main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Corphelion Stars Bespin Cafe -The Han/Leia WR and Archive - October Fanfic Update Up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    My $.02:

Sunshine: I love Moulin Rouge! It's one of my top five favorite movies ever, LOL. Anyway.

I first started writing Han/Leia fanfiction over the summer. I look back on what I've written now and cry at the astrosities I have for, some reason, saved to my hard drive--but you know what? All those astrosities, as they really, truly are, did help me.

It doesn't matter what you write--just write. Vignettes are fun ways to "learn" a character. Try writing first person POV vignettes. Or, what might be fun is if you write a vignette in third person, then write it from Leia's POV, then write it's from Han's. It's the same situation, just seen three different ways. You don't even have to post what you've written anywhere. I can't tell you how many times I wrote a vignette or even a short story that I just kept on my hard drive.

Basically, I'm trying to say that practice really helps, and the people here are always ready and willing to help you in any way. If you'd like, I can beta for you--if you ever do decide to write.

Another way that really helped me learn to write Han and Leia was reading fanfiction. As you read more and more, you get a better grasp on the characters, their thoughts, their actions. I, personally, believe no one (okay, maybe aside from Lucas himself) knows the characters better than the true fans. (We're the ones who can recite Han/Leia's dialogue off the top of our heads; the ones who can tell you what Han/Leia wore in every single movie, and how their hair looked, too; the ones who can tell you what Leia was thinking was Han was frozen, and what the hell Han was thinking when he said "I know!") ... And who writes fanfiction? The fans, of course! And most people who write Han/Leia fanfiction know the characters and their relationship very well, because, well, they're the fans, lol...

In other news:

Spring break is next week for me (yay!). I have a $25 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble, because my best friend knows that's where I buy all my SW books, heehee. Well, I've decided that, instead of sitting on my butt doing nothing for my week off, I'm going to read some books. I can probably buy four, because I get ten-percent off books at B&N from my special membership card... If I go over $25 I can just pay with money anyway.

Which NON-NJO books do you recommend? Here are the books I've already read:

-Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)
    -Troy Denning's Tatooine Ghost
    -KKR's The New Rebellion
    -David *Cringe* Wolverton's *Cringe* The Courtship of Princess Leia *Cringe*
    -The novelizations of the OT

I was thinking about the JAT, by KJA, since I own the first one of those. But, I read the first few pages of that one, and the last two, since those were the only Han/Leia-y parts. I really want a book that has Han/Leia in it, and it by an author who obviously knows them and their relationship well. I mean, I can read some fanfiction that's better than a book I have to shell out some $7 for...

Sorry for the longness, LOL. I had a lot to say... *Blushes*

2. Elektra

Elektra Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 18, 2001
    The only book I can remember as even featuring Han and Leia together was Children of the Jedi.

Why can I remember books that I haven't touched in years and am trying desperately to forget?????? :_|

EDIT: [plug]Just posted my fic challenge.[/plug] :)

3. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001

He's a twinkie!

Lol, I never thought of it that way before....

They may not be able -- or even want -- to speak such feelings aloud. But when it happens, when they give in to their feelings and allow themselves to love, it's very, very Big.

Exactly! Han doesn't love half way, it takes him awhile, but once he cares about someone, its forever. As you said, his eyes say so much, one day (I had a really really bad cold, so watched waaaay to many movies) I sat down and watched ESB (for the 10,000 time :p) and I couldn't help but be amazed by how much expression Harrison Ford put into his eyes for this part, it says so much more.

Even when he and Leia are fighting on Hoth about him staying or not, you know exactly what he's really thinking, its almost like whats being actualy said practically inconsequential.

And of course the "I know" line. I'll never cease to be thankful that Harrison likes to change script lines, could you imagine if he had simply just said "I love you to." or something like that? The scene would have had far less power.

Even though Courtship of Princess Leia is a truely shudder worthy book, there was one line in there which struck me as very true, I can't remember the exact words, but it was something about how Leia realized how much Han loved her, how the intensity of it almost frightend her.

I'm reading Empire Building now, and the original script had a lot more scenes between Han and Leia. Kershner and Harrison would often negotiate on the scenes, and Harrison would improvise and add suggestions to the Han/Leia scenes. Unfortunately, Lucas thought the mush slowed things down and left most of the scenes on the cutting room floor I really hope that one day we'll be able to see them on DVD

No kidding! I would die for some more Han and Leia footage, but it might not have survived all this time, and who knows, old George might go and doctor it like he did the Cantina scene and make Greedo shoot first! (sorry, thats kinda a pet peeve of mine, I can't believe he did that, I was so ticked.)

Yea, Harrison and Carrie definitly had on screen chemistry, thats for sure. :D

Me too

Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

Puggy:
    hehe, reccomending books, I love doing this! :D
    Anyway, definitly read the Han Solo trilogy: The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn.

Very insightful to Han Solo's character, even if Leia isen't in them (its pre-ANH) I loved these books, they go right up to when Han Solo meets Obi Wan and Luke Skywalker, much more of a character type books then most star wars.

Well, if you like Timothy Zahn (which I definitly do!) you should read his second duology, The Hand of Thrawn: Specture of the Past and Vison of the Future.

As always, Zahn's star wars books are well worth reading.

KJA books are good to, even if their not crammed full of Han and Leia. I've always liked them, especially the jedi academy trilogy, partly because thats were Kyp Durron is first introduced, and I love Kyp. :D

Hope that helped. :)

4. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    I, personally, believe no one (okay, maybe aside from Lucas himself) knows the characters better than the true fans.

I totally agree with this. I guess that's why I prefer, in so many ways, fanfic over profic, because fans are doing it out of love, not money. Also for some reason H/L fans in profic writers don't seem to be in abundance, usually profic writers are fans of L/M or another EU coupling.

Which NON-NJO books do you recommend?

Recommendations?

Children of the Jedi is very good for Han/Leia romance - they're actually together for most of it, which is extremely rare in Bantam.

Planet of Twilight has Han and Leia separated, but it's a really good Leia book, and there are some sweet thoughts of Han and Leia about each other as they're separated.

Hambly's writing style is hard to get into though. I loved it, but a lot of people find it too flowery.

Also, any die hard Han Solo fan has to read the Daley trilogy books. I think they get Han and Chewie bang on.

I personally hate the other HST, so I'll refrain from commenting on it ;)

Also another really good Leia book is Shadows of the Empire. It doesn't have Han in it, but I think it's about the closest to Leia in the movies we see of her in the books - sharp, fiesty, and tough-talking. Perry said Leia was his favourite character, and I think you can tell in his book.

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Everyone is so nice here!

I'm such a wuss. I mean, I've been tentatively posting, since you all seem so close-knit and all, and I felt like a total outsider- and every time I post, you all are so friendly, I walk away thinking, and I was afraid why?

Okay, that was just to let you know. :)

Han as a twinkie... While soft and cream-filled (got to love 'im), (at the risk of sounding dorky,) I see him and Leia both as Jawbreakers. Those things have a million different layers and colors and really cool.

I read that essay, Tara, and I've realized that every guy I've ever loved (fictional, every last one of them, because I am a loser and only fifteen, which, IMO, is no excuse... not that I'm bitter or anything...) were all alpha males. I loved it, too, but I love everything on your site, so that's not surprising.

Oh, those eyes. *melts* Harrison's eyes are always absolutely hypnotizing, but at that very moment- it slays me. So much that I even jettisoned my normal 'what-is-the-matter-with-you?-you'd-best-say-'i-love-you'-back-or-else' diatribe in favor of, 'Oh, my God, that is so sweet!' Everyone watching with me was shocked- and I was quick to explain that you could see the love- it just emanated off of him.

*sighs* That part was so bittersweet.

Don't you worry, Puggy, I'm soaking up their essence right and left- I'm a Han and Leia addict and have survived solely on Star Wars since I started back on New Year's Eve- I've even read the books. I've sucked my library dry of all their novels and now am ordering them from the library system of my area. Not to mention that I ordered 'Tatooine Ghost' and checked my mailbox every day for a week before it arrived. (The best use of $22.50 ever)

I think you're all right, though, about the free-writing the vignettes. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support and the general warm-and-fuzzy feeling of the board!

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I'm so glad you're enjoying the ambience of the boards, Sunshine! Really, that was the purpose of the thread; to let Han and Leia fans get together..."where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came"...to paraphrase a great jingle.

7. imnotacommittee

imnotacommittee Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2003
    I'm with you, Sunshine; I was pretty nervous about "invading" a group as close as this, but everyone reads nicely. Since this is my first post in here, I'm sure the trend will keep going.
    Everyone is so knowledgable about these two. I thought I knew *my* stuff with page-pointing all the books with choice Han/Leia moments. I had to restrain with TG; I have to order more page points!! I'm looking forward to discussing our favorite couple with people like myself. Good discussions, finally!!!
    Anyway, I have a fanfic question, if no one minds: I saw two of Kate's illustrations for a story called "Nevermore" by D. Durkee. I've searched for the story, but I must be looking in the wrong places. Can someone please point me in the direction as to where I could read it? Or where I could order a fanzine in which it might be written?
    Thank you, and I'm looking forward to sharing and drooling!

8. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    "Nevermore" by D.Durkee was published in the zine 'Delusions of Grandeur 2' (2001 edition).
    As far as I know it is not available online.

What's happening with Tara's site, does anyone know? It's down and I heard that she'd been banned from tfn. :eek:

9. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Unfortunately, Leela, it's true that Tara is off the boards. I don't know what happened to her website.

10. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
  11. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Unfortunately, yes, Tara has been permbanned. It's quite a shame. All she's ever done has been a great promoter of H/L.

12. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
  13. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    I just read that link to the boards discussing Tara's exile- that's beyond outrageous. It's patently absurd.

But, since I am a newbie, I am a little lost- can someone explain to me what being permbanned means?

14. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Permbanned means exactly what it says: Tara can never come back and post again.

:(

15. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    That's truly sick and disgusting... I'm at a loss for words... I have no respect for Ms. Crispin as of right now.

~Aanix

16. imnotacommittee

imnotacommittee Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2003
    Is there any way of knowing any more of the issue?
    Also, which site is Tara's? Han Solo and the Princess? I only ask, because I went there earlier, and everything seemed normal, so I didn't know if that was the site in question or not.

17. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Whats this about Tara being banned? How in the galaxy did that happen? And I read the link, and that just sounds outrageous, I can't believe Tara would ever do that. Is there anyway we can find out the rest of the story? This just isen't right.

18. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
    Tara has posted a statement here. Personally, I believe her. I think that what has happened is grossly unfair. I hope that the moderaters will look into this very, very carefully, and that Tara will come back some time soon.

19. Kirana_Ti

Kirana_Ti Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Hmmm... so much interesting stuff going on here!
    It definitely needs an up!!!!
    I'm not a SW fanfic writer yet, but I hope to soon rectify that situation.
    This thread is helping me to catch up on all the H/L action that I've missed the last few months! Big thanks!!!!!

20. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Just popping in to let folks know I've updated my fic Dancing in Pescopine Bay

Yes, BTW, any authors of H/L -- ESPECIALLY those of you who are wildly popular but have left their poor readers hanging for weeks...nay months PLEASE let us know when you update!

You know who you are!

21. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    It's such a shame what's been going on with Tara. She's one of the nicest people I've ever had the privilege of speaking to. I e-mailed her, but unfortunately, I haven't received a reply. I honestly hope everything works out for the best for her.

On a, perhaps, lighter note...

I doubt I'm "wildly popular," but I did update my fic, Assassination of the Heart with the next bit. It's not all that exciting, but it's a real "foundation" post that helps begin the beginning of the end, hehe. I hope you all check it out--thanks! :)

22. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Whaddya mean you're not successful, Puggy? You've got a wonderful fic going! I'm sorry--of course, everyone who updates their fic can/should mention it here, unless they have a regular schedule. All H/L is good H/L, here!!

23. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    Okay, um....so if people posts updates in here, I guess it's all right to post about 'set backs'?

Okay, I'm pretty much criminal in my updating practices, and it's possible only oldtimers remember my WIP fic, but here it goes anyway....*sigh* I mentioned this in my thread, but I'll mention it here: I lost my fic. Well, rather, my evil half-dead computer ate it, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it back. And being the notorious slacker that I am, I never had a back up disc. Stupid, I know. But it's gone. :(

Anyway, if I have to hand pluck each post from the JC, I'll do it. But it's a setback. Not to mention, I still need a computer to update it on. So it may be awhile, and I apologize to whoever's still hanging around for the end. But I just wanted to let y'all know.

And if anyone wants to use an old laptop as a skeet shooting target, you're welcome to mine. :mad:

Stoned Rose

24. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Awww, StonedRose! I'm so sorry about what happened to your fic... That's such a shame; "While You Were Gone" is really an excellent story!

*Fires away at StonedRose's old laptop*

25. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    I don't know if I'm wildly popular, but I did update "The Sacred Silence" last night. :)
    Its my biggest story and is about 9 or 10 post from completion, which should take till the end of the month since I update almost everyother day. Then I can finished my poor nelgected "Love is Stronger" H/L story, and concentrate on "Realities Curse" (another H/L I have going.) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.