main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWC22 Costume/cosplay thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 8, 2018.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Carry on, in a special bag that I can put under the seat in front of me, fortunately I have short legs and don't need much space. That has kept me from bringing my helmet to Celebrations where there is a long flight though. To be honest everytime I've flown and have packed the helmet in my regular luggate or in the overhead compartments it has come home with some damage. I have masked it as battle damage, but I rather avoid it.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Speaking of transporting, has anyone done an international flight with a lightsaber? My initial thoughts were just to take the blades off and put them diagonal in my main case but even then I'm struggling due to the size.

I know in the US you can take them as carry on but I'm not sure I'd be able to do that on my flight from the UK.

I'm thinking I might be better getting a separate long bag for the blades (keep the hilts wrapped up better in my main bag) and just paying for the extra bag.

Edit - should probably add I'm talking about metal hilt & polycarbonate blade not the Hasbro plastic ones

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    A good advice for anything metallic or other things that might looks strange in the X-ray is to pack it on top, and print a photo of your prop saying "this is a Star Wars costume prop" and put it beside it.

Swtorista and ChrisLyne like this.
  4. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Good suggestion, thanks.

5. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    I know this may not be possible for everyone, but depending on the airline and your own personal situation, you might be able to avoid the checked baggage fee. Southwest does not charge for baggage (I think its 2 free before they start charging, which I can understand) and a majority of other airlines have some sort of credit card that include free checked baggage perks. As I said, not for everyone, but some might find it useful. I've included a link for cards that can help.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-cards-with-free-checked-baggage/

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just beware that some of those cards have an annual fee which might cost you more than checking the bags unless you make a lot of trips. Also the article seems to be US-centered. If you're in another country you might want to search for similar offers in your area.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  7. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    It isn't always worth it for sure, even more so if you are worried about credit, etc. Sometimes people have cards that already include that perk, but have no idea, or have a card from the same company with the ability to upgrade to a new card for free. Some cards with annual fees waive it for the first year, and if you can count on yourself to be on top of it, you can cancel or transfer the account to a card without fees before the annual one hits. It may be more hassle than its worth to some people, thats for sure. For others, it might be worth it.

I would always do your own research and see if it would be a good fit before pulling the trigger on ANYTHING of this nature.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Yup, I've flown with an FX lightsaber twice. I've got a poster tube for conferences that can be extended (like a telescope) and it fits my lightsaber. Boarding early is helpful, because then you know there will be space in the overhead compartment for the full poster tube. I labeled the tube saying it's a prop and I made sure to tell the security people about it before it got through the x-ray. They were pretty amused. Obi Anne's idea about printing out a photo sounds even better. The second time I checked it in as special baggage because that was free with my ticket at the time.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like poster tube, labelled as a prop and with photos, is the way to go.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Would have never thought to do this either. I might be bringing my lightsaber now.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  11. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Well after seeing Solo again in theaters, I think I will be cosplaying as Qi’ra in her all black pants and shirt outfit that she wears at the end at Celebration. Seems pretty comfortable and easy to make. Got some of the jewelry and fabric that is 501st approved for the pants ordered already

12. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Lightsabers with batteries that can't be removed must go in carry-on luggage for air travel. However, the TSA people classify it as a flashlight. TSA always swabs my lightsabers for explosive residue, but otherwise I've had no problem taking them through security.

Note the special circumstances for the Chicago Celebration. Many people will have to take shuttle buses to/from their hotels. Wear a costume that can be worn or carried on a bus.

And check the weather as Celebration approaches. In April, Chicago can be anything from snow to summer.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Updated thanks! (and made sure to credit you).

15. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Saw a screenshot from a Facebook message with RP that RP said it was up to the center’s security if non plastic lightsabers will be allowed

However later on someone asked if their lightsabers were allowed and stated they were plastic and all RP said was lightsabers are allowed so who knows if cause she said plastic or overall.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah the FB messages on “real” lightsabers seem to be all over the place.

I’ve seen people on FB saying they’re allowed at C2E2 so it should be ok.

Would be a PR nightmare if they got banned. Can you imagine, a Star Wars Celebration banning lightsabers? [face_laugh]

17. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It would be a disaster, because the word wouldn't get out to everyone and you'd have people commuting in with them. I can't imagine them banning them though. I've never been to a con that didn't allow them.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  18. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    As for poster tubes, make sure you can bring one for artwork and posters! poster tubes go quick and bringing an extra-collapsible one will save you time. that reminds me, I'll have to empty one here at home to bring, I store posters and artwork in them. Oh! has everyone heard about the new TSA snack inspections, have your food ready in bags so you don't have to rummage about for it when you get to TSA!

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They are inspecting snacks now?

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    In a nutshell, yes. They don't specifically target and look at food. However, food often meets the criteria of things they look for in explosives, particularly when its a heavy condensed organic mass, and so it often gets designated for inspection.

It's ridiculous that common sense does not come into play in these instances. It's still a remnant of the knee jerk over the top response to 9/11. I worked for TSA for 3 years and finally left last year. And it was in large part due to the realization that at the end of most days, what I actually accomplished amounted to nothing more than inspecting people's food and taking it away when it also met that criteria. Last year was a year they implemented much more stringent standards on what qualifies for inspection, and it just got ridiculous. I eventually hit a wall and just could no longer continue working there. Haven't looked back since.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  21. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I see what you did there...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Second the poster tube comment! I bought one at CE 2016 and it was invaluable! Same for a poster sleeve for stuff you can’t/don’t want to roll up.

And what the heck is this about inspecting food? Feels like I’ve missed this one!

23. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I will be bring snacks in the hold baggage and have my carry on snacks well prepared for viewing! they may take them because they may look so tasty! Also, I bought a "lightsaber' poster tube several years ago and TSA thought it was cute, but passengers gave it worried looks! Have any of you seen that one?

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I so much regret that I didn't buy the lightsaber poster tube, it think it was at CIV or CV they had it.

25. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I also have that lightsaber postertube. It was from CV.
    I didn't buy it during Celebration because I didn't thought it would fit in my suitcase, but a month or two after coming home I bought it off Ebay. I actually bought two. The other one for some friends who had also been at Celebration. I really hoped they would do a different version for Celebration CVI, but no luck so far.