Mara Jade, and those who were familiar with Death said I nailed her dialogue down pat. Like you did.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.