Corruption and Mas Amedda

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth-Seldon, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In The Phantom Menace, Senator Palpatine shows Amidala that Valorum is corrupt by telling her that his advisors, Mas Amedda and Sei Taria are paid by the Federation and are corrupt.

In Attack of the Clones, Chancellor Palpatine still has Mas Amedda on his staff. Not only is the blue alien on his staff but other people listen to him when he proposes radical things like emergency powers. So would Padme notice that her buddy Palps kept the "corrupt" alien on her staff.

I'm not bashing AOTC, because I like it and I like Mas Amedda. I'm just wondering if Pamde noticed that her buddy kept the corrupt alien on his staff.

Seldon
  2. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    You know, that's a really good point. My guess would be that Padme had other things to worry about, and probably didn't even think of it again. Even if she did notice, she must have thought "Hey, he said they were corrupt. Ergo, he's the Supreme Chancellor, so he must know what he's doing."
  3. generallee5 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    i don't know if this is true, but it's possible that Mas Ameeda was elected by the Senate and the Supreme Chancelor really had no legal choice in this case. Ameeda's term might be longer that other terms for other people, and his term simply wasn't up yet. or he was re-elected.
    or, as JMO said, Palpatine could've reelected him and Padme not think anything of it.
    good question seldon. never noticed that before.
  4. JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master

star 5
    Also Palpatine is the Chancellor so maybe he would have some contorl over Mas Amedda and the other corrupt officials.
  5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Hmmm, you make a valid point. I never thought of it that way.
  6. Jainalover Jedi Youngling

star 4
    This is a very thought provoking idea. I was wondering if it was the same guy or not when I watched Clones the other week.
  7. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Mas is a very sneaky and cunning guy in his own right. If Gunray can hang on to the TF Presidency after the Naboo debacle, then Mas Amedda could easily be able to keep himself in a position of power despite some political scandal.

Plus, the tongue thing.
  8. Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    He is the same character in TPM and AOTC for the record. In case you were unsure about it.
  9. Jainalover Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Thanks. I was unsure so I watched the film this morning. It is as you say. :cool:
  10. IkritMan Jedi Knight

star 5
    Moonstruck has a point! Maybe Padme figured that Palpatine wanted to be Chancellor in order to control Mas.

I've never heard of this problem before. This forum seems like it will be a lot of fun! :D
  11. Jedi_Monk Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Keep in mind that Mas Amedda was the one wispering in Valorum's ear something that made him change his mind about helping Amidala. If it wasn't for Mas, Amidala wouldn't have been so enraged as to petition for a vote of no-confidence--if it hadn't been for the vote of no-confidence, Palpatine wouldn't have been elected Chancellor. I think it's fair to say that Mas and Palpatine are in cahoots.
  12. SaberGiiett7 Jedi Master

star 6
    I'm betting that Mas Amedda has a much larger role then we've been lead to believe. Hopefully all the loose ends will be cleared up with the arrival of Episode III. :)

Although his emergency powers proposal should've caught her attention. . .

<[-]> Saber
  13. Jainalover Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Padme was not present to hear that. That is why he tells Palpatine, "if only Senator Amidala was here." :)
  14. Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If you ask me the two most trusted people near Palpatine are Count Dooku and Mas Amedda, they know what is going on.
  15. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Mind you, Dooku can't yell "Orduh! Orrrduh!"
  16. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 7
    There was no Vice Chairman of the Senate until just before TPM according to the EU. Mas Amedda was elected by the Senate to keep Valorum in his place. Meaning to restrict his power and keep an eye on him. So I guess Palpatine just has to put up with him, even though he controls him in reality. Although if you agree with that bit of info from the EU, then you'd also have take in that Palpatine caused Mas Amedda to be granted that position.

Interesting though.
  17. Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thank You, Windy for moving the topic here.
    I'm upping it for further discussion.

Thanks,
    Seldon
  18. Darth_Pogey Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Mas Ammeda isn't like that and Palp was just trying to make more excuses for Amidala to put him in the ultimate seat of Power.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.