main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Corn vs. Wheat

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi Merkurian , Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It's hard to build agricultural capacity in an unstable political situation, which describes much of Africa. Zimbabwe, for example, went from being the breadbasket of Africa to a place where people are leaving the country in desperate bids to avoid starvation.

2. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Most of Africa isn't just like Zimbabwe, and it seems much easier to me to be able to give good seeds and such to farmers, than import actual foodstuffs that can easily be stolen or go to waste.

3. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I really like popcorn and homemade bread. You'll be getting no boycotting from my household, thank you very much! :p

I agree. IMO it's the parents (corporations definitely don't go out of their way to provide healthy choices in many cases...but no one forces you to buy their crap either) that are the biggest cause of obesity because of the choices they make at the grocery store. My family has a very tight food budget but we manage to make good choices at the grocery store (and we rarely eat out...and when we do, it isn't going to be wasted on the garbage you get at McDs or other fast food places).

IMO people saying they have no choices need to learn how to properly budget money, what foods are good for a healthy diet, how to properly prepare the food into meals that kids will enjoy, and how to say "no" when kids say they want fried chicken nuggets and twinkies instead of what was prepared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.