main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cortosis Made Lightsaber Hilts?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by I_Am-Vaders_Poo-Doo, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Am-Vaders_Poo-Doo

I_Am-Vaders_Poo-Doo Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    I was thinking is it possible to make a lightsaber hilt made out of cortosis? Would It malfunction?

I think this would have greatly help Jedi/Sith with double-bladed lightsabers. (For example, Darth Maul.)

2. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    I think it would be too heavy maybe?

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Not at all; I forget what species it was, but they wielded cortosis alloy staffs. I don't see why it would be too heavy for a lightsaber hilt.

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    As long as you don't make the emitter blade out of cortosis and there's no cortosis inside touching the electronics, I think a hilt made of cortosis might work. I don't really see why you'd bother though. Cortosis ore is very structurally weak. You would have to be extremely careful not to smash it too hard against anything or it could crack straight through. Even with just a cortosis lining, I don't see the point. Most Jedi and Sith are skilled enough so that they don't get into a situation where their lightsaber blade is about to be cut by another one. And if they do, it's only a little stick. Easy to pull out of the way, I'd think. :)

I_F

5. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    So why dosn't every Sith or Jedi wear Cortosis weave armor. I would only make sense if they are going to be fighting others with lightsabers.

Is the stuff rare, expensive, heavy? What?

I do see that the ore is weak, but if it is laced into or over normal armor would it not be effective?

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I think the reason is because they rarely face other lightsaber users. Two Sith at a time, a handful of Dark Jedi - why bothering wearing all the armor if you only face another lightsaber once every year?

I_F

7. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    [face_thinking] Good point. I wonder if you can have a weave of thin material (I am thinking along the lines of Frodo's mithril armor in LotR), and just wear it under your shirt, just in case.

If you cannot do that I do see your point, why bother with it if you probably won't get much use from it, if any.

8. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    It would cost too much...

and your thinking of the Nikto Morgukai Warriors, who were Jedi Hunters.

Some where I read Vader could have had Cortosis armor, but he choose to trust his own skills rather than armor....Its most likely a Power thing. Weaklings need the armor.

The only other weapon I know of that had Cortosis on it was some of the Lavnaroks, used by the Sith Warriors to kill Jedi.

9. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    Some where I read Vader could have had Cortosis armor, but he choose to trust his own skills rather than armor....Its most likely a Power thing. Weaklings need the armor.

Makes sense, I could see Vader doing that over petty pride issues. Really when I think about it I could pretty much see any Sith doing that, to take such precautions would show a little doubt in ones own abilities.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Cortosis was commonly used during the pre-Bane eras since there were a lot of Sith and Jedi around. Vibroblades were lined with cortosis so they'd stand up against lightsabers. As for armor, it probably was used a lot for that as well but we have no reference to it being used unfortunately.

Weaklings need the armor.

I wouldn't call a person using armor weak, but smarter than the fool without it. Only an idiot would go into battle without some kind of protection on.

11. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    *evades obvious joke*

I think the reason they never made Cortosis lightsaber hilts, is while it was an added advantage, as was already said not that many saber-saber battles took place, more often than not it would just be a componet that would add complication to the making of the weapon, as well as decrease the ability of the lightsaber itself to take a beating.

Armor was laced/made with something similar to it, in I, Jedi. I think weight was the biggest factor in stopping that whole thing.

~Rogue~

12. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    and your thinking of the Nikto Morgukai Warriors, who were Jedi Hunters.

....And the Jin'Ha from the Obi-Wan game, who had cortosis weapons and armor.

Cortosis was commonly used during the pre-Bane eras since there were a lot of Sith and Jedi around. Vibroblades were lined with cortosis so they'd stand up against lightsabers.

Yep, the melee weapons in KOTOR had cortosis weaves.

13. bladex2

bladex2 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, I think it is heavy, but fragile aganst shock/impact. So they just add a little to their weapons/armor. Also Rare and expensive, not that easy to aquire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.