main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costume Design

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediLeiaSolo, Jun 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLeiaSolo

JediLeiaSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2001
    Hey all! I've been lurking on this board for a little while now, and I wanted to ask something.

I haven't gotten into the actual making of a costume part of Star Wars fandom, but I've been wanting to go into costume design for a long time (over 10 years). Has anyone pursued this career path? Do any of you make clothes or costumes for people for a living? Has anyone gone to school to learn this trade?

I've looked into a school here in Los Angeles that is quite good (they even have an icon for their costume design program that has Queen Amidala's Red Senatorial outfit on it), and I'm just kind of curious what else is out there, and what other experiences people have had.

All the best,
    JediLeiaSolo

2. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Here's my experience--I sew for a living and make all sorts of things-whatever pays the bills. I have worked in community theater to professional theater to costume shopw to fabric stores and I've met all kinds of people. I have some college, but nothing costume related. I did work with a gentleman who has a Master's Degree in costuming and has taught classes. I was a stitcher under him and sewed his designs. He had a 9 month contract which was luckily renewed 3 times so far--however, in the summer he would work underneath me (not literally [face_devil] at a local fabric store where I was his manager. He didn't make enough $ with his professioaonal gig to take summer's off. He was also like a nomad--traveling all around to find work. HE WAS AN AWESOME COSTUMER, TOO! Then I have worked with another lady with a Master's Degree and I seriously doubt she could sew on a button. NO TALENT!! In my experience some of the most gifted seamstresses/costumers are the ones that are born with a natural talent. I don't think that's something that can be taught. I think there are some great programs out there, but I feel you would only benefit by gaining speciality knowledge. You would probably need to have a great understanding of sewing beforehand. I looked into going and my friend told me that they focus on such things as Fabrics, Processes of Distressing, Dyeing, Time Periods and differences in fashions, Millenary, etc. Some community colleges and Adult education centers offer all sorts of classes such as these--you may want to take a couple and see if it's something you're still interested in.
    Anything theater or film related is usually contract work--so you may not get a degree and find a steady job. It all depends on what you want out of it.

3. JediLeiaSolo

JediLeiaSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2001
    Thanks Ferdalump! I agree with you, some people have a great talent, and some people get the textbook aspect of it much better than the hands-on aspect. I really like sewing, and I'm not bad at it, though I've never had a very good machine, so as far as projects I've accomplished, I don't have many. I took a few classes when I was in high school and really liked it.

I do appreciate that it is a very specialized job, and as such any degree should be specialized. Living in Los Angeles, I think there are a lot more opportunities. Question for you: what area do you live in?

Thanks for responding! :)

4. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hi JediLeiaSolo,

I haven't pursused this as a career path, and I haven't made clothing for people. I'd hemmed pants, repaired buttons, repaired stuffed toys, cutrians jeans etc. MY gramma did make my clothing as kid.

Only class I took was a home Ec sewing class in 7th grade. I mainly just look at stuff to see how it's made then try to do it. I look at books w/ various stiches and study them, and pratice on fabric scrapes. Sometimes if I see a real kickin' outfit on someone at the mall, iask them were they found it. If I at a Con and spy a person w/a very well made beautiful costume, i ask the wearer about his/her garments, how they made it, even ask if I can take some pics of them. Later I try to do what I've seen.

My experienace with costuming started w/a Vistor uniform I'd ordered from a costumer, but it was way to big and not made well.

I took it to a seamstress and she said she couldn't even take it in to fit me. S i did it myself. Turned out it fit like a glove like it was suppossed to.(Praise God<G>) When I went to a Sci Fi convention in it, people kept snapping so many pics of the costume, I was seeing stars. I guess I did an Ok job. :) I was on the OTHER end of the camera this time. The dealers, convention goers even actors were asking if I made costumes for a living. Nope. I'd be scared too b/c I'd be extra picky on how it's to look on someone. I'd want that person to look excellant and be comfortbale in it, cuz it's wearble art.

That's my, what's yours?

Padawan Mynn

5. KEDA

KEDA Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    I have made with the help og my aunt two SW costumes..
    here is the web site with pic's
    http://www.geocities.com/saturn_girl_us/jedi-senate.html

6. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    JediLeiaSolo-
    I'm in Orlando, Florida :)

Here's another tidbit--You can try to intern somewhere such as an amusement park, costume shop, local theater. If you offer to hem, or repair or issue and clean costumes at least you get your foot in the door. Once in you can meet people and talk to them and see what route they took on their way up. Obviously no one wakes up at the top-you might need to stitch for years before you design--but remember you're learning the whole time.
    I wish you all the luck in the world--I can't think of a better profession!!!
    -FERD :)

7. Antigone_Maroon

Antigone_Maroon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Hello JediLeiaSolo!
    Costume and theatre design is also something that I am very interested in myself. I'm only 16 at the moment but have been considering not only costume but also set design (mostly in theatre) as a possible career. I'm currently studying art, drama, English language and literature and photography at school and try to get involved in school productions (from a design point of view) as much possible. My A level drama course covers theatre design extremely well and there is actually a design (opposed to a performance) option in the course that I plan to do next year (my second and last year of the course).
    However theatre design is only a career possibility for me at the moment and I am currently researching suitable university courses. I have decided that even if I end up not going into theatre design I still want to go into the arts side of things. I have more or less have made the decision the apply for a place on an art foundation course which I (hopefully) will attend for a year between school and before going to do whatever university course I decide to do.

I hope that provided some sort of help for you. I'm afraid I don't know an awful lot about costume design but it's something I'm going to be looking into anyway so I will report back if I find anything that might help you.

8. Master_of_Metropolis

Master_of_Metropolis Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    I also sew for a living. I went to school for theatrical costume design, as well as acting. My experience is to reseach the school, and visit it. Make sure you talk to the professors!! Visit the shop you'll work in and etc. The other thing to consider is do you want to design or do you want to build? They are two different things. A good program should teach you both, but many do not.

Hope this helps.

9. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    I used to live in Orange Co, CA. I had a friend with an MFA who is a professional costumer in LA. From my point of view, she constantly had to "hussle", often working more than one job. She taught at Cal State Fullerton. She designed and made costumes for shows, cruises, TV, etc. She had a job at Hollywood and Vine once for which she had to spend HOURS on the freeways every day.

I thought it was a hard living. And though there is a lot of opportunity in LA, there is also a lot of comptetition.

10. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I've never had one lick of professional instruction. But I make most of my own patterns and is largely self taught on dying techniques and all other sorts. I work in a fabric store (JoAnns) so that hopefully I can earn enough money to go to a fancy art school and take fashion design.

I was recently talking to a lady at the store and she mentioned how most people entering fashion don't know how to sew. I was shocked! I thought it ought to be a prerequisit. But then after gettin over it I began to feel pretty good. I'm already a step ahead of most :)

I do have one question though. Is it worth going to an expensive school just to get a degree? Also should I aim for a Masters?

11. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I really hate the word talent. It implies that if you weren't born with an innate ability then you'll never be any good. That it is some kind of magical comodity. An on off state and not analog.

With performing I had not one shred of natural ability, what I did and do have is the incredible burning desire to do it, so with years of hard slog I am now a competent performer.

And yet there are people who firmly believe that you have to be born to act/sing. Bollocks.

Same with costuming. I am not professionally trained. However I spent all me free time at school and Uni studying the great costume books. Davenport, Janet Arnold, Nora Waugh, Jean Hunnisett... with over a decade of readng and studying I should be in the position of looking at a garment and knowing how most of it is acheived.

I was approached by a woman doing a class at Polytech, and she was trying to tell me I have to to this and this course. Then I asked her a few questions about some basics and she had no idea who Kohler (either good or bad his work is a standard) or Arnold were. So I just looked at her and politely told her that she was wrong.

Terry Pratchet has a great line in Lords And Ladies.. saying that you can teach yourself, But both the teacher and the
    pupil had to be the right kind of person. Course that was in reference to magic;) But the principle applies.

For others it might be better to have someone else guide, until they are able to shape their own learning:)

It's like the argument for home schooling.. for some it's the best choice, for others it's the worst, and others might be indifferent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.