main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costume Contest

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Periidot, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Periidot

Periidot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    So . . . who won? Anyone have photos from this?

I saw SO MANY great costumes during my time there, I'd love to know how this event turned out.

:)

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Periidot--there's a bunch of pics and info over in the costuming and props forum. :~)

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    There were different catagories, a kid dressed as Darth Maul won the "children" contest (although everyone got an award...good idea). A trio of Han/with Tauntaun, Dash Rendar, and Princess Leia (my favorite) won in the "Heros" contest. A guy as Clone Palpatine (or Count Dracula) won for "Villian." A really great Bantha (one person oprated costume) won "Outer Rim" honors. And a Luke Skywalker Hoth and full size Wampa (with detachable arms) won "Best in Show."

Overall, all the costumes were great. Some went for more theatrics...when did Jaina's hair go purple? And it took guts for alot of them to go on after technical goofs in their presentations.

4. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    Best in Show - Wampa w/ Hoth Luke
    1st Place Hero - Wampa w/ Hoth Luke
    2nd Place Hero - Han w/ Taun-Taun, Leia & Dash
    3rd Place Hero - Chewie

1st Place Villian - Resurrected Palpatine?
    2nd Place Villian - (I forget)
    3rd Place Villian - Boba Fett

1st Place Other - Bantha

All the kids placed in ties, but Darth Maul kid was 1st, Amidala's (4 of them) were 2nd.

Just a note - I was in the contest and as a contestant - it sucked. They pushed us around, yelled at us, stuck us in a dark backstage hallway with no chairs for 4 hours, and didn't let us watch the show (which was promised).

Prizes were just medals, nothing of substance. Overall disappointing to be involved in, but winning costumes were great!

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    mgmcpa, I was in the contest too. Which one were you? I was the second picnic dress in the line-up. :)
    I agree that the lack of chairs was terrible and it got really hot in that hallway. I was disappointed that we didn't get to watch the show too. At least there were waters, sodas, some fruit and some chips back there. All in all, I had a really fun time.

6. Periidot

Periidot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    Thanks for all the info . . . I found the photos in the other forum.

I saw the Bantha, I think. I saw (while in line in Tattooine on Sunday) a Bantha on wheels being pulled around . . . that had to be it . . . very cool.

My photos from the con:
    periidot's sw:c2 photo page

I got some great random costume pics.

:)

7. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I was also in the contest. we had to wait for ever, and I saw nothing else at the con that day because it went so long.
    Also I can't believe the fat guy in a rubber maul mask and black sweat suit beat a lot of awsome costumes. Like the Icthorian and labria Jedi. And me
    I also thought the best child costume was the jango fett. He was movie quality.

8. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Mirax H, the female Darth Maul got 2nd place in the costume contest. :)

I think the whole costume contest would've been organized better. Not only was I disappointed we couldn't watch, but also not all the staff even knew what was going on. I was part of the group of 5 handmaidens and half the group was in 1 place, 1/2 in another. Both groups were told we were in the right place, but that wasn't true. Thankfully we were able to connect (thank the Force for cell phones!), but the whole thing could've been handled a heck of a lot better.

Still, I did have a good time. I saw so many wonderful costumes and I enjoyed chatting with fellow contestants. :)

~*~Bria

9. daisyahchoo

daisyahchoo Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    The Contest did kind of suck. I wanted to see it, but they were mean and stuck us in the hallway backstage, and that was DULL! For all of you who were there, I was the 1st female jedi and my sister was with my in Padmé's packing costume. I'd love to see your guys's pics, mine will be developed soon.

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Would anyone be interested in a formal letter of complaint to the organizers? Spending 2 hours in that hallway was not my idea of a good time. Then they wouldnt let us video tape, so I missed my son winning the kids catagory.

But pics of Plo Koon are available:::

www.hometown.aol.com/strahd27/Plokoon.html

And if anyone DID tape the contest... can we TALK please? I need to beg you for footage.

11. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I remember seeing you, Boskone_Kenobi! :) I also saw that Bug Jedi...

Too bad about your son. :( Which costume did he wear?

~*~Bria

12. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    The baby Jedi's the son of Boskone and me. He got third with the little Chewbacca.

-Val

13. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Ok, I think I recall that child. :) Very cute! :)

The little Chewie was so precious. I think I got like 5 or 6 pictures of him. I didn't intend to at first, but I took him, then he was with this cute little Jango, then will a big tall Chewie, etc... :D

~*~Bria

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    They have posted pics from the contest on the official site now. :)

15. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Thanks for the plug Bria! I didn't know you were in the contest, what did you have on? I am not surprised that it wasn't totally well organized, but this was their first time doing something like this. I have to say, I think we were all so tired after 3 days of convention, it wasn't as exciting as it would have been had it been on Friday. We were all tired and ready to go home by then. My feet were killing me in my platforms! But I got to kiss Anthony Daniels on stage and get him to sign my medal. Wouldn't have missed it for anything!

16. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Bria was one of the RHS dancing HMs. Here's the pic from the official site:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/community/feature/20020503/pictureviewer/img/140.jpg]

Unfortunately, it was taken after Bria had left. She was in the Rabé costume in the "Anakin-can't-count" scene (the one where he tries to go say "goodbye" to Padmé).

Rather than issuing a formal complaint, what if we sent off suggestions? After all, it was the first time they'd done this. Also, we don't want them to think that it's more of a headache than it's worth. Offering suggestions would be far less likely to set folks on the defensive.

17. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yay! I'm not in that pic! I love it! :D

GentleBant put together my costume. I couldn't sew if my life depended on it. :p While being on stage was somewhat of a horror for me (shyness [face_blush]) I really did have fun with my fellow handmaidens and I perhaps I have the motivation I need to attempt to make a costume of my own. :)

~*~Bria

18. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    I thought about sending a complaint in to Anne Brown, but haven't yet. My biggest gripe was our not getting to see the show from the seats that had been promised to us and instead STANDING for 4 hours in a hallway.

I was one of the Queen Amidala Throne Room and my husband was Episode II Obi-Wan and we were very disappointed by our experience. Although we met other cool costumers.

19. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Yes, that was my biggest complaint as well. I wanted to see everyone else on stage :(

20. CreatureCreator

CreatureCreator Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2001
    Agree on missing the show. I really wanted to see some of it. I was also disappointed in the awards. The local bar here gives out better trophies along with money and trips to boot for Halloween. Wizard's could've done something nice for everybody. Everybody whom I tell about the show says 'what'd ya win?' and responds immediately with 'you're kidding' when I show them a photo of me holding the award from my stubby arm. I would've been satisfied with a poster with all the autographs on it which would've cost them zilch. My friends joked around and told me to offer castings of the medals on the RPF if anybody wanted them. Out of deference to Droidboy, I'd never do that but it was kinda funny.

21. Hale_Atticus

Hale_Atticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    My wife and I were also in the contest as Jedi. She was in the grey and black while I was in the traditional colors looking like Ep.II Obi-Wan (or the young Owen Lars, depending on who was asking). We agree that it sucked being holed up back in that service hall for most of the time. The only plus to being back there was getting to meet and talk with many of the other contestants, and all of you were such nice people to talk to. Thanks for a great time!

We've been considering e-mailing Anne Brown on the subject of possibly getting our scoring results that the judges made. It would be interesting to see what they actually thought of all of our costumes.

22. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    That would be nice to see. Let me know if you can get it.

23. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    I couldn't believe how crappy the prizes were as well. I agree, they should have at least given you some Celebration II merchandise like a Jacket or a Poster with the autographs of at least the 3 contest judges.

Overall, very budget production.

24. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    You know, those of you complaining about getting medals in the costume contest should count your blessings. My daughter actually came in first in a different convention's costume contest. Her prize was a gift certificate for convention merchandise. The catch? The convention ended with the costume contest, and all the merchants were closed. A medal is a heck of a lot nicer than a worthless piece of paper.

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    And coming from someone who spent a really long time making my costume as exact to the original as I possibly could, it's a bit painful to hear winners complaining about their medals. I am very proud of my costume and I would have gladly gone home with a medal. [face_plain]

Seriously, though, wasn't it supposed to be about having fun? I might have lost, but I had fun up there. Granted, not having chairs sucked, but we all got to go onstage with Anthony Daniels! That's a prize in and of itself to me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.