main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costume Contest: Lets Get It Right This Time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Boskone_Kenobi, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    And of course Lady_Lucas, I will say hi to you too! I can't wait until I get my Vader chest box, and add the breathing sound effect to it to make my costume the best I can. I am not sure about entering in the costume contest however. I don't want a bunch of ego mainacs judging something they know nothing about! Either way they do it, I hope it is fair and even!!

2. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    VaderFanForever, I am looking forward to meeting you also and seeing your costume! :)

3. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<<<to make negative comments about George W. Bush, and our election process
    OMG...you got bent outta shape over that? I almost forgot about that all together! Half the country made comments (and some very valid) about that election, it was a mess! I thought it was a very witty comment by Mr Daniels. (and it did get a good reaction from the crowd) >>>>>>>

Seeing as how polarized the whole country was (and still is), Daniels could have said "Bush is a ...a...a...stupid stupid MAN!" or something equally banal and still gotten applause. As it was, the breadth of his "wit" was: "You inaugurated the wrong person!"

Now discussions about the 12th Amendment to the Constitution aside (giving the electoral college the final word), if I want to hear politics, we have four 24 hour news channels. This was the absolute most inappropiate time and place for cheap shots.

<<<<So while you accused me of insulting everyone in 501st/Rebel Legion because I think they shouldn't be the majority of the judging panel...you just called EVERY fan (who wasn't in the competition) "uninformed"? I have no problem with having some 501st and RL on the judges panel, but I think having SW celebrities and costuming professionals can give a more "expert" opinion of the authenticity of SW costumes then even the best fan costumer. These people have made a career working on such projects.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know you are a tad new at this whole thing, else you would know that the obvious answer to the above is: "AS HAVE WE ALL."
    I have a website featuring galleries of no fewer than a dozen costumes of various genres, and even that is pale in comparison to others I have seen, including people on this board. We have also spent our lives working in this field on a amatuer to semi-pro level and have been our own most demanding judge of "authenticity."

A celeb like Sansweet may very well indeed be able to recognize a spot-on Vader when he sees one, but that was never my problem. Remember, the judges last time awarded an authentic Darth Maul with an award. The problem was that he was authentic becuase he was wearing a Don Post Mask. "Authentic" is but one of a dozen criteria which need to be addressed, criteria which were flatly ignored by C2s judging team. "Degree of Difficulty" cannot and should not be so frivalously ignored. Don Post is not difficult, and should not be rewarded. But the judging team (2 out of 3 anyway) at C2 had no experience in actually putting something together with their own two hands, so they couldnt tell the difference between store bought and fan made.
    And a mistake was made.

If you want a costume contest to devolve into whoever has the biggest VISA card to buy out the Master Replicas website, go ahead and put non-costumers on the judging panel. People with money are better human beings anyway.

4. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<Right on brother!!!! And no, that wasn't baiting on my part...
    >>>>>>>>>

Of course not! You only come in waving Sansweet around as a God among mortals DARING me to disagree. Suuuuuuuuure you werent looking for a fight. I believe you. We all do. ;)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    but someone had to stand up to all the ego-centric whinning going on in his posts. The 2 things I remember most about the contest was:

1) some really great costumes
    2) alot of really poor losers complaining the moment they walked out the door (not that participating wasn't an acomplishment
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am so glad that yuo have reserved for yourself judgement to call dozens of fans "poor losers" considering you were not part of the event on one hand, and have yet to even respond to the majority of my original complaints on the matter. A number of us discussed the situation immediately after the event and on the boards afterwards and I dont remember seeing you in either place. It is obvious you have only minimal knowledge of the event (else you would have brought up my other points long before now) and dont intend to debate anything other than awarding Sansweet sainthood.
    Leave this discussion to the informed people if you dont mind. I'll personally nominate you to direct traffic if that will make you feel better.

5. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<Also, whomever the judges may be, it would be nice if they took the time to see the costumes up close in order to factor in detail and workmanship. They could also discern the store bought stuff from homemade items better that way too. Just an idea, because last time the three judges sat at a table offstage and never inspected any of the costumes up close before judging them.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am all in favor of that. Clone Emperors Holocron certainly deserved a closer look.

6. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<<And of course Lady_Lucas, I will say hi to you too! I can't wait until I get my Vader chest box, and add the breathing sound effect to it to make my costume the best I can. I am not sure about entering in the costume contest however. I don't want a bunch of ego mainacs judging something they know nothing about! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If some 501st members were on the judge panel, especially those with their own Vader, they would be ideal for knowing exactly how hard it is and how much effort you put in. I know that the Vaders with the chest sounds to nothing less than stop traffic itself when they walk down the hallway. At C2 people would just part the Red Sea for them (come to think of it, I only remember one).

7. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    There was some pre-judging that went on...but not by the judges that were on stage for the actual contest.
    The pre judging was done by experienced costumers...

As I mentioned before...I was in the long, hot, endless hallway...and knowing that certain snafus are bound to happen...I can't and would not blame anyone...I just know that the being in the costume contest this time is something that I would not do.
    I truly did miss mostly all of Sunday....we had to go for the pre-judging...that was a lot of standing around....you got judged and photographed...filled out some paper work...etc...
    ...then they asked that you be a part of the "costume parade"....there was A LOT of standing around for that too....and then the hallway.

As I also mentioned before...my Jedi costume (I was the female Jedi with the long brown hair)...was hand made...and was decent...but was my first attempt at a costume ever...I had NO clue that there even was a RL..I knew about the 501st...but not much...and CII was the first Con I had ever been to....so I was truly clueless....

As far as who was actually chosen for the contest...

it was...
    first come.....
    first served...
    whoever was on the ball and sent an e-mail to be in the contest got a spot
    ...no photos were asked for...
    they had no idea what your costume looked like...maybe there should be more extensive pre-qualification paper work for those who chose to go after a spot in the contest...and judging from all of the standing around and waiting...it was easy to see why they had a pretty small cut off number...

I know at CIII....I will be in the audience...cheering those folks up on the stage...and enjoying the rest of my Sunday of Celebration....

Jedi bow to all of the other participants in the CII Costume Contest...I feel your pain...lol...

8. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    Everyone seems to have come to the logical concensus that a homemade Darth Maul should win over a VISA card Darth Maul,(everyone except Krash that is, but that is another matter)all else being equal. So perhaps now we should discuss what criteria we would like ourselves to be judged by. What would your Dream Criteria be?

Here are my recommendations:

Degree of Difficulty:>>>> (Jedi Robe made with sewing machine is hard, whereas Jedi robe made out of bathrobe is easy.)

Final Effect:>>> (Either it looks like Darth Maul or it doesnt.)

Effort Involved:>>> (Did you shave your head to be Maul,or are you bald anyway? Bald cap, which are not easy to apply by any means?)

Unique Creative:>>>> (No two X wing helmets are supposed to look alike, except most costumes I have seem are mere Skywalker Don Post reprints. A Uniquely designed Helmet pattern should be superior to a Luke clone, etc.)

Now we dont want to have too many criteria, to go easy on the judges, so even 4 many be too many. But want has been used before, and what did you like and not like?

9. DROIDBUILDER68

DROIDBUILDER68 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    As a costumer for the past 12 years entering nightclub Halloween costume contests with homemade costumes, let me say that it was no different at CII than anywhere else. I'm not just blowing off steam here. I've entered one to three contests a year (depending on eve different nightclubs holds it's Halloween contests) and it's BRUTLE!! I've lost out to cheesy lame costumes because judges thought mine HAD to be a rental because it was TOO GOOD. I've suffered heat stroke 3 years standing in limbo in the judging process. But let me say that it's paid off. 12 years, 23 contests, six paid air/hotel trip prizes, over $4.000 cash prises, door prises too numerous to mention. I think I have a scar or two as momentos also. At 35, my body can't take the elaborate, cruel costmes anymore. But when Don Bies asked me to make the Leia costume for ILM Artoo at the end of the CII contest as a joke, I couldn't resist.

...later

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    I have an essay on my website detailing my own costume contest experiences, the usual judge stupidity and nonsuch. But those were in smoke-filled dives where the awards were based on drunken lust. That is what we expect on Halloween, but that is NOT what we should expect at a clean and sober Celebration, judged by alleged experts.

We will get what judges we deserve, and I say lets set some high standards. This isnt just another ordinary contest after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.