main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costume Contest: Lets Get It Right This Time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Boskone_Kenobi, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    ...come to think of it I love George Bush and Canadians [face_love]! That is pretty cool! :cool:

I too have a fairly good sized collection, but that doesn't make me special or anything. I am a fan! I camped out for both Episode 1 and 2!! VaderFan I know what you mean by camping out in line it really was a fun experience. Since you are into collecting do you plan on expanding your collection with more costumes in the future?

Uilmuteiz, you have the best ideas! :)

2. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Lady_Lucas, I don't know if I will do more costumes. This Vader costume is not cheap by any means. Besides, if I did another, I have no idea what costume I would make. I tend to go for the bad guy stuff, hence, the Vader costume. I hope I don't offend you, or upset your husband, but I sure would like to meet you at Celebration 3! You seem like a pretty cool person! May I ask how young you are?

3. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    I am 25 years young. :D
    I don't think you are being offensive at all. I know that we want to meet other Star Wars fans and you won't be hard to miss in your Darth Vader costume! It will be easy to find us because I along with my entourage from Paris, France of family and friends will all be in costume( 7 of us in our immediate family) and some Cincy members will be dressing up also. I already know that I will be Leia/Padme/officer, my husband has a Han/Jango/Storm Trooper, we'll also have in our immediate 7, Anakin(my sister-in-laws b-friend), Admiral Ozzel(father-in-law), Padme-rainbow dress(sister-in-law), the libriarian-episodeII(mother-in-law), and an officer-in black(hubbie's friend who's like a brother).

How about that for a bunch of info! 8-}

4. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Hey VaderFanForever! You don't offend us at all!! The most fun we get out of Celebration is meeting other fans, especially costumed, so we really look forward to meeting you! :)
    LL, you forgot that my Dad is working on his Dooku also!

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Just wanted to add that I like the novice/journeyman/artisan/master categorization ideas.

Also, whomever the judges may be, it would be nice if they took the time to see the costumes up close in order to factor in detail and workmanship. They could also discern the store bought stuff from homemade items better that way too. Just an idea, because last time the three judges sat at a table offstage and never inspected any of the costumes up close before judging them.

6. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    WOW!! I am getting really excited about C3!! I wish it wasn't a year away!! It seems like such a long time! Oh well, it will fly by faster than the Falcon in hyperspace...which didn't happen very often! It sounds like you will have a lot of family at C3. That's great! I have to ask, where is it you and Qui-Gon live? Does Cincy mean Cinncinnati (spelling)? This show is going to be HUGE!!

7. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Yes they live in Cinccinatti.

As for the celebration being this year.. I'd rather have a full year ahaed of me to work on my Jedi Ranger costume than a few months.. and I'd also like my credit card to get expanded to 3000$ just in case I can't make all the money I want. :)

8. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    :D If you are like me, you are going to need $3000 for all the stuff you want!

9. PrincessTinian

PrincessTinian Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Any word as to whether or not there will be a "talent" category? I heard about what happened last time.

10. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    what would you describe as "Talent"? it might be a good Idea to put it with my other suggestions.

11. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    There were a few people that sang last costume contest. I can't remember who or how many as I was stuck behind the stage in the hallway.

So your talent category could include singing and dancing! :D

12. PrincessTinian

PrincessTinian Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Forgive me for not being more specific. I didn't make it to Celebration II, but I heard that there originally was supposed to be a "talent" category, for people who might not be great at costuming, but wanted to show off a certain talent or perform a song or dance. I guess it got cancelled at the last second due to there not being enough entrants, and the ones that did enter were put into the "Pot Luck" group.
    Well, I just hope they try the talent category again next year. It sounds like such great fun! :)

13. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    I think that's where we ended up, pot luck lol :)

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Lady_Lucas, were you the red headed slave Leia? If so, you looked amazing!

15. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Yes, I am the one and only red-headed slave Leia! :D

Thank you for the compliment. What costume were you wearing at CII? :)

16. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Mmmmmmmmm, yummy red-headed Slave Leia wifey!!! :) Yum Yum!!

17. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Now now Ludo, Stop Teasing ^_^

18. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<<<<<Sheesh Boskone_Kenobi, who blew up your Death Star? This section is for people to give suggestions on how to make things BETTER! Not go off on a rant!! There are other forums for that kind of garbage! Besides, you probably don't even know Steve Sansweet, or what kind of guy he is. To me, he is the ULTIMATE Star Wars fan! Just because he has a bigger collection than you, doesn't mean you have to treat him like a piece of crap! No one ever said he was going to be at the costume contest at Celebration 3. Now get off his back, and get on with your life!!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vader, I dont know how you read all that interchange with Krash, but who is on who's back? I merely commented on who I thought a perfect judge would be and gave reasons why Sansweet wouldnt be it after somebody ELSE suggested him. I merely want a costume contest to be judged by costume masterminds, you know, people who can tell the difference between a homemade costume and a store bought Don Post mask. The judges who COULDNT tell the difference at C2 are exactly the ones who blew up my Death Star, them and the lousy organization, as I have already mentioned and as has been corraborated by others here.

I have NEVER treated Sansweet like crap. I merely suggested that a fan who expresses himself via collecting is NOT the ideal judge of a fan who expresses himself via costuming. That is not an insult in any way. Krash just got overblown with hero worship towards the man and took it personal towards me.

For the record, I deserve a rant because the contest at C2 was godawful and we all deserved better.
    For the other record, Sansweet is a distant second in my "ultimate fan" book to Ernie Fossolous (spell?) the creator of the first SW fan film ever, HARDWARE WARS. But arguing over what fan is "ultimate" is hardly productive, nor is taking any of them too seriously. "Ultimate" fandom should be measured by the heart, not by anything material.

Arent we all glad I started this thread.

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    When this forum was started up I figured it was just a matter of time before you started this thread, Boskone. :p

Lady_Lucas, I was only in costume for the day of the contest. I was one of the several ladies in a Padmé picnic dress. Although, it was my first attempt at that costume and I have since made two more and think I finally got it right. I'll be wearing my new and improved version at C3. ;)

I recall seeing you and your group and being very impressed with your costumes. Great jobs all around!

20. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi, I do remember you! I really like your costume! The picnic dress is one of my favorite dresses from Episode II. You did a great job making that! It will be nice to see you again at CIII. :)

21. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    I'm usually just a lurker here, but since I've actually got a screen name now I thought I'd chime in on this subject. From my experience with convention costume contests and masquerades, the categories novice/journeyman/artisan/master mentioned above, being determined by number of awards won at previous judged events at other cons has always seemed to be the best determinate for the judges on skill level and how contestants should be judged against each other.

However, I'll also note that at one con that I've attended and competed at multiple times, they've always had that system. But one year the con staff did a terrible job at (1)determining the system on paper of which the judges graded each contestant (2)counting this supposed voting system (3)getting just plain confused with their own system in the end. When it was all said and done with, some seemingly completely random contestants in each category won, and afterwards the judges went out of their own way to find the "real" winners to apologize and congratulate them.

I guess my point is that it isn't always the judges when things go wrong, but as some of you have pointed out, it isn't always the system. It could go either way no matter how well it's planned.

So my sugestions:
    Backstage judging, for up close inspection.
    Contestant category determined on experience.
    Well informed con staff on how this should be handled (how they should handle contestants and judges).

Sorry for the ramble, I'll go back to lurking now.

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Backstage judging, for up close inspection.
    Yes, I agree. :)

Thanks Lady_Lucas. :) I'll be sure to say hi when I see you there.

23. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Cool! I'll say hi to you also! :)

24. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    feel free to rumble back anytime you want Sci-FiGal, it's good to have some constructive input from all fans in order to make the next costume contest as good as possible.

25. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Uilmuteiz, if you are a judge in the next contest then it will be a good costume contest! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.