main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coruscant Test Shot

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Golden-Y, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I really liked the new clip, very nice and a major improvement over the already awsome first clip. My only gripe is with the camera, the first 3/4 of the camera movement is great but the last 1/4 of the clip, the camera is on the same path as previous and it gets a little boring. Try banking the camera after it goes through the 3 little droid things, that might make the camera movement more solid.

Just my 2 cents, PLEAES KEEP POSTING I LOVE YOU!

2. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    oh yes that would be sweet, okay after the camera flies over the domed building bank the camera to the left and go around that one building that apears on the left where the three droid ships or whatever intersect, ya, go bank and fly around that building, that would be oh so great.

3. OBI-JUAN2002

OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2001
    Golden-Y,

The first clip was impressive, but this second one was just awesome! Do you plan on writing a tutorial on it? I am also working in some coruscant scenes, but I have just started to learn 3D studio Max...

Good Job!

4. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Here are my system specs:
    System Specs
    My system is quite old now (except for the CPU which I upgraded about a year ago).

The latest daytime shot took 45 minutes to render and it had everything in one scene. But for the final version, I do plan on rendering in layers (background, middle, and foreground) so I can have more control when compositing to achieve more realism. The render time will greatly be reduced if I use a render farm, which Tri-Some Gare offers.

The camera movement for that shot needs a lot of work. It's all keyframing, but I plan on making it follow a path for the final.

I will write a tutorial once Jedi Apprentice is complete and released. All I can say now when it comes to making this type of scene is to know how to use your lights ;)

5. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Okay this is coming from a devoted lightwave user. That is GREAT for a 45 minute render. How is it that you rendered that in 45 minutes? Single Pass? What level antialiasing ( forgive my lack of Max knowledge) or whatever max calls it?

6. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh, man.... I dunno what it is but this keeps happening to me. Sometimes even with my own clips. The animation suddenly comes to a halt and the timeline continues scrolling and when it reaches the end, it either shows the last frame or zips through the whole clip at lightspeed... Anyone know how to fix this?

Carl

7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    DarthMoves: While the Lightwave renderer is very good at creating realistic images, it is quite a bit slower than Max's renderer. I've used both Lightwave and Max and I like the way Max renders much better. Lightwave renders using Anti-aliasing passes. To get a good render from Lightwave, you have to render at last a level of 9 passes to get good anti-aliaing. However, 3DS Max uses what is called scanline rendering. This way, the whole image is rendered in ONE pass. Therefore, the anti-aliaing is also done in ONE pass instead of 9, like in Lightwave. This is one true advantage of scanline renderers. If some of you didn't know, RenderMan itself is a scanline renderer because if it's great speed and power.

8. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Mwuuhahahaha! Preach brotha', preach. And soon, we will have an integrated Mental Ray in our beloved MAX!

Carl :D :D :D

MAX R5 is coming!

9. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    That was great! Just like the ILM stuff

perhaps you could have the camera a little smoother though, coz it sort of rebounds off the buildings!

otherwise, it was great!

10. DarthMoves

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks Pixel. I use a Mac, so I can't really get into Max. It seems to be the most popular choice amongst "professional consumers." For Mac, the only choices really are EL, Ligthwave and Maya. Maya costs too much and that learning curve is crazy and EL isn't powerful enough for me, so I "settled" on lightwave. I am getting it though. I am going to set up a network rendering system so my times are cut.

11. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Again I get the white screen of death. WHAT CODEC AM I MISSING?!

12. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    I see On2 is working as well for you as it is for me! I just can't get it to work either. :mad:

13. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    for some reason when i installed QT 6 beta, it screwed up my On2 codec. i had to go back to QT 5.

14. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    If I had been drinking when I saw that first clip, I would've thrown up for sure! :eek:
    Awesome camera movement and it has nice soft look to it ;)
    The second clip is even better..you're definitely on the right track.
    O.K. show-off go and finish you movie so we can all salivate over its dazzling effects already :p

15. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    DarthMoves: I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing Lightwave, cause I wasn't I LOVE LIGHTWAVE. I just don't know how to use it as well as I do Max. And Max renders a bit faster. I don't like all those anti-aliasing passes. But Lightwave DEFINATELY RULES. Have you guys scene Enterprise? They use Lightwave for all their 3D shots.

Carl: Yo, they are intergrating Mental Ray into 3DS Max 5? SWEET! How do you know this? Anyway, if that's true, w00t w00t!

Max 5 is coming!

16. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    Hey Golden-Y, great stuff. I've got a lot of Coruscant buildings I made for Respectable Employ, but I never really was able to light them well. I'd be glad to give them to you. They might be good in the background.

17. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    I like the new one a lot! I can't really fault the lighting or texturing. What I would like to see though, are some really small ships like taxis, just to show how large the area really is. Judging by the size of the windows on some of the buildings, the current ships in the scene look as if they're really quite large.

18. DarthMoves

Mar 2, 2002
    I knew you werent bashing lightwave. I work nights ( bartend) so the long renderering doesn't bother me much. I can map out a scene, go to work and come back early in the morning to check it out then go right back to bed and do it all over again!
    My thing was this: I was under the impression that you couldn;t get renders that good in Max. When I saw the footage I was amazed that it took only 45 minutes. In LW, that would have taken a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.