main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hamp Costume Making

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Cephas, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cephas

Cephas Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    While I was in Walmart today I saw a hand-held sewing machine for $15. It's supposed to be able to sew leather, denim, silk, etc. Does anyone know how well this thing works? I was wondering because I can't sew very well and thought this would be useful in making a Jedi outfit. I saw some nice vinyl material that looks like it's leather and thought it would look good for the vest. I'd love to maybe have some of us get together to spend an afternoon making our own Jedi vestments.

2. jediscar

jediscar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2007
    I think with sewing machines, you get what you pay for. I think you'd be better off finding someone with a good sewing machine and have then either do it ffor you or teach you how to use it.

3. PRINCESSVADER73

PRINCESSVADER73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2008
    I have a sewing machine, and would be glad to help out. Just let me know. Maybe we could work out a trade for sewing projects and pocket models....

4. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I to can saw very well and have a nice machine.

Remeber Pete I made the first robe you got. I think you still have it. But I can help out anytime you wish. Just let me know.

I know at one time John want to do one as well. I'd be up for a new myself. We may be able to get a discount on supplies if we;d get a lot? Who know? Maybe we'll talk about it more at the next meeting. I have a ton on my plate till Friday. lol

Seeya,
    TK

5. Dizzygrl

Dizzygrl Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2008
    I really wanna do my jedi. I still have the pattern ready to go. But no sewing skills

6. PRINCESSVADER73

Apr 16, 2008
    I told Andy I'd help you guys with that. If you get the fabric and the pieces cut, I can put it together for you. We'll figure a way to get them to me. Once everyone has recovered from their Star Wars hangover, we can plan the next meeting or random get together. Or you can always mail it. It shouldn't cost too much, depending on the thickness of the material. The offer is out there for any and all...The kids will be in school soon, and I don't have a daytime job as of yet. I will have some quiet time on my hands and wouldn't mind a project.

7. flightmech73

flightmech73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 5, 2007
    sweet.... ill let ya know when were ready. im buying a car at the end of the month and will have to pay on it for a couple month.

8. PRINCESSVADER73

Apr 16, 2008
    Does anyone have a grommet punch? I'm trying to make myself happier with my flak vest an the grommets would make it look more "finished".

9. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    No gromet punch here. I need one to repair a tarp that I 've had lying around though...

On the sewing front, I have the material and a pattern for a tusken robe....but no sewing machine...

10. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    What kind of material are you using Steve?

11. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    Not sure what it is. I bought several different types of material to combine together to make it look more realistic. Most of it is a "rough" linen. I also found some good colors and material in the cuttings bin to use for wraps, helmet, etc.

12. PRINCESSVADER73

Apr 16, 2008
    I posted the updated pics of my armor. Thank you again Brandon!!!!! I'm so happy my blaster damage doesn't look like bird poop anymore!! Here's the link for anyone who did not see it on the 15th. Hope to have it complete soon!
    http://photobucket.com/PRINCESSVADER73

13. Cephas

Cephas Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    Dam, looking better everytime! And I love the gun! Do you need to put an orange tip at the end or are you allowed to keep it like that?

14. PRINCESSVADER73

Apr 16, 2008
    I have different guns I need to paint. I was told that one would not be allowed, because it is "real"...

15. Capt_Brandon_Berry

Capt_Brandon_Berry Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2008
    you wellcome shell, glad you like it. its nice to know that im good at making things look bad! weathing is a big thing to do. even on your tusken steve. its got to have that lived in look to it. if you need the help im willing

16. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    It's on the to-do list for 2012...I'll keep you posted.

17. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm stuck between starting a Tusken or a Jedi. Either way it's gonna cost some coin... plus, I want to design a jedi costume that's a little different from the rest...

18. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    If TK can make you a helmet mold, you can do a Tusken for much less than a jedi. My tusken will cost me less than $100.

19. Capt_Brandon_Berry

Capt_Brandon_Berry Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2008
    way under 100. steve whats up w/ your trooper?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.