main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coruscant???

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jengafett, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was once made up of lakes.

The Dark Empire Sourcebook explains that the planet was formerly a beautiful world, until the Emperor had it entirely built over. The DESB is specific to that era, whereas the EGTPM obviously had some research errors.

2. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    seeing as the Sourcebook and the Essential Guide both are official sources, who's to say which one did the proper research?
    Maybe the Sourcebook was wrong. Maybe the Sourcebook is the one that failed to do research.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, it's clear that you failed to do your research.

The Essential Guides are summaries that are written using the original WEG and/or WOTC sourcebook material. The sourcebooks are also what are used when EU authors research things to use, as well.

Sourcebooks are the basic prerequisite source that most EU comes from. Though everything is equal as a source in terms of legitimacy, when you look at a contradiction, then you have to think about where the correct information comes from and how the other sources get whatever info THEY say.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Everyone seems to forget "Coruscant's" first EU appearance. The Imperial capitol was seen in the Marvel Comics' monthly ongoing series, issue #63, "The Mind Spider" dated September 1982.

Prior to that, however, the urban City-scape environment of the planet was firmly established by Ralph McQuarrie in conceptual artwork for the OT.

This is what was reproduced in West End Games Star Wars Roleplaying Game 1st Edition, when it showed the Imperial capitol once again in 1987.

Both sources predate Zahn's Heir to the Empire by many, many years.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    McQuarrie's art was of Had Abbadon and "Imperial City".

Did either Marvel or WEG call it Coruscant before Zahn did, Genghis?

6. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    when you look at a contradiction, then you have to think about where the correct information comes from and how the other sources get whatever info THEY say.

Okay then, perhaps you could enlighten me... where do the Sourcebooks get their information? Say, the Dark Empire Sourcebook... does it get its information fromt he actual author of DE? Or the creative teams?

I ask this only because I wish to know. I own none of the sourcebooks, nor do I know where i can acquire one (online shopping is out of the question).
    I have gone by the Essential Guides because they are more accessible to me; never have I seen a Sourcebook in Barnes&Noble, nor Borders.

As a sidenote, the Star Wars Encyclopedia states that Byss is an extremely pleasant world of plateaus and canyons seldom bothered by storms or groundquakes, or other violent phenomena. Microscopic life in the many lakes and rivers was nourished by the blue-green sunlight.

I believe thats two sources in my favor, to your one.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The sourcebooks develop the information themselves. Other authors use that information to do their own work.

8. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Nope. The name is most definitely Zahn's.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, cool. Yeah, I know that the concept wasn't his at all. Just the name.

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Not necessarily, Jello. The source of information is mixed.

Kathy Tyers co-wrote with Eric Trautmann the West End Games' Truce at Bakura Sourcebook. Furthermore, SW author Andy Mangels also consulted on it.

Zahn, Veitch and Anderson "helped" with WEG on their respective WEG sourcebooks.

Stackpole actually had gone and written an entirely new piece of Rogue Squad fiction for the unpublished RS Sourcebook. Not surprisingly, he got his start in the RPG-field.

And for the non-EU stuff, WEG was allowed unprecedented access to the "LFL vaults" to create the original handful of books - the SWRPG 1st Ed., the Star Wars Sourcebook, etc.

So, the source is mixed. It's not entirely complete new fiction pulled out of the book author's butt.

11. TheProphetOfSullust

TheProphetOfSullust Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    Another planet that's completely covered with a city (I think) is Tarkin's homeworld (nicknamed "the Coruscant of the Outer Rim). It was mentioned in Cloak of Deception, but I can't recall the name. Starts with an E. Anyone remember?

12. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Eriadu: this planet, located in the Seswenna Sector of the Outer Rim, was the seat of Grand Moff Tarkin's early power. Located near the intersection of the Rimma Trade Route and the Hydian Way, Eriadu was where Tarkin developed the Tarkin Doctrine. The planet is known for its beautiful silver and blue shell jewelry. During the last decades of the Old Republic, the Eriadu Manufacturing shipyards brought financial prosperity to the planet, under Tarkin's political direction. However, the industrialization which occurred caused massive amounts of pollution to be dumped into the environment.

Sorry. I like putting my source to the test.

13. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I could of sworn that Coruscant is mentionedin the OT. I know they added it in for the special editions, but I thought Tarkin mentions it in ANH. Guess not.

14. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    No. Originally, Coruscant wasn't thought of until they were making ROTJ, i think. And even then, it had some strange name that for the life of me i can't remember.

Had Abbadon, i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.