main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Coruscant Isn't a full city planet. Thing...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Emerald Skywalker, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Emerald Skywalker

Emerald Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2016
    [​IMG]
    So I was watching Attack of the clones yesterday and I saw the works on coruscant, the Large industrial area is swept over by the end of AOTC, a few seconds before you can see the city, and alot of country in the distance, so in The phantom menace when they say "the Whole planet is a city" they are wrong. Thoughts?

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Not really from what I can tell that just like the industrial center, still part of "The City" But separated a bit cause nobody wants all that smog out their window. That can't be healthy. Though I wonder where it goes. [face_thinking] in the end of the day its best not to question Star Wars logic .

There are a bunch of factories and stuff there which one might expect to be in any majorly civilized advanced planet, but nobody's going to build their towers there though cause the value would be ****.

3. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    If the entire planet is not a full city then it's safe to say At least 90% of it is

thejeditraitor and AshiusX like this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You're wrong. There's no country. Industrial areas and cities are not mutually exclusive.

5. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I think Corusant also have parks and maybe even wild life reservations. Lucas lied to us!!

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, it's Ric Olie who says that, and I wouldn't trust a word out of that man's mouth, personally.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Why not? He speaks nothing but the truth

"There's the blockade!"
    (as they enter it)

"Power's back!"
    (a second after the meter fills)

"Those are the forward stabilizers."
    (they are, obviously)

"We didn't hit it!"
    (they really didn't)

8. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

He slyly instructs Anakin in flight control and must therefore be an agent of Palpatine.

More seriously, in describing the entire planet as one big city, he is making a composition error:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

Note how, earlier in the film, Nass tells the Jedi the speediest way of reaching the Naboo (humans) is going through the planet core.

The surface of Coruscant might resolve to one big city, but what about its interior domains? Or, for that matter, its atmosphere?

You can't, technically, even say where a planet truly ends, as it is literally in motion the whole time, and there is no one place in space where its atmosphere entirely ceases to exist.

This is a cosmic joke on Lucas' part. Ric Olie issues a non-sensical statement, but Anakin takes it as making sense. Even though he is about to go up against the Jedi and should have a better grasp of the limits of classification, and the dangers of hasty generalizations.

Plus, in TESB, there is Yoda's classic rebuke to Luke: "Judge me by my size, do you?"

Olie has a lot to answer for in bequeathing Anakin with a simplistic way of assaying and navigating through the world.

In Lucas' words, we all teach, every day of our lives; and most of it is unconscious.

Ezon Pin and Seagoat like this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    That.... makes much more sense than it should. ~~Envy~~

Lulu Mars, Ezon Pin and Cryogenic like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Cryogenic and Seagoat like this.
  11. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Thank you. Believe me, I have more. :p

But really, I like what Lucas did with Olie. Very sneaky on a number of levels.

He always wants you to pay attention to small details. His multiple edits to the Han-Greedo scene are drawing attention to that idea in a witty, trollish way.

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Gotta be jealous of the Cryo baby[face_peace]

Cryogenic likes this.
  13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

The Illustrated Star Wars Universe describes the abvove location (painting by McQuarrie from 1995) as the central plaza with one unique feature worthy of mention (it was also featured in an episode of TCW):

What you see in the center is the mountain summit of Coruscant biggest mountain (think Mount Everest)!

That should tell us a little about how tall the city superstructure rests on the planet. In one TCW episode (and in the demo footage for that abandoned video game) we did see that incredible shaft (much like the one of Bespin's Cloud City) where Level 1212 (or was it 1313 or both?) apparently suggested a lover level but still above ground level.

The inspiration for Coruscant apparently came from Isaac Assimov's Trantor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trantor

Tonyg, Alienware, Ezon Pin and 2 others like this.
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Coruscant is a city divided up into different sectors - residential, political, business, entertainment, etc. Has many levels, too. The poorest being 1313

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    This is the greatest post. Can this become a PT subforum meme?