COSTUME CONTEST THOUGHTS? wHAT DID YOU THINK?

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration Anaheim' started by MomMaster, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MomMaster Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now that I'm back after vacationing in Florida after CV, I wanted the thoughts of those who like tobe involved in the Costume Contest.

1. To us it was more like a Comicon Show than a SW one. There were so many Zany Costumes and ones created from the far reaches of space. Which is OK but we thought the categories were all wrong!

2. Jay Lagalia (SP) was very off this year! We were told we had to have MC write-ups which we forgot in our hotel room so we ran all the way back because we spent time writing them in the first place.
    We noticed on Thurs night that contestants would just come out and stand there with the MC (Jay) saying nothing AND WE WONDERED WHY THEY DIDN'T HAVE A WRITE UP FOR HIM. . Well, On Sunday we experience why - he refused to read peoples write ups. He chose not to read anything on some. Which threw us off - we were suppose to have 90 seconds to showcase our costume but that was stolen from us!

3. He fumbled with papers and even insulted some. We didn't mind if he added something funny to say but he said nothing unless it was very "Unusual" or Zaney! I think as an MC, he's obligated to give everyone a fair chance - to showcase the contested and let the JUDGES BE THE JUDGES! He insulted a young girl's costume as she was walking off (after not reading anything)And She and her mom worked very hard on it!

4. The Categories were all messed up. In our opinion, there should be a category for traditional movies Costumes, For the video game, for the books (I guess expanded universe) Then the Wild and Crazy Category. Or at least the categories they had at CIV
    There were no 1st, 2nd, 3rd prizes. There was judge's choice. But we had comic book people and other various judges ect. and not those who were familiar with Star Wars characters. For instance, many costumers were insulted that a girl who put on an R2D2 T-shirt and a bowl on her head won a prize!

5. So, it would have been better to call the whole thing "The Costume Show" because it seemed it was all about who did the best acting or crowd arousal! Which makes it very hard for the charaters who are suppose to be serious - Anakin or Queen or Padme to even have a chance.

2. bback Jedi Padawan

I liked that the judges were able to see things that others couldn't. While a completely hand-made costume may not look as cool as one that uses existing pieces, the judges were able to award the hard work that went into those hand-made costumes.
    I do think Jay was a bit off, but he'd been going all weekend long and maybe was just burnt out. It was nice of him to close the convention (for me) by singing the same song he sang to open the convention (for me). I actually didn't understand what on earth the Tenel Ka costume was until I saw pictures online. He kept saying Tennille, as in "Captain and." I totally understand that we geek out about this so much more than he does, so maybe some phoenetic spelling. Based on his own comments, it seemed like his entire job was poorly prepared for the contest, like the sheets were missing/out of order and the descriptions were in languages he couldn't read.
    There could definitely be separate winners for technical skill, creativity, interpretation, and so on. Reward the hard work that everyone put into different aspects of their costume.
    I was upset that Darth Bane won, because it wasn't a new costume for the convention. I'm not saying Thomas needs a new costume for each convention, but I feel like the official Star Wars convention's costume contest should only accept new costumes. He did a fantastic job on it, but I've known about that costume for a long time, and I pay very little attention to the world of Star Wars costuming - meaning that it was so popular, it was able to reach people who weren't actively seeking it out.

That being said, it was amazing to sit there and look at everyone's fantastic work. I've never seen so many amazing costumes at once. Also, young Anakin. Best. Costume. Ever.
  3. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm not sure if we can fault Jay for not reading the blurbs on the costumes. It seemed like a mix-up occurred and he didn't have the right descriptions in front of him for some entrants. He was ad libbing the best he could, I think.
  4. MomMaster Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would go along with that explanation (there were 1 or 2 pages out of sink), except he read the first line on the pages and that was it.
    There was complete silence for most unless he did think of an ad lib to say. And if he couldn't think of anything to say if it was a "clothing" costume for instance, then he should have read the script that the contestants were told to write.

I think each contestant deserved to be showcased in their time slot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.