main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Corran's Creations***Updated, fanfic scene: Gladus Tite vs. Yuuzhan Vong***7/22

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corran_Fett, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Beautiful, Corran! I think the only suggestion I might have for the hair would be to add some lighter streaks (think shiny) to give it a bit more "volume" or "space"--the overall monochrome tends to make it seem flat, and some highlighting would go a long way to giving it more life. Other than that, I think it looks wonderful! Great job (and isn't Tom Hodges a superb artist? :D )!

FF

2. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
  3. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    :( No comments... what a pity... :(

:p

Anyway, here goes my new work, a cover for my Mando fanfic "Rage of the Shadow Warriors: Runner":

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9958/runnercover8op.jpg

It actually doesn't look much SW-ish, right... mainly 'cause you see Jason Momoa ('Ronon Dex' in Stargate Atlantis) without any Vong or SW-typical stuff... (apart from the gauntlets^^).

I'm not too content with it, and it's probably one of my worst photomanips ever, but I think, for a viggie, it should suffice. :) :p

My source image for Mr. Momoa was this screencap from SGA: http://gateworld.net/atlantis/s3/graphics/303_10.jpg

4. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Corran--nice cover!! Man, it really looks ominous, with the fire-colored sky and the battlefield littered with what appears to be armament and...bodies... **shudders** That's what war is about, though... The manip of the figure looks pretty good--the lighting, the pose--I'm assuming he's got on a full suit of armor here, with the shoulder guards sort of obscuring our view here of the rest of his body? He also looks as though he's just escaped a dreadful scrape, so good job with that, too. Very nice!

And on the "hair thing" with the Tom Hodges coloring: take a look on this page, about a third of the way down, for my very-brief tutorial on hair--it highlights in a more specific way what I was referring to when discussing the "shine" on hair. The example is done in pencil, but the technique could easily be applied to any sort of digital painting/coloring. Showing the highlights on the hair, as it lays against the head, is one way to bring more depth to a face/head--just as shading and highlights on armor or body forms give the rest of the figure volume. Anyway--just wanted to pass that along, and I hope it helps a bit!

FF

5. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thanks, FF! And yes, that's just what war is about... especially the Yuuzhan Vong war.

Excatly. ;) Although, I was glad the rest of his body was already obscured in the source image, for it would've been hard to place a Mandalorian armor on it... [face_whistling]

100 percent correct. ;) I was glad to find a fitting source pic, because I've got just this very scene in my fanfic. :D

Looks interesting, thanks! :) Although, I think it doesn't flow with Tom Hodges's style of art... anyway, I think I'll try that some time later, when I'm having a different lineart to color. ;) - I'm actually quite content with his hair in the new version, and I actually see no need to change it.

6. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Another Tom Hodges lineart colored:

Mandalorian Father and Son - by Tom Hodges - colored

This time, the source image has never been colored officially: http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_5997/subcat_19003/FatherSon-small.jpg - he's done another version of that, tho: http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_5997/subcat_19003/FatherSonColor-small.jpg

Tom Hodges never gave the Mandos names... and I colored them quite differently, so, this is actually halfway 'my' piece. I named the Mandos Altair Jiriad (the same one from the fanfic cover, see above, just helluva time later) and his son Skira.

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Awww! What a nice scene! Although there are deadly weapons involved (and probably the intention to teach deadly skills...), it's still rather heart-warming! I really like the coloring, Corran--you might try some variation in the mass of color for the tree leaves (some masses of lights and darks would make it a little "deeper" visually), but the rest of it looks great!

FF

8. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thank you, FF! :) I know, the tree sucks... I had some issues with it, and I don't think I can improve it, so...

Anyway, new piece, a handdrawn sketch, this time:

Mandalorian Swordmaster - sketch

After a few doodles with Mando Helmets (see my Scraps at DA) and poses, I finally got this piece... I did you a few ref pics, and it took pretty long, but I'm quite content with it, overall... (apart from his hands, maybe... [face_whistling] I SUCK at drawing hands [face_blush] ). For more see the desciption at DA

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh that looks excellent, Corran! Well done! I read through some of the DA replies on this, and while I agree with some of them, I also think that some may not apply: the "rigidness" of the pose seems appropriate for this--he's in a battle stance, ready to strike, so his body and limbs would be taut. Loose limbs are good for a relaxed stance, but not for a pose like this (IMHO). The armoring looks great--nicely detailed and well-defined. The lower legs may be a little thick, but I don't believe they're too short--again, my opinion--another thing to consider is that much of the form of this figure is armor, which would obviously change the appearance of the limbs. I like the way he's standing--one foot in front of the other--as though he's ready to step toward his opponent/foe--again, nice tension in the body. This is a wonderful linework--it'd be great to see you apply some shading to this, either with pencil or with color; and your lament about not having the Wacom may be premature: it's a great tool, but won't make developing the skills any quicker--good ol' pencil and paper will do the trick just as well (even if they don't have an "Undo" button! ;) )! It still takes practice--and you've definitely gotten some great results from sticking to that practicing! Very nice work!

FF

10. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thank you! :)

Sounds good enough, yep ;)

Thanks again, and yeah, his legs are really a bit too thick... [face_whistling]

Thanks again, FF! :) As for Wacom: I still intend to do lines by hand, first, but for inking (so that I can colorize it later), I'd prefer a graphic tablet... I can't handle tusche... [face_blush]
    I'll continue practicing, tho, and will try to get enough money for a starter Wacom...

11. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I've got a new sketch here:

Mandalorian Sniper sketch

I started him off with a too broad chest and thus too broad overall, and when I realized that, I made his chest more slim, but now his shoulders and legs look to fat/broad... well, I still gotta work on proportions.

Please some comments, everyone... this downtime really sucks, with only one person commenting my work... :(

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ah--more pencil work! And it looks like you're getting some good feedback over at DA, too, so run with that as well!

Another great sketch here, Corran: you're right about him appearing a bit too broad--but he's not overly so. Maybe this is the guy that really hits the gym a lot! lol! One of the things that you really do well with your figures is the "weight shift" effect: the visual indication of actual or potential weight shifting. In this piece, he's shifting it onto his left leg, as though he's moving (or about to move) forward--it gives the figure energy, and imbues it with a lot of potential movement and a very dynamic "feel." Great work on that--and of course, as always, with the armor detailing. Keep drawing the figures--it's a long process, to get to that final "lightbulb" understanding of proportions (I'm not even close to that myself yet! lol! ;) ), and study and practice are the only ways to get there! Very nice work!

FF

13. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thanks for your comment, FF, I'm glad you like the piece. :)

I've got another new Mando sketch here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37751946/

Also be sure to check out my gallery at DA: I've got four Stargate wallpapers there... :)

Please some comments, everyone..

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Another wonderful sketch, Corran--and I agree that proportionally you're beginning to get the feel for it! The shoulders are just a bit too wide, I agree--and you might try letting them "drop" just a hair--with the shoulder line extending at a near-90 degree angle to the vertical of the neck/head area, it gives him a bit of a "hiked-up" shoulder look. Letting them slope away from the neck a bit more will alleviate that effect. Study some standing figures, if you can find some (and if you can't, I can point you to some wonderful reference sites that have been a lot of help to me), and look at the slope of a shoulder away from the neck--it's usually at somewhat of an angle, rather than straight out from the neck. As always, the armoring and weapon look just great--keep on drawing!

FF

PS: I'll have to swing by and look at the w/ps another time!

15. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thanks, and yes, good point with the neck/shouler thing... I even figured that out myself, as I looked at my own shoulders in comparison... and after I got that, I felt that the new sketch looked pretty weird^^ [face_worried] :p
    And yep, I think I need to do some more anatomy studies... I've already done a handful, but I'm not quite getting it yet... [face_whistling]

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Hey, it is a heck of a lot better than I can do. I always found armor difficult to draw for some reason. I think it is great that you are getting away from the manips and into drawings. I rarely do manips now, but I still use my animation programs, they just make life so much easier. ;)

Great job! Keep up the good work.

AG88

17. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Alright, back to my real expertise after a 'lil trip to traditional art. Now that I've got a Wacom Tablet, you're probably gonna see more colorings and maybe inkings, too, but for now, I'm back to: PHOTOMANIPS! [face_peace] :cool:

There would be a cover for my Mando-fic Rage of the Shadow Warriors: Honor Guard, redone with Photoshop (old version was done with Corel Photo Paint)
    [image=http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3727/honorguardcoverv2cd3.jpg](new)
    http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/2286/honorguardcover2bm0.jpg (old)

Then, there goes my (personally, I really think so) most awesome photomanip, ever:
    [image=http://www.daves-sw-rogues.de/fanfics/gladus_tite_face.jpg]

It's Gladus Tite, a Mandalorian outlaw, my OC in my fanfic Rage of the Shadow Warriors: Pariah. I made this also into a cover (here). This manip was based on a promotional artwork from the game Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. You can see the image for a comparison here. I NEVER would've thought this would turn out that awesome. [face_mischief]

Please some comments and critics, everyone. :)

18. DarthKuk

DarthKuk Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2005
    That very well may be your best manip, ever. Well done, CF, well done.
    Can't wait to see this guy in full gear ;)
    DK

19. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thanks, Kuk'ika! :D

Me neither. [face_mischief] [face_peace]

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wonderful Corran! Great cover art--love the reflections in the Mando visor (are those Yuuzhan Vong warriors...?)--I'd say our protagonist is in for a pretty good fight there! And the photomanip is most excellent: it really looks like your version is a photo, rather than a manipulation of a photo. Very realistic, very subtle and effective! =D= Great work!

FF

21. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thank you, FF! :) And yep, that's scarheads in the visor... I took an artwork from the NJO sourcebook for that. The artwork from the helmet goes to a fan-artist I don't know, but he's done this real awesome fanart of Boba Fett facing IG-88s - I just maniped this great art (if anyone knows the artist, please tell me - I'm not sure where I found this, anyway):
    http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6850/evbobafettcc6.jpg

Thanks again! [face_mischief] Although that's not a photo, but a 3D render of a game character, but nevermind. ;) :p

I need to get Poser... I want to design original characters.... [face_whistling] :p

22. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Sorry for doublepost, but I just made a wallpaper (with two versions) of my Gladus art:

http://www.daves-sw-rogues.de/fanfics/wallpaper_rotsw_gladus_01.jpg - Version with background
    http://www.daves-sw-rogues.de/fanfics/wallpaper_rotsw_gladus_02.jpg - Version without background (black)

Size is 1280x1024 for both

23. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    You are getting really good at Photomanipulation, Corran!! Excellent job. You really need to get poser. That frees you from searching the web all day looking for photos of people in particular poses.

You are using PhotoShop, right? I really need help with that program. :(

Great job!!

AG88

24. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    "Eugenio Vidal" is the IG-88 vs Fett artwork artist name.

25. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Thanks, AG! :) And, I didn't exactly search for this particular pic here, but with others (the real-life manips) I did, indeed. ;)

Thanks. He's done a great job, there! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.