main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coruscant's Bottom...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord2, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    I've to ask, because i don't know.
    How does coruscant's buttom look like. When you see coruscant you only see big towers and buildings. What if you fall down, at the end you must come to a end. How does it look like?

Rebel: Fixed title.

2. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    Is there any part of Coruscant that isn't urban?

Nvm, I look'd it up. According to TFN:
    The actual surface of the planet is thoroughly buried. Those parts of the planet not covered by urban terrain include only small artificial lakes and the polar ice caps. The only place where the soil or rock of the planet sees daylight is Monument Plaza at the pinacle of the Manarai mountain range. The planet is not inert; the site of Imperial City was a volcanic plain and at least one massive eruption is recorded in legendary pre-Republic history. However Coruscant is a tame world today, and its inhabitants probably employ geological engineering technologies to ameliorate natural tectonic and volcanic processes.

3. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    We see a bit of the bottom in AOTC don't we? The street with the bar where Zam is hiding.

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think that's the real surface though, I believe it's simply a platform. I believe the actual surface of Coruscant is seen in the Last of the Jedi series.

5. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    Wow, I guess we don't see the bottom of Coruscant in the movies, that is pretty crazy. Maybe we see it in the clone wars shorts?

6. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    We never actually see it. They talk about it, "The Works", a lot in Labyrinth of Evil though. It goes very, very deep down and it seems all sorts of underworldly things go on. Palpatine's secret lair is down there. As I recall it's a lot of abandoned buildings that have been built on top of.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    If you think about it, the bottom has to be nothing but tons of trash, crap and other litter. :p

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Courscant's "Surface" level, in the "Present", is basically the long planes of building blocks. It just goes down and down and down.

For more info, check here [face_mischief]

9. JAWA64

JAWA64 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't think the works is the bottom. We do see it near the end of AOTC and it doesn't look that far down. From what I've heard the bottom of Coruscant is just like the last post said, filled withe garbage and stuff. the life down there is evolved so much that people can't tell what species it is, there is very little light, bottom line very creepy and you don't want to go there.

10. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    JAWA64
    . . . just like the last post said, filled withe garbage and stuff. the life down there is evolved so much that people can't tell what species it is, there is very little light, bottom line very creepy and you don't want to go there.

Not to get all political and stuff, but I heard Coruscant is a comment on Liberal capitalism, so your post makes sense according to that.

11. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    There are some pictures of places very deep down, such as these:

[image=http://starwars.wikia.com/images/a/af/CoruscantVos.jpg]

[image=http://starwars.wikia.com/images/6/69/Coru-Undercity.jpg]

12. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    What an incredible smell you've discovered!

13. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Here is a clearer version of a level very deep down:

[image=http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9415/cb1lv4.jpg]

[image=http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1353/cb2kk8.jpg]

14. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "Those parts of the planet not covered by urban terrain include only small artificial lakes and the polar ice caps."

Ric Olie lied!!!

15. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm sure the members of the Archigram movement in the 60's would've loved Coruscant. :p
    And the geologic point is a good one: controlling a planet's processes must take an intense amount of energy and resources. Maybe part of the cityscape is flexible as well, so it can adjust to the shifting of continental plates. But just imagine the massive loads involved: what are the foundations like? I kind of like the absurd magnitude of Coruscant's city. :p

16. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    From the Q&A section of StarWars.com:

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes. What we see in AOTC was not the bottom. It is a bottom level, but not the lower levels that lead to the original surface. There's still hundreds of feet to go.

18. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    From what I understand by reading the "Inside the worlds of Star Wars Episode I" the surface has longe since been abandoned, and is now home to mutants and scavengers. I imagine it to be kind of a sci-fi urban version of Mad Max down there.

The book even says that the natural features of Corruscant have been dwarfed by the ever upwards-expanding building. Even the original mountains of the planet are somewhere down there.

I just love that planet. [face_laugh]

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Indeed. Anakin and the bounty hunter pretty much are in free fall after the speeder starts to malfunction. Even down where they were, there was a clear path to daylight. The BOTTOM BOTTOM levels of Coruscant supposedly havn't seen the sun in a few centuries or something.

Carnage

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The pics above are nowhere near the surface. The closest image that I can picture being similar is the sewer levels in Futurama, with mutated inhabitants, or that one scene in the Fifth Element where bruce willis drove his taxi to the surface of new york where there is no light and trash everwhere.

21. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    It really does depend on what you mean by the "bottom", Coruscant has tons of.....bottoms, but if you mean the very very bottom, then there's really nothing there, it's all occupied.

The lowest plane that looks like ground is the general surface level, so that is a "bottom" of sorts, beyond that it just get's more cramped for the most part, though there are a few chasm here and there.

22. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    [face_laugh] Ok Yogi Berra.

23. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I like the idea of the true surface not having seen the light of day in centuries and all sorts of hideous aliens and growths have sort of invested the scummy bottom, sort of like that spider-pit scene in King Kong.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was a spider creature in the novel "Shadow Hunter" which Maul, Dasha Argent (sp), Lorn Pavan and I-5YD encounter in the lower levels.

25. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2006
    Coruscant would be like any city that's been around for over a thousand years by being built on top of itself. But what usually happens is the older parts of a city get buried literally underground, so the modern city remains on the surface. Coruscant may have grown too fast for this to work, though they must have restrained construction upward at some point to avoid running out of atmosphere. Or perhaps a planetary surface can only absorb so many structures before they just start piling up on top of the terrain. Since I don't think Earth has ever had any cities last quite as long as Coruscant yet, one can allow for conjecture.
    Though with all the free space below them, I can't believe *noone* ever takes advantage of some of it. I'd bet the Jedi Temple extends down more levels than most structures, and the worst of the slums and shanty-towns are probably in places where their inhabitants never see the sun. Corporate properties might have deep-reaching depths as well, complete with workers working in exploitative conditions(a clear problem in the Star Wars galaxy. Their workers need to spearhead a fierce political movement, a la 19th-century Western factory workers). Palpatine being situated in the Works makes it likely he inherited more nominally "settled" buildingspace than he would in the planet's other districts, and he likely took advantage of it.(All those sunless and otherwise dangerous areas would be just the place for breaking the will of all those Hands and other Dar Side servants he had in the EU, and possibly Vader's as well, immediately after ROTS)
    Also without a surface, it must be impossible to *walk* anywhere for most citizens, which would make people spend so much time in their hovercars that quite a few of them possibly eventually flip their lids and attacked them with blasters(some people must be tempted to do this here on Earth. Some inhabitants of LA perhaps? You can't walk anywhere there, either).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.