main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit CORRAN IS PRATT!? Mike Stackpole interview: EU Luke is "whiny", Isard's fate, & more

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 17, 2015.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Theforce.net is hosting my Mike Stackpole. Read on for his Star Wars sequel trilogy hopes, that controversial moment in I, Jedi where Corran Horn lays the smackdown on Luke, and whether or not he thinks Isard actually died in the final chapters of Isard's Revenge.

Danifae, BigAl6ft6, starfish and 12 others like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Stackpole sounds like a great guy. I hope we can get him back to writing Star Wars somehow.

...and I really can't wrap my head around Pratt as Corran. It's not that Corran is humorless it's just -- wow.

Yes please.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Brilliant.

With that attitude, it makes it very easy to understand and let go.

Thanks for this, IG_2000.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Love the interview. I like how down to earth Stackpole is about everything, whilst simultaneously is so passionate.

And being a fan of Dune, I liked his analogy to MacLachlan having wanted to play the role from having read the book as a boy, which has me feeling the same as Stackpole, and hoping the actors in the ST are passionate about the roles. Which isn't saying they need to have read the novels and want their characters to be as popular as Jaina or Jacen were, but just that I always like when an actor obviously is enjoying their work, and not just doing it for the pay cheque.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Great interview.

I love the "Schrodinger's villain" label for Isard; it just somehow makes sense.

And I laughed at the Krytos Trap/Ebola discussion because I also read the series last summer and had the same reaction.

And yes, I would watch the hell out of an X-Wing TV series, whether on ABC or direct to Netflix.

Zorrixor, Abadacus and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's always impressive to me just how little ego the Bantam-era writers seem to have had about their work. I always sort of thought of Stackpole as the worst in that regard, since his blowup with Del Ray has stuck so long, but here he seems to be just as humble about his work. It's nice to see.

Really interesting explanations for some writing decisions, too, like Loor's development being meant partially as a way to establish reader sympathies when Isard pulled the "you have failed me" card. Or where he was coming from where creating Corran. The part about wanting to avoid treating Corellians as a sci-fi monoculture is particularly interesting - and sort of ironic, since Corran actually furthered the development of Corellian stereotypes by still being a brash hotshot pilot even though he was on the side of the law.

On a more negative note, though, this does also sort of show off just how poor the Bantam era was with cohesiveness. He talks about setting up Luke's development in another case of his frequent collaborations with Zahn, but that collaboration comes at the cost of just dismissing and excluding everything in between as "Luke being whiny".

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I've been hoping for this for so long, and it seems like such an obvious move in the wake of BSG and GoT doing so well. Surely something like this will get started as a counterpart to Rebels or its successor.
    I'm dreaming of Whedon directing (hey, he's burnt out on blockbusters, AoS is soaring along fine, and I think he'd be better on the small screen than an Episode anyways) and these guys playing Janson and Hobbie.
    [​IMG](Ben Browder and Michael Shanks, respectively.)
    I'm not the most tuned-in to social media myself, but we fans should push to get this out there.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ben Browder as Janson? [face_love] Yes, please.

cwustudent and Abadacus like this.
  9. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Good to have some additional confirmation of this :)

mes520 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also goes to show the advantage of not tying yourself down with hard numbers, especially in tie-in lit with a lot of moving pieces.

Gamiel, DoubleSith and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I still wish the Clone Wars had lasted ten years....

12. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I can just see him saying "Yub, yub, Commander," with that John Crichton grin.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I think it's more of being wishy-washy about it. They should've either had a total blackout of the dates (they certainly enforced that on WEG) or had George actually commit to something... but we're talking about the guy who can't commit to something even after he's made it.

cwustudent and Abadacus like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I meant from Stackpole's perspective, using generations and relative age instead of saying "Corran's grandfather was exactly 35 at this point in time" helps make it easier to fudge timelines when continuity doesn't work out. As we should all expect it won't.

The whole thing about LFL giving one timeline and then changing it when the movies were made is a different matter. But I just mean authors hedging bets.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  15. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

They're both just too perfect. Whenever I read Hobbie's lines, I hear Shanks' voice.
    [​IMG]"...it's worse than that."
    Most importantly, the group dynamic and actor chemistry in SG-1 is the closest thing to the Stackpole and Allston books that I've ever seen on screen. (Not to mention Browder's Jansonesque antics on Farscape.)
    Now I'm just trying not to derail this into a fancasting thread by opining about Corran - but I bet anakinfansince1983 can guess who I'd cast as Isard (I'm sure she'd have great fun as a straight-up villain).

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I don't think he would've done it if they hadn't told him the Clone Wars was 'around x amount of years ago'. But I get your point.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just pretend it does. I certainly do.

Sarge, Dante1120 and TrandoJedi like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, there's definitely enough material for it to have.

Ulicus likes this.
  19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    "Plus, the great thing is that I really like writing politics"

I forgot this before the interview and regretted it later, but I would've liked to know how much he was (consciously, that is) drawing on real world politics, especially when it comes to the relationship between political alignments and identity politics (species-based tribalism in the books), because I think he and Allston might've gone farther than anyone in fleshing out that part of the universe. Which also goes some way towards explaining how people would choose their politics in the Galactic Civil War. Presumably, for a lot of people, being an Imperial is simply a matter of supporting Team Human, and being a Rebel is simply a matter of supporting Team (whatever species you are that's getting majorly crapped on). That's very often exactly how it's worked for a lot of people throughout history.

The reason I'd have asked about real world politics is that to me at least, Borsk Fey'lya, and by the NJO his entire faction of supporters, come off like a conservative's critique of "political correctness"/"reverse racism" taken to the max, with humans in the role of white people. Conversely, Isard and Krennel's conversation at the beginning of Isard's Revenge read like a liberal's critique of strategies designed to continue appealing to white racial anxieties in a post-Civil Rights Movement world. Might be reading too much into it because I tend to follow politics a lot, but as apparently he "likes writing politics..."

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This is fun for me, because following a re-read of Truce at Bakura (I first read it when it first came out AGES ago, when I was a kid), I'm about to get into reading the X-Wing stuff for the first time. Reading the comics first, then will head into the novels. It may be old-and-done Legends, but it's all mostly brand spanking new to me. I get to experience this version of this part of the timeline in both Legends AND in the LSG version of Aftermath/Shattered Empire at basically the same time. Two divergent timelines covering the same era, both new to me.

Guys, it's super fun.

21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Awesome, hope you enjoy the x-wing books, I first read them when I was a kid, seems like a very long time ago now. Still among my favorite Star Wars stories, certainly got me into the EU. Likewise I'm excited about Aftermath and Shattered Empire and that time period in general.

Anyways, nice interview, thanks for posting IG 2000.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    While I am emotionally destroyed that none of my own questions were asked, I really have issue with this

You get to Tim's Hand of Thrawn books, Luke thinks, "You know, Corran wasn't wrong. We've really got to lock this in." And Luke does.

Is Mike really saying it takes Luke 8 years to go gee maybe Corran was right !!!!!!!!!!

And what was Corran right about anyway, his actions in IJedi seemed to so stupid that it was more about Stackers showing how cool Corran was, more than anything else. Summed up by that ridiculous fight scene between Luke and Corran.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lack of supervision of apprentices, leading to multiple Falls, springs to mind.

This is brought up in the Dark Tide duology: "In the end, it isn't even Kyp's fault. Mostly it's mine. You explained as much to me, remember?"

24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The German audio play of The Last Command has a few Janson lines in it, and they got the voice actor who regularly dubs Will Smith. Mind blown.