main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Corellian Jedi

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Artemesielle, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemesielle

Artemesielle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    I've heard references to it in what EU lit I've read and from friends of mine, and I want to know more about them. My knowledge of the EU is severely limited, given the fact that I never read more than a third of the total books published, and it's been almost 6 years since I read the last one.

This question is prompted by another gianormous plot bunny that just blind-sided me in the last half hour or so. I've kind of gotten the impression that the Corellian Jedi tradition was somewhat seperate from the one based on Coruscant. Almost like the different sects in any given major religion today.

So anyone want to enlighten me? ^_^ This could be a good resource in the future too, for anyone else who decides to write about them.

2. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Not exactly sure what you are looking for, but i have heard that Corellian Jedi seem to go against the rules somethimes (just what i read somewhere).
    Corran Horn is a Corellian Jedi. Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin are part-Corellian Jedi.

3. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes. Which with my impressions and allusions to how strict the Coruscant Jedi Council is, I'd imagine the possibility of a split between the two at some point in their history to be a very real possibility.

Kind of like the Catholics(Coruscant), and the Protestants(Corellia).

4. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    I don't thin they ever split, but they just have diferent views on things than the Corascant Jedi Council... Anyone else want to shed some light on this? My knowlage on this matter isn't much...

5. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't really mean a split quite so severe. More like one Council makes decisions and such independently of the other type thingy... Maybe like two different states in a country?

6. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Hmm. Don't know. DCWiz00 might know, but he hasn't been on lately. If you're they DCWiz00, can you shed some light on this?

7. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Well, I'm not DCWiz00, but I'll try to shed some light on the Corellian Jedi.

You can't really look to post-ROTJ for examples of Corellian Jedi, because then Luke is trying to figure out the rules of what being a Jedi means, and essentially, these new Jedi are seperate from the traditions that governed the Jedi Temple.

Anyway, the Corellian Jedi had their own traditions, seperate from those of the Coruscant Jedi. Since they tended to stick to their own home turf (Corellia) and patrol it, and since they were, you know, Corellian (and the reputation that attaches itself to that), they did a bit of their own thing. Corellian Jedi married and had kids (as seen in Nejaa Halcyon and Valin Halcyon- who became Hal Horn, Corran Horn's father).

They still followed most of the dictates of the Coruscant Jedi and got involved in the troubles of the galaxy (Nejaa Halcyon and two other Jedi- forget who- were fighting in the Clone Wars when Nejaa sacrificed his life to save his friends). It wasn't as if the Corellian Jedi rebelled against everything. It's kind of like how American Catholicism is different than Catholicism in the rest of the world (I've heard comments to this affect, but I might be wrong). Or if I'm completely wrong, how British English and American English is different. They use a lot of the same words, but you can tell if someone was raised in Britain or in America (unless they're trying really really hard).

Does this make any sense?

LJS @};-

8. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    Well the bunny would be a Before the Saga timeline... Don't know if that would make any difference.

9. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    From what I know of Corellian Jedi, they stayed mostly in the Corellian system. They were involved with, uh, the people of the galaxy more than those from Coruscant, and what I mean be that is that, at least Corran's grandfather went with CorSec agents and helped them track down crimmals often. They loved and married and had families.

I think those from Coruscant pretty much ignored the actions and activies of the Corellian Jedi or the Corellian Jedi didn't tell the High Council on Coruscant and since they rarely left Corellia or its surrounding planet weddings and love lives weren't, common knowledge to those on the High Council.

Hope that helps.

10. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    If it was Before the Saga, it would definitely make a difference (but not much from what I told you). If you want some examples of how Corellian Jedi are different, try reading I, Jedi, or the books of the X-wing: Rogue Squadron series. While it focuses on Corran Horn (who is a post-ROTJ character), you do learn a bit about his family, especially in I, Jedi, since he's learning about what it means to be a Halcyon Jedi.

I really don't know much else about them, but I hope that this helps.

LJS @};-

11. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The source on Corellian Jedi is I, Jedi since it deals with a Corellian Jedi (Corran Horn) learning of his heritage. As said before, they tended to Corellian sector since it had problems with sumglers and priates and had families. Also, when a Corellian Jedi achieved the rank of master, a Jedi credit or Jedcred was minted and given to favored students and close friends.
    --Wynssa

12. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Corellian Jedi weren't that out there. They just tended to just be separate. They were still trained on Coruscant, they were still held by most of the same rules. They just got married and weren't stationed on Coruscant, since Correlia was such a hotspot for trouble they stayed around that sector. I see it like this, the Jedi in general are like the US Army, they're duty is to protect the galaxy/country in general, the Corellian Jedi are like the National Guard, they protect their own system/state. And when needed will get involved in the larger disputes.

13. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Hmm I actually played with this idea sort of, in a short story I wrote about Hal Horn when he was Valin Halcyon. (I'm a Horn obsessor ;)) Basically I kind of theorized that they had split up at one time, (but that's just me) and now rthe Corellians came to Coruscant every so often for tournaments and general meetings. THey married, had kids, trained their kids...

Anyway, I kind of threw a Corellian and Coruscanti Jedi together and they argued quite a bit. And actually followed most of the same ways of the Force, just the main difference being in their willingness to love. (THat was a main topic of debate for them), and I kind of had the Coruscant Jedi realize, to her kind of shock, that there wasn't really anything different or dark about them...

I'll shut up... ;)

It was intersting writing, I'd like to see what you may come up with too. :)

14. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    xD Actually I was imagining something along those lines. A philosophical exchange type thing. Maybe teaming up with some missions or whatnot.

Question... if they were to be trained on Coruscant... and married, then how could their kids be trained on Coruscant? I mean with marriage being an expellable offense and all?

Tis why I always imagined them being split entities.

15. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I think the Jedi Council ignored some things. They had a sort of 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. They let Corellians take other Corellians as apprentices. Ignoring if it was a parent/child relationship. Or anything like that. And you have to remember when Hal Horn was born the galaxy was kinda messed up.

16. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Oh I had them as split entities. Basically they trained on Corellia, served the Corellian system, but communicated with the Jedi on Coruscant, and competed against them. (Had to try to prove their skills, you know. ;))

Hal Horn was born around the same time as Anakin. Or at least *should* have been, considering their sons are the same age. :) (I igmore the 9 years old nonsense. ;))

Strangely I didn't have them mix up on missions...just got caught by bad guys together and were basically stuck together. ;)

17. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    xD Just a thought... Would it be wrong of me to have the thought that Corellian Jedi would be not quite so staid and stoic and Coruscant Jedi?

I mean, a little rowdy? Like, I dunno, drunk Irishmen or something? *grin*

18. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    LOL Of course not! I think they ARE slightly laid back a bit, or at least how I portrayed them. Sort of friendlier, I think, a little funner...Hal Horn was quite the flirt with a snippy mouth ;)

19. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    Han Solo as a Jedi. xD That's the image that just popped into my head. heh. I'm so going to SW hell.

20. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    Solo, jedi lol. That would be weird and funny!

21. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    But seriously.. xD I can imagine Corellian Jedi as going out for a night on the town once in a while. You know, hanging out, having parties, and once in a while getting a little hammered.

*giggle*

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Kind of like the Catholics(Coruscant), and the Protestants(Corellia).

Actually, I think a more direct comparison might be Catholics (Corellia) and Greek Orthodox (Coruscant).

23. Artemesielle

Jun 1, 2005
    Interesting. I'm not that familiar with Greek Orthodox. What makes you say that?

24. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Interesting. I'm not that familiar with Greek Orthodox. What makes you say that?

Essentially, what would become the Catholic and Greek Orthodox traditions split because of disagreements over the nature of Christ, with the Catholics supporting a more fully human Jesus over the more remote conception favoured by the Orthodox, who insisted that, in the Holy Trinity, the Spirit proceeded only from the Father, rather than both the Father and the Son, as it was believed in the West.

I could see a possible parallel regarding the seemingly rather action-oriented Corellian Jedi vs the more inward-looking Coruscant Jedi tradition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.