main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Corde's Failure

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by morgue, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgue

morgue Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Corde: "Sorry my lady I failed you"...

...Captain Typho: "This vote is very important. You did your duty - Cordé did hers. Now come. Senator Amidala, please!"

How did she fail Senator Amidala? She did exactly what a decoy is hired for and she did such a good job they killed her.

Possible explanations:
    - She failed to get to the Senate as Senator Amidala... That wasn't her duty, she was supposed to be a decoy, on the contract I'm sure it doesn't say for how long you are going to be a decoy (well it sure has small letters that say "Until you get killed").

- She failed 'cause she was part of the security and stuff... no she didn't she is a decoy, just pretend to be someone else to protect the other person, that's a decoy, that she did well...

I guess to find the answer there must be some book or something just before the events of Ep2 where they talk about going to the Senate to vote and stuff... is there anything like that?

2. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    I'm wondering about this as well. After all, she was a decoy and, insensitive as it may sound, dying to protect the senator can't be considered a failure.

3. morgue

morgue Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    so this has no answer then...

4. Edel-Ien

Edel-Ien Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Maybe George and that other guy he wrote the script with decided to thorw in one of those snetimental moments in films. Like, the dying one professes regret of failure. They probably weote it in and never thought about it. It probably seemed like a good thing for Corde to say. I was going to ask this , but there's this thread, so nah.

5. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    She believes she failed because--being dead--she is no longer able to serve as the Senator's protection.

I guess to find the answer there must be some book or something just before the events of Ep2 where they talk about going to the Senate to vote and stuff... is there anything like that?

The Approaching Storm occurs just before AOTC, but I don't know if it has what you're looking for.

6. Master_Yoder

Master_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005

Dude she was also her handmaiden.

7. lightsaberbeam

lightsaberbeam Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    Corde probably was upset that she didn't anticipated this kind of attack on her and was fatally injured in the process.

Besides, Corde's role as the decoy was exposed the moment the real Padme come out healthy in the Senat.

And also Padme probably want everyone of her decoys escaped out without being fatally injured, Corde know that and probably feel like that she was failing down on Padme by being fatally injured. It's either tha, or Corde's statement of her failure to Padme is just another sentimental line thrown in to invoke emotions from the audiences.

Nevertheless, Corde have done her job nicely, it's too bad that she was fatally injured in the process.

8. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    This reminds me a of a scene that I always get a chuckle out of which is when Padme is leaving with Anakin for Naboo and her other handmaiden/double is crying and claims she's crying because she's worried about Padme. After seeing what happened in the opening of the film I'm pretty sure she's not crying out of fear for Padme. She asks, hopefully "what happens if they find out you left the capital?" And Padme's like don't worry. The poor girl's probably like God, let them find out the second you leave so there not coming after me :(

9. desolateorchid

desolateorchid Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Haha, coincidently, I re-watched Episode II again this morning and also thought the very same thing for the first time when I watched that scene. She could easily be interpreted as worrying for her own life, rather than Amidala's, though I would like to think that isnt the case, her being a loyal handmaiden and all. ;)

As for Corde, I would go with the theory that she felt she had let Amidala down by dying in the field. Its a bit of a stretch, but that is always how I have felt she meant the line.

10. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
    I also wondered what she meant. Ultimately, like many, I came to the conclusion that she felt that Padme would have been in more danger, because she would've had to openly go to the senate making her a perfect target for assassins. Of course, we all know that another double and Jar Jar Binks took her place, and Corde did do her duty.

11. SwoopLocke

SwoopLocke Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2004
    Corde didn't fail Padme. Its just a dumb line that shouldn't have been in the movie.

12. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    "Sorry my lady, I failed you..."

Is more dramatic then,

"Sorry my lady, I fai....wait........what the hell am I apologizing to you for? I'm the one laying here bleeding. Where's my apology b****?!?!?!"

13. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    I forgot to post my response to the actual topic before, oops.

I interpret the line as a little bit of melodrama. Her job is protect the Senator and she does that but because she was killed she's unable to protect her any further, or all the way to the Senate, her ultimate goal.
    The line is to make the audience understand that Padme's mission is so important and of such grave consequence on a galactic scale, (and understood by others to be such) that her bodyguard's only regret in dying while protecting her is that she is now no longer able to protect Padme because of her death. Basically it shows how fervently they believe in Padme's mission.

14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Those handmaidens, Dorme, Corde, Sabe were all very loyal to Padme. As a matter of fact they were too loyal if there's such a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.