main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coruscant???

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jengafett, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    If Coruscant was EU first and George Lucas took the name, is Coruscant exactly how it was described when it first appeared, is the city, the senate? All the same as in the books? Also has anyone read how Timothy Zahn(i think he created it) feels now that his planet is part of star wars history. Can anyone tell me please?

2. Ki-Adi-Matt

Ki-Adi-Matt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2004
    in teh prequel series it seemed like a great relm and somehow, by the end of the Original Trilogy it had soooo much defense and shields that it was like a death star.

3. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Basic history of Coruscant goes like this... well during the trilogy and later EU...

Coruscant is the center of the galaxy, home to the richest and most enfluential people in the galaxy. The Jedi Temple's located there so it can react to any of the Supreme Chancellor's wishes. Then during the Clone Wars I believe it gets more armor and weaponry protecting it.

During the New Order the Emporer makes it into a virtually impenetrable fortress. Golan Space Defense Platforms defend it, and it has its own task force of Star Destroyers to defend it. There are two rotating shield layers that protect it from bombardment. And of course the Lusankya underneath the city incase he needed to escape quickly. The world itself becomes darker. Aliens are put into a zone for them only and can't leave without permits.

After the New Republic captures it they keep many of the defenses, but the world itself begins to return to the pre-Empire times. A bright and shiny capital for the galaxy. The only difference is that they keep the defenses that the Empire made, and add a shell of mines.

After the Yuuzhan Vong invasion it again becomes an armored world. Ready to resist any attack thrown at it, or so the people believe. The Yuuzhan Vong take the city and turn it into Yuuzhan'Tar a model of their lost world. The entire planet is covered in plants and many of the inhabitants turn to canabalism, or are forced to go into hiding towards the very bottom of the world. Places that hadn't been used in millenia.

When the Galactic FEderation of Free Alliances(?) retook it they planned to turn it back into the world it once was. A gleaming paradise for the elite of the galaxy. And for the time being the only inhabitants will be thsoe reforming the planet.

And that's pretty much all I know.

4. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    im pretty sure i read somewhere its the humans home planet though its very vague memory and it could be incorrect

5. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Dude, -RebelScum-, does your sig have Crossing The Line spoilers?! *fangirl spaz* OMG I NEED THAT BOOK NOW.

. . .

*cough*

Isn't Coruscant mentioned in the OT at some point? I didn't think Zahn had just made it up... o_O;

6. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    oops, sorry bout that... I assumed everyone has read it considering its been out awhile...

7. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Isn't Coruscant mentioned in the OT at some point? I didn't think Zahn had just made it up... o_O;

Coruscant wasn't mentioned in the OT, though a scene on the planet was shown in the Special Edition ROTJ. Of course, that was in 1997... The Thrawn Trilogy, which Zahn wrote in 1993, first mentions the city planet. Zahn created the world (most likely with some help from creative teams). Coruscant wasn't even conjured up until those books were written; the original OT never mentioned them at all :)

8. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Really? Wow, I didn't know that, heh. That's pretty cool, when you think about it...

And -RebelScum-, I only just recently read City of Pearl (I had a huge backlog of books I was reading, heh). . .Crossing the Line is sitting in my Amazon basket now, and will be ordered as soon as I get money. o_o;

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm a fan of Coruscant, and make it a point of pride to know everything there is to know about her. I could type up a long essay on the planet, but I'd prefer not to. I will, however, answer any direct questions you might have.

Here's the first one.

Originally, the city-planet that was to be the Imperial capital was known as Alderaan. It was a planet of industrial pollution and corruption. It was later removed, and the name used for Leia Organa's homeworld.

It was going to be used in ESB as well, but was axed early in favor of Cloud City. It was to be called Utapau in ESB, but that named was reused for the EU--and other things.

Finally, it was going to be used in Return of the Jedi as the Emperor's throne world. The production sketches for this movie are the basis for modern Coruscant, especially the famous ones of Monument Plaza and the Imperial Palace. It was known as Had Abbadon then, and the final duel was to take place in the Imperial Palace--which was to look like it does now. His throne room, however, was going to be above a pit of lava. Had Abbadon also had two partial Death Stars being constructed over it. That was cancelled entirely, in favor of the DSII--Had Abbadon was too difficult to realize on screen.

EU used Had Abbadon for a few years, and Zahn made it Coruscant--and a wealth of sources, including the X-wing series and WEG materials featured the Imperial throneworld.

When TPM rolled around, Lucas wished to use Had Abbadon again. However, his continuity team convinced him to go with Coruscant because of the several EU sources that used the name. Lucas did, but he disliked the pronunciation "Core-us-cant" so he changed it to the way we now say it.

And there's your long-winded answer.

Any more questions about the Heart of the Empire?

10. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Core-us-cant

Isn't that how we pronounce it now? In ep I Qui-Gon says 'Core-rus-sant' practicly the same. So in the books Coruscant was an entire planet being one big city?

11. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Isn't that how we pronounce it now? In ep I Qui-Gon says 'Core-rus-sant' practicly the same.

i've always had difficulty with pronunciation, too. At first, I pronounced it like Co-russ-sunt. later, i was told by a friend that it was pronounced as Cor-roo-sunt with an emphasis on the "roo." After trying to think of it that way, i just started to pronounce it the way Qui-Gon said it (though that was a while before TPM even came out)

In essence... i'd like an answer to this too :p

So in the books Coruscant was an entire planet being one big city?

yep. Thats how it was described in the Thrawn Trilogy, and the books that followed

12. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Even before Lucas had anything to say about it, I thought we were all saying "Core-uh/oo-sahnt"... That's certainly how my friends and I were saying it back in '95 and '96.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Isn't that how we pronounce it now?
    Nope. There's a soft 'c' on the first C, and on the 'sc' part. Whereas in the original pronunciation, it was a hard 'c' on both.

14. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I was messing around with my computer's dictionary (yes, I read the dictionary for fun.) and I found out that "To Coruscate" is to glitter and "Coruscant" means glittery and shiny and gemlike in shakespearean english.

15. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    It's pronounced core-us-ant and least when it means something glittery and shiny. And that's hwo I pronounce it.

16. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    You're right vongchild, it means giving off flashes of light

So in the books Coruscant was an entire planet being one big city?

It's city and industry as you can see in AOTC but at the poles there's a sorta ski-resort and there are the Menari mountains which are untouched by the city and are protected by religious fanatics.

there's also the beach resort luke was at in black fleet.

What i don't understand is that leia describes the planet as beautiful yet padme hates going there

17. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I think that's easy enough to explain. While Padme and Leia both grew up on nature-revering planets, Padme still spent a lot of time in nature and loved it, and probably its seclusion. Leia's heart was much more in the government and politics, and probably enjoyed the vibrance of the "city" and all of the people around.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's city and industry as you can see in AOTC but at the poles there's a sorta ski-resort and there are the Menari mountains which are untouched by the city and are protected by religious fanatics.

Wrong.

The Manarai Mountain range is completely and entirely built over, with the sole exception of a single peak jutting out of the middle of Monument Plaza in Imperial City. The religious fanatics prevent people from stealing bits of mineral from the rock as "souvenirs".

19. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    the Reason that Zahn was able to introduce the Capital planet, and it stay more of less true to what you see in the movies is that the early stages of the ROTJ script had Endor being a moon of Coruscant. And the deathstar II being built int he capital system. It's one of the reasons you have palpatine refer to Endor as the Sanctuary Moon in the encounter with Luke. But that all changed with Later versions. When Zahn was researching the archives for The Books, he came across the name and used it.

20. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I always wondered where the concept for Coruscant originated, since Zahn was the first to actually use it. Thanks for the explanation, Jello.

As for the pronunciation, I used to pronounce it "core-us-cant" with the second "c" being hard. I thought I had just been mispronouncing it when the the Prequels came out.

21. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    Is Coruscant the only planet in the galaxy in which the whole planet is one huge city?

22. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    nope; Nar Shaddaa is also one big city, though it isn't really a planet... it's just a moon of Nal Hutta

23. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I know that there are other heavily indutrialized and built up planets, but I don't think are to the extent of Coruscant.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Reaper: The name during ROTJ was Had Abbadon. Zahn created the name Coruscant.

StarWarsIsMyLife: There are several.

Telos
    Kidriff
    Nar Shaddaa (a moon, in quality)
    Byss
    Metellos

The last one on the list, Metellos, is a sister planet to Imperial Center and is only a few parsecs away. They were rivals back before the days of the Republic, but Imperial Center had the greater destiny before her: she happened to lie at the center of many many trade routes--while Metellos was out of the way. They were both completely urbanized, but Imperial Center built upwards whereas Metellos built horizontally. As a result, the ancient and the new mingle and the planet is a filthy industrial mess.

25. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Byss is not a city world; it has the Imperial Freight Complex and Imperial Citadel, but the terrain itself, as described in the Essential Guide to Planets, is made up of Plateaus and Lakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.