main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Costa Concordia - the Salvage

Discussion in 'Community' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 15, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So barring weather problems, tomorrow is Salvage Day for the Costa Concordia. They get one day and probably one shot at this due to the structural weakening of the ship. BBC News has some information on the efforts and there are live webcam links here. Barring weather or other problems the effort is due to start at 0400 GMT. Should be interesting..

(Note for the forum mods - I did search for an existing thread on the ship here but nothing came up. If there is one feel free to merge..)

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw a report that this will cost $300 million dollars.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that BBC News has a live feed here.
    I'm also having hit-and-miss success with the site I linked to in the first post for webcams. I imagine it's pretty busy.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The news here this morning was that the operation was late getting started. Are they kidding? It's Italy, getting started this week is almost early.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Apparently they had a bad thunderstorm in the area overnight which led to the delay. That's what I heard on Sky News anyway.

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Watching the stream is about as entertaining as watching paint dry at this point. Supposedly there has been significant progress amde, but hard to see it on the video feed. they need to add a graphic overlay showing the initial position.

A series of photos from an Italian paper (La Stampa) show the actual progress
    [​IMG]

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Seems like a better idea than the non-stop stream would be taking pictures from the same position evry 15-30 minutes so that you can really see the progress. It has been quite significant if you focus on the "dirty" facade on the front view.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, that's what I've been watching. I found the Concordia camera feed Sky News is using on my 'free to air' satellite box so I have that on one TV channel and I'm using the Sky box to watch normal stuff. Now and then I switch over to check the progress. There's a news conference going on now - at one point they said the current phase might go 4-6 hours longer. They've also said they can work in darkness but there's a concern about choppier water later this evening and that would cause a delay.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News update - COSTA CONCORDIA - Lifting of wrecked cruise ship will not be completed until at earliest dawn on Tuesday. I don't have a story link as it is breaking news. I lost my live feed around 6pm - I guess that's all the satellite time they had booked. Sky is into recaps on the feed channel. I'll check in the morning to see what's happening. Note - that's dawn Italian time which is 6 hours ahead of East Coast time.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hope it's not haunted.

jp-30 likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The news did mention earlier that they haven't found any sign of the bodies supposedly still on board yet.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I assume the bodies were crushed in the wreckage and the remains became fish food. I really doubt they'll find anything.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Updated BBC story, with video that includes a pretty good time-lapse (from 0:40). Amazing how slow it goes even in the time lapse.

Regardless, the ship has been righted.

[​IMG]

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I saw the time-lapse earlier on BBC News. They said it was righted around 4am Italy time. News reports were saying that once the go-ahead is given the first thing will be to reunite people with possessions left aboard the ship, with priority given to items in the ships' safe. (I think if I had possessions on the side that was under water I really wouldn't want them back..)
    One of the news reports showed some of the work crew celebrating in a local bar after they were finished. I think that area will miss the money generated by having the ship/work crews there. Supposedly the ship will stay there til spring and at that time they will try to tow it off for breakup.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I don't know if you noticed, but it's an absurdly large ship.

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Yup. That shot does a great job showing how much was submerged.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Don't worry, she'll hold together!

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Costa Concordia looks just fine. It's only a flesh wound.

22. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Pretty amazing.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The ship's dead sir! She's gone!

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Slap a new coat of paint on her and she'll be ready for Carnival's western Caribbean run.

Point Given likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Costa Concordia left on her final voyage this morning.. BBC News. She's off to Genoa for scrapping. BBC News has a time-lapse of the departure.