main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Coruscant is the Millenium Falcon of the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    One of the smaller (but not insignificant) criticisms I've seen of the PT is that they lack an iconic ship that serves as a home base for the main characters. Obviously the Millenium Falcon holds a special place in the heart of anyone who grew up with the OT, and I think a lot of people felt the PT lost something with its lack of an analogous element to the Falcon.

Another common criticism is that so many of the major story developments in the PT take place on Coruscant. Personally I've never had a problem with this, but it got me thinking: What if the PT has no "home ship" for the PT protagonists because Coruscant is what's meant to fill that void?

This makes sense in light of the way the stories of the OT and PT are told. The OT is a concentrated, simple story of a few rebels taking on an immense empire. It makes sense that their "home" would be small and intimate in nature, and that it would be a ship, because as rebels they are constantly needing to be on the move.

The PT protagonists, however, have the luxury of being backed by the galaxies two largest (The Jedi and the Republic) in a time where those institutions are in power. They have no need to be on the move outside of specific missions they are given. Not only that, the events that transpire around these characters are larger in nature than those of the OT. The story of the PT is a political tale of the downfall of society, so naturally, the home base for these characters is the capital of that society. The scale and metropolitan nature of Coruscant fits the story and tone of the PT just as the closeness and grit of the Falcon fits the tone of the OT.

You can argue which one is better, but I do believe this was a conscious decision on GL's part. Having parallel ship to the Falcon for the PT characters just would not have fit the story.

2. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Very good assessment

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Nice! :)

I'd say that it's almost a case of the Falcon providing a home base for characters who are essentially fugitives. The main players in the PT are central cogs in the mechanisms of galactic government / rule, so it makes sense for them to be acting out at the centre of the galaxy much of the time.

4. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    This puts it perfectly!=D=

mes520 and WatTamborWoo like this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's better this way, if you ask me.

I'll always be thankful that they didn't try to emulate the original trilogy when making the prequels. If there was one ship like they described, I think it would be too obvious that it's supposed to be the "new" Falcon.

6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Coruscant as the new Falcon?

Han Burgundy, you sir, a freaking genius.

kainee and Han Burgundy like this.
  7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    A clever observation!
    That's why I've also made it ;)

- Good relations with the wookiees, I have.
    - Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive!

/LM

8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Does this mean that Coruscant will be presided over by Lando in the Sequel Trilogy?

kainee and SithStarSlayer like this.
  9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him become Supreme Chancellor, actually.

- I'm the administrator of this facility.
    - Surely you can do better!

/LM

kainee and SithStarSlayer like this.
  10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The Ebon Hawk approves of this thread...

;)

11. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Look, I want you to take it. I mean it. Take it. You'll need all the help you can get. It's the most congested planet in the fleet.

Sarge, TX-20 and DarthBoba like this.
  12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Every other important plot point took place on Coruscant in the PT, so this makes sense (as the Falcon seemed to in the OT). Just not in the way the OP intended. :p