Coruscant - The first and last scenes in the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by i_dont_know, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_dont_know Jedi Master

star 4
    ROTJ/ROTS:
    The last time Coruscant appears in the prequels is the scene where Anakin metaphorically dies. Vader - "Noooo!" Sidious grins evilly.

The first, and last time Coruscant appears in the OT is during the celebrations at the end of ROTJ. This is just about the biggest polar opposite possible to Anakin's "death" scene at the end of Revenge of The Sith. And notice it is shown directly after Vader's cremation/Vader's suit cremation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TPM/ROTS:
    The first time we see Coruscant in the saga (watching episodes in order 1-6) is the scene with a conversation between Sidious and Maul, about half way through The Phantom Menace. This is the only real dialogue Maul ever has (unless you count "Yes, My Master"). There is a fairly noticeable link to two specific Coruscant moments near the end of ROTS.

TPM:
    Maul: "Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I will find them quickly Master."
    Sidious: "Move against the Jedi first. You will then have no difficulty in taking the Queen to Naboo to sign the treaty."
    Maul: "At last, we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."
    Sidious: "You have been well trained, my young apprentice. They will be no match for you."

ROTS:
    Second last Coruscant scene involving a Jedi in ROTS (and the saga)-
    "Tell captain Cargae (spl?) to prepare my shuttle for immediate take-off. I sense Lord Vader is in danger..."
    Last Coruscant scene in saga involving a Jedi -
    Yoda dropping down into Bail's speeder.
    "Into exhile I must go. Failed, I have."

Therefore:
    First Sith Coruscant scene (TPM): Maul says they will have revenge.
    Last Jedi Coruscant scene (ROTS): Yoda says he has failed. The Sith have finally had their revenge.

Kinda unsettling watching Coruscant scenes now... :)

The comment Sidous makes about his current apprentice at these moments is a total opposite:
    TPM - Sidious to Maul: "They will be no match for you." --- Obi-Wan later kills Maul.
    ROTS - Sidious: "I sense Lord Vader is in danger." --- Obi-Wan defeats Vader.

First Coruscant scene in saga - Sith POV:
    Talk of Sith revealing themselves to the Jedi. Two known Sith remain.
    Last Jedi scene in Coruscant (ROTS):
    Yoda mentions going into exhile from the Sith. Two known Jedi remain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other bad stuff going down on Coruscant :p

- Padme and Sidous both moved from Naboo to Coruscant at some stage. Padme moving to Coruscant is followed by numerous attampts on her life.

- Anakin "sells his soul" on Coruscant, helping kill Mace and the other Jedi to save Padme.

- Anakin "dies" on Coruscant when he learns of Padme's death.

- The Sidious-supporting-Senate is located there, but so is the Jedi Council.
  2. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Okay. So your saying that Coruscant (which by the movies we know to be the center of the Universe, politically at least) acts like a symbolism to the events that happen in the Saga?

3. i_dont_know Jedi Master

star 4
    I wasn't really saying anything, it is very open to interpretation.

A lot of important changes to Anakin's and Padme's lives seems to revolve around what planet they are on at the time. Coruscant seems to reflect the current state of the Republic at different times in the prequels. It has to, of course, being the capital, but there is a lot of unnoticed symbolism there.

I think it is pretty fitting that the first time we see the planet in TPM it is at night, and the planet looks really mysterious. The scene which explains the Sith's basic plan.
    The second time we see the planet it is in the day, with Palpitine meeting Padme, the Jedi, Anakin, and the crew, on the landing pad.
    First time seeing Coruscant: Sidious talks to Maul - at night
    Second time: Palpitine talks to Padme/Qui-Gon - in the day
    Kind of obvious symbolism, this one.

It seems Padme moving there was a mistake, with all the assasination attempts, and Sidious living there. I think this TPM line holds relevance to what I'm going on about:
    "A lot of things will change when we reach the Capital Anakin, but my caring for you will remain."
    In ROTS, their relationship does remain pretty constant on Coruscant, even after Anakin becomes Vader. It's not until Padme leaves Coruscant and follows him to Mustafar that she "discovers the truth". I don't know why this is though.

Anakin moving from Tatooine to Coruscant obviously marks the beggining of his training as a Jedi. But moving away from Tatooine was one of the major causes for his turn.
    So we are kind of introduced to the planet at the same time Anakin begins his training, and the last time we ever see the planet (besides 5 secs at the end of ROTJ) is the scene you can sorta call Anakin "dying".
    Then in ROTJ, Anakin comes back, and we see Coruscant again. But it is like it didn't exist during the time between Anakin's "death" and "return".
  4. i_dont_know Jedi Master

star 4
    I know <bump>ing is wrong, but it feels so right.
    jk

BUMP!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.