main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Costume Designers in Need Here*

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mystical, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical

Mystical Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2004
    Hello, I'm in need of someone who can help me out with this costume I'm trying to create. I believe you guys have already delt with a costume like this before. I'm trying to make a costume of the character called Darth Revan from the popular Star Wars game Knights of the Old Republic. Most of the stuff I need is already out there and I can purchase, but I really need to find someone who can make a good copy of Darth Revan's helmet if that's possible. If anyone could help me in this regard, I'd be greatful and of course if anyone here thinks they're up to the challenge, I'd pay you for it via paypal. Any other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks :)

2. elvenvoices

elvenvoices Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2003
    Best advice offered is to contact someone who works with armor work, or someone who is into helmet work. Helmets usually are done with injection molders, so it's hard for an everyday costumer to actually do it.

Consider looking around at Halloween for something similar and then deciding how to change it. Sometimes the best items are those we create ourselves. :)

3. Mystical

Mystical Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2004
    Thanks for you comment :)

4. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Well,
    I have to disagree about the helmet issue ;) .

Depending on the helmet you want, there are several ways to approach this. Make a professional mold and then either do it in fibreglass or as a vacuumformed piece, or go an easier way with materials you can easily come by, but a lot of work.

I for one find old motorcycling helmets to be a good basis to work from. My first x-wing helmet was entirely made from an old cheap helmet. Cutting it up, adding sheet styrene and putty, and then covering it in loads of spray paint left me with a nice helmet (at least if not directly compared to an accurate one :p ). The same I did with my naboo pilot helmet. Using a construction workers helmet as a base, and then adding styrene sheets again, and I had a nice naboo pilot helmet, right for the premiere of EP1 :D
    And then again, utilizing a section of a motorcycling helmet for my naboo palace guard helmet because of its nice round form, a styrene skater helmet as the base and additional styrene sheets, it really works very well.

And the wonderful stuff called high density polyurethane sheets, commonly referred to as (**** forgot the name !!! aaargh !!! <--- feels like a total dork !) you know what I mean, others might chime in and help me here *ahem* please ?!
    It can be heated and formed very well, cooked and then formed, and when it cools it really stays strong and holds its shape very well.

You could also work with that wirestuff for bird and rabbit cages and papiermaché and other stuff like bondo and then sand it etc. And then laquer it.

So, there is a wide variety of choices for building a helmet. It is almost easier than sewing a costume :D

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.