main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cost of "Storm" in Australia

Discussion in 'Literature' started by mutley, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    Hi All,
    This is probably the wrong place, but perhaps someone who can make a decision will look at this.

I went to buy this book at 300 and a bit pages and in Australian terms it cost $60 what I do not understand is that a few months ago I bought SbS at 600 pages for $40 dollars.

There is something not quite right about this, needless to say at 60 bucks I will not be buying it-it is the classic rip-off.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Whats with all these Australian SW fans? not that it really matters...

3. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I'm with you mutley :D At $60 :mad: I will not be buying the book either!

chissdude There are so many of us Aussies because we keep hearing about your great theories. :D
    We can't even walk down the street without hearing your name. :p

4. mutley

Nov 13, 1998
    Chiss would you pay $60 bucks for a 300 page book? When in paperback I can get the same book for $20.

Who cares? I do, in fact I care enough to hear your opinion all I ask is that you do the same, after all this is an International Board.

5. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Hey, I know the feeling. I'm an American, but I'm in the Air Force and am stationed in Iceland of all places, and books here are twice the price they would be in the States. I usually order mine through Amazon or something, though, so that is always an option. (Although I doubt they ship to Australia, so...)

Anyway, I feel for you.

6. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Have Random House Australia lost their minds? It's hard enough to sell a book at $40 when a paperback comes out 6 months later for less than have the price, and they want to jack the price by 50%? I passed on Shadow Hunter and Cloak of Deception because they were $10 more expensive than previous books. If The Approaching Storm clocks in $20 more, I'll have some serious concerns about the upcoming NJO titles.

7. mutley

Nov 13, 1998
    GoC, hello-once again, I could afford $60 but I'm quite a bit over 18 and even though the bank balance would survive-common sense says no way.

SW was meant for kids-I do not know any kids who can afford a $60 book-I know even fewer parents who would pay for it.

Still hoping for a resonable answer to the $20 mark-up, if this is going to happen with AOTC I hope the powers that be understand that a $60 hardcover in Australia is more than most kids(within target range) earn in a week. And even more so-why spend the money on a hardcover-when you can watch the film for less.

It's marketing gone mad.

PS: Amazon delivers here as well as Alaska-If Amazon could deliver to the moon-they would be there to LOL. Take Care and keep warm. :)

8. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    i only bought it for $24...........but then again im in the US

9. DarthDatorri

DarthDatorri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    TAS was $60 at Super Nova because it was an imported US version. As it is priced at $26US, we'd be looking at $52AU before the markup for importing.

I'm pretty sure when It's officially released over here (When that will be is anybodies guess!) It would be around the $40-$45 mark.

10. -Rhysology

-Rhysology Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2000
    Why is it that everybody seems suprised when an Australian is on the internet...we do have technology in our country you know! Also, not everybody that uses the internet lives in the USA...believe it or not.

Yeah the prices of books suck at the moment...although I prefer to pay $40 for a hardcorver than $17.50 for a paperback, its better value.

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I just checked with travlang's currency exchange rate program. I think you Aussies are getting the short end of the stick. TAS is what, $26 US over here. So according to the exchange rate, you sould be paying about $50 Australian. But you're paying the equivalent of $31 US. You were way better off with SbS, hell, folks over here wouldn't have minded that price. That is to say, SbS is $26 US and you payed more like $21 US. Yeah, folks did probably get a discount on it, but still, that's a much better price, closer to the pre-Del Rey days. And for this to happen to you folks, that just plain sucks.

I don't care if their is an extra price tacked on if the books have to be shipped to Australian bookstores, it doesn't seem like it should be ten dollars more. And as you folks were actually charged ten dollars less for a much bigger book, it's just disgusting.

12. mutley

Nov 13, 1998
    The interesting point here is I payed $40 Australian for SxS at SuperNova. The same book retails at the same price at any bookstore.

In fact to defend SuperNova they do not, nor have they ever marked the price up on any SW book(and I have bought US versions).

SuperNova imports a very small quantity to meet the demand(to order in bulk would require custom clearance and payment of GST/Duty)until the book is released. It relies on people like me who pay up front and come back and buy other things.

I guess the answer will be solved once the hardback reaches Australia.

PS-Aussies LOVE SW as well and this is the greatest place to display it.

13. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Yet another Aussie..

I payed 38 Aus$ for SbS, which I considered a bloody lot, but for 600+ quality pages i thought it was a bit of 'fair enough'.

But if they are truly trying to sell Storm at the price of 60 Aus$ -that's a shade more then 30 dollars american for those conversionists - I will show my protest in the most silent, insidious form.

Random House Aus have hit the hip pocket nerve, and my wallet is fastened together from now on. Bugger supporting Random House, If they keep the prices that high I rennounce buying SW books. And there will be many more like me Random House, mark me on that! If any of their representatives are reading, take heed, i warn you.

14. DarthDatorri

DarthDatorri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    I agree, $60 is too much to pay for a HC, but $40 isn't bad at all. Paperbacks in Australia cost $18.95, which is almost 3 times the US cost. For a HC, we're paying less than twice the price.
    Also, a HC here is only twice the PB price, but for our American buddies, they're paying almost 4 times the price of their PB's.

POT - The $60 price is for the Imported US version, I'm pretty sure the AU edition will be around the $40 mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.