main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CORE DUEL

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Mae, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Hey guys. I do not know if this was mentioned or brought up earlier, because I don't monitor the forums frequently, but...

Would anyone liked to see another fight go on after Obi-Wan jumped back up from hanging on at object? I know this would conflict with the story, because all the other battles and situations were coming to a conclusion, but just to have it really end with another intense fight, to distinguish this battle from the other two in the film.

I would have really loved to see his flip behind Maul with the green saber, and then Maul block the attack (Which he should have, if he wasn't busy staring off into space) and the two go at it for another good round of choreography. Maybe not as long as the first set, but really sweet stuff.

Another thing, would Obi-Wan still have killed Maul? My opinion is undecided on this, and I would like to leave this open for anyone's thoughts.

Thanks for reading...

2. Mae

Nov 25, 2004
    Quick BUMP.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Hah, maybe I should ask for it to be removed..

3. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Actually, yeah, it would've been very cool if Maul did block Obi-Wan's final blow and they went at it for another minute or so before Obi-Wan slices him in half. It would've taken away all the controversy that Maul just standing there generated. Plus, it would've been surprising. And I think everyone would welcome the two of them dueling for a bit longer.

4. Mae

Nov 25, 2004
    Yeah I totally agree. But, then we need a way for Maul to die. Haha.

He's really good at not dying..

But I guess not in this film.

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    It's not even that it's "cool," it's just should have been what happened. I love the prequels, but that's one moment where I thought my intelligence was insulted. This is the guy who took down a Jedi master, kept Obi Wan constantly on his defensive, yet he just stands there and lets himself get cut in half? Pish. Please.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    *Rolleyes*

Watch the fight again, C-S. He *barely* defeated Qui-Gon (it certainly wasn't a gross overmatch) and if anything, Obi-Wan was controlling the direction of their one-on-one.

Maul, if you watch his footwork, is always about offense. Hence why he'd be an easy kill-look at his face when Obi-Wan is about to do his move-he looks like he's getting mind-whammied. Maul didn't have the foggiest idea about what Obi was about to do.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    That doesn't negate the fact that he took Qui Gon down to begin with. Yes, Qui Gon was on the offensive for most of that battle, but he still lost. What makes Maul so ferocious is his speed - and he had plenty of time to react to Obi Wan's flip. It's not even the matter of whether the move is bad; it's simply that Maul just *stands* there and stares for a second. The only thing I can assume is that Obi Wan's move is supposed to be faster than what the human eye sees.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yup.

Or...he's getting mind-whammied. ;)

9. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    It would have been nice to see the two of them duel again after Obi-Wan's jump, but it worked the way it was.

I'll admit that sometimes it bothers me that Maul just stands there...

But I think Obi-wan's jump was suppossed to be faster than how we saw it. They can't very well make him look like a blur on film, right?

Plus I think Maul was in shock that this wee little Padawan could control the Force like that.

10. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    it would have worked so much better if they went at it for a little while longer & obi actually out maneuvered maul & then cut him in half.

11. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    The way Maul died should really have been a bit more subtle. There's almost no intelligence required to think of a death like that for Maul, and I'm sure if they put a little thought into it, they could have came up with something better.

But IMO, another saber fight after coming out of the pit would have been too much. It would be just plain boring.

12. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    The way Maul died should really have been a bit more subtle.

Actually, that's the absolute opposite of what Lucas desired. He wanted it flat out known that Maul wasn't coming back, that he was dead and gone for good. And he did this because he knows he's had characters introduced of nowhere in films that people felt were dead (Obi Wan, Yoda, etc.) and didn't want speculation of Maul returning since another Sith acolyte would be created in the next film.

Given the fanatical nature of Star Wars fans, I don't blame him. Even cut in half, I've seen topics theorizing Maul wasn't dead. :rolleyes:

13. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I didn't mean that it shouldn't be shown, actually it's better that he dies so obviously for the purpose, as you said, to eliminate any doubts of his death.

What I did mean was that it could have been done with a little more imagination. Having Obi-Wan pull himself up the way he did and Darth Maul not noticing anything never convinced me. I don't want to get into EU, but the book Darth Maul Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves shows clearly that Jedi and Sith alike have a sense of every moving molecule in the room around them, and they extend this ability even more when they are in battle. The fact that Darth Maul actually saw Obi-Wan flying through the air and over his head and supposedly feeling Qui-Gon's lightsaber move towards Obi-Wan's hand through a manipulation of the Force and at the end getting so easily cut down is not convincing for a moment. Especially given that Darth Maul, besides having a sense of everything around him, has lightning-fast reflexes.

14. Fanmenace

Fanmenace Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    *The only thing I can assume is that Obi Wan's move is supposed to be faster than what the human eye sees.*

Yeah - except Maul tracks him as he passes overhead. IMO, Maul was overconfident thinking he had Ob1 beat and was taken by surprise.

What I want to know is when Ob1 cuts Mauls saber in two, why does he kick him down instead of taking him out? That would have been more of a 'real world' end to the duel than the 'suspense'.

15. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

It owuld have been great to see the duel go on. But you see, lucas and gillard worked themselves into a corner, they made maul really really good. There is no way obi-wan could have taken maul down had the duel gone on; no way to make it believable. Thus, they picked the cheesy and stupid ending, since it was the only oppertunity they could find after almost 15 minutes or so of a one-sided duel. (aka maul winning)

16. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    There is no way obi-wan could have taken maul down had the duel gone on; no way to make it believable.

Sure there. Have Obi-wan flip up over Darth Maul, they fight some more. Then, just as it looks like Maul is going to kill Obi-wan, Obi-wan just uses his patented "cut off the arm" technique. Maul w/out a lightsaber is useless.

As to the question would Obi-wan have won, well He's in Ep IV. I kind of obvious he had the Jedi hutzpah to survive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.