main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Costume Opportunity - August 20 - Brookfield Zoo

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sorry dude...
    all I have is 4 Black Swallowtail larvae....and one is already on it's way to metamorphosis...chrysallis as of this morning

;)

2. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Phylis, thanks, it will be the portage look:)

ref rancor request...........I did a google search
    for what I thought would be a logical place to
    look for rancor's here on earth and found only
    one obscure reference for a place near,
    Caprock Canyon, TEXAS, on a deer hunting web-site,

evidently, these hunters stayed at the

Rancor Ranch..............
    (the name seems to suggest that they might know
    something.......)

as for me....after that, you are on your own:)

Ed

3. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    lol...
    well...we might not be able to get you a Rancor...

how about some "bracers"?
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/schphgochi/detail?.dir=/d78escd&.dnm=6219re2.jpg&.src=ph

how it kinda/sorta looks on the arm/hand
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/schphgochi/detail?.dir=/d78escd&.dnm=e5bcre2.jpg&.src=ph

4. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    SAWEEEETT!!!! Thanks soooo much!!!

5. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    But seriously folks:)

Based on the above ?cut & paste? of Ken G e-mail, and I quote,

"Everyone should arrive at the South Service Gate
    and follow the signs to the Discovery Center parking lot"

After studying the Brookfield Zoo interactive map,

It looks like we should enter the regular South Parking lot,
    And on the North-East side of that parking lot...

...is the South Service Gate? Which leads to the service road...
    that goes North on the East side of the Zoo to the
    Discovery Center parking?.Looks easy on the interactive map.

Any thoughts on parade crowd interactions?..
    or photo-ops with family/friends who may be just visiting the Zoo?

6. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    It should look a little better on your arm...it is kinda too big for mine...

And...yes..Musictrooper...
    the Discovery Center should be easy to find....the last time I was at the DC it was during a snowstorm....lol...and I still found it...

7. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Lions and Tigers, and Wookies,.......OH MY!

Anyway, it's August, and only 19 days to go,
    and I thought a little activity was in order
    on this thread:)

with that in mind, here is a question
    I had asked earlier,

Any thoughts on parade crowd interactions?..
    or photo-ops with family/friends/fans
    who may be just visiting the Zoo?

Ed

8. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    We will definitely be doing photo ops after the parade....
    As far as the parade itself....I will clarify with the zoo...but I think we will march in parade fashion....Ken and I will stage the marching order....and not break the march...interaction will be at the end of the parade...this is a really short parade....
    not the Bartlett 4 mile "Death March"...lol...

9. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?shttplink=../pgpages/pagegen.236.aspx&nsection=10

then click on Leopards....

;)

However...they captioned the photo wrong...[face_blush]

10. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Yay, I like leopards!! But as for marching formation, if the ladies in the crowd can't control themselves when they see this sculptured body in all its glory that day, I may have to fend them off. I'll do my best.

11. doc4converse

doc4converse Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    I am going to try to come and bring some kids with me, but I cannot say for sure yet...

12. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Don't worry Jodokast....we will have plenty of Stormtroopers to beat off all of the women...
    o_O
    and I hope that as many CF'ers as possibly can come...what could be better...

seeing our "relatives" at the Zoo...and having a little Star Wars to go with it...

13. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Giving a little bump here............

14. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Mark, PM'd ya about the rancor if ya need it still

15. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/e9GetMapDataDirectGme5diw2ca3a9u123.gif]

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/e9GetMapDataDirectGme5diw2ca3a9u123.gif

Okay, This map is from mapquest, and "the STAR" indiacates the South Gate,
    that I located in my travels Yesterday, after the Costume Club.

Ed

16. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    If you click on this page...
    http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?shttplink=../pgpages/pagegen.236.aspx&nsection=2

Rats....that link is not working...it keeps taking you to the "Zoo Stars" main page...

Well...Click on any link that says getting around the Zoo...

and then click into the PDF map....

If you look by the South Entrance....there is a road that you take to the right just past the South Entrance gates.....it then curves to the left and runs parallel to First Ave and takes you back to the Discovery Center....that is the staging area...

Did you get my e-mail from last night with the Marching Order....
    How about you Mark?

I have a few more things to add to your bracers/forearm pieces...and then they are done...

EGAD...I have so much to remember and do before Sunday....

getting nervous!

17. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Yes, I got your email. Now, the question is, do we park in the South lot and walk that service road? Or do we drive up that? And what time are you getting there Phyllis?

18. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Got e-mail A-OK,

PM sent on marching order.

Ed

19. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    You can drive that service road all the way back to the Discovery Center...I am calling Ken today to double check whether we go to the little Security building or drive up to the Admission Gates at the South Entrance...

I am also going to double check with Ken about the time...initially he had told me he wanted us ready for some photo opportunities 1/2 hour before the parade began...parade begins at 1:00 PM....
    then he said we should be ready at 12:45...
    so...I will check and make sure....mainly because I would like us all to get a few group photos before we head out...after the parade is over...things will probably get really nutty! Getting folks organized for group photos is usually a real scream....I would like to take some of everyone...and then some of the Imperials only, Rebels only, face characters only...PT only...etc...so....that will take probably 20 minutes...

Mark...is Liam coming? In the marching order I have placed you next to Conor Markle who is the 10 year old son of one of our most active Vaders....Conor dresses as Luke from ROTJ...so he will look perfect with you...

Regardless...I do plan on getting to the Zoo right around 11:00 AM...I have a bunch to unload and last minute things..

20. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    For those of us that are not in costume for this event, but are just there to hang out and enjoy the parade and zoo, why, don't we meet at the Roosevelt fountain, on the east side to enjoy the parade together. We could meet at 12:30, which should give us enough time to find each other and pick out a good spot. :)

And if anyone wants to meet earlier in that, just post here.

21. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    For those not in costume....wear those spiffy Chicago Force T-Shirts...

I spoke to Ken this morning...and he sounded more than a little giddy...apparently the Zoo has been getting a lot of inquiries about us Star Wars geeks being there...and he was now getting pumped about the whole thing....
    I tried to tell him that us Star Wars Geeks are a loyal bunch and there would be a good deal of excitement once people saw that we were going to be there!

Soooo...

For the Costumed members:
    You will drive up to any of the admission gates at the SOUTH ENTRANCE...
    Tell the people in the admission booth that you are a part of the parade...they will check the list that Security will give them (that I will send a final of to Ken tomorrow)and admit the costumed member on the list and the costumed member's vehicle at no charge....if the costumed participant brings friends or family...the additional people will have to pay an admission fee....

As soon as you leave the admission gate, you will see a sign for the Discovery Center...just take the road that the sign points to back to the Discovery Center...you will park at the Discovery Center. Enter the building and take a left after entering the double glass doors...there is a series of classrooms down that hall on the left....we have custody of all of the classrooms to change into costume.

I will be getting there around 10:30 AM...
    You can arrive early....
    Around 12:15 PM at the latest...we will get all of the costumed people together for some group photos...
    At 12:30 PM...we get into our "marching order" at 12:45 PM we walk to the North Mall/Gate (a short walk) for the start of the parade...the parade begins at 1:00 PM....the parade is a loop and we will end up back at the Discovery Center...
    Ken decided to have all of the general public who wants photos with us to do so after the parade...so we will be at the Discovery Center in costume until all requests for photos are filled....

After that...you are free to tour the Zoo until it closes....but not in costume...lol...you have to change out of costume...

If there is any questions...please...don't hesitate to ask!

22. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Cool. Thanks for all those answers, Gochi. And as for Liam, he will be by later. Like he wants to be seen with his dad half-naked.

23. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    ref,

Getting folks organized for group photos is usually a real scream....I would like to take some of everyone...and then some of the Imperials only, Rebels only, face characters only...PT only...etc...so....that will take probably 20 minutes...

----------------

so, wedding pictures would be easier:)

also,

I think I am going to start thanking you now for all your hard workd
    on this event. I figure, if I get a head start on this,
    it may not take forever to complete.

THANKS!

24. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    And...the final update:

UPDATES

Brookfield Zoo
    Zoo Stars Parade
    August 20, 2006

ARRIVAL
    You can arrive early...I plan on arriving between 10:30 AM and 11:00 AM-for last minute stuff..I have a huge amount of things that I am bringing.

You will need to use the South Entrance only...the South Entrance is tucked away behind Riverside-Brookfield School....
    When you arrive at the South Entrance, just pull up to one of the Admission gates. Tell the Admissions person you are part of the Parade and give them your name...also let them know if your children/spouse are on the list of costumed participants and our two support people. The vehicle you arrive in and the costumed/support people will get free admission....unfortunately...others will have to pay admission. If there is any mix-up....I will reimburse anyone personally.
    As soon as you leave the Admission gate you should see a sign for the Discovery Center and there will be a road that leads to the right....follow the road to the Discovery Center and there is a parking lot at the Center. Park anywhere. When arriving at the building..go through the glass doors and go to the left...there should be a hall with a row of classrooms to the left. All of the classrooms are reserved for us to change in and to leave our tubs and what-not in.

The timetable is:
    Arrive plenty early...with a group this size...there will probably be a lot of chit-chat (which is always fun) and getting suited up will probably take longer than usual. Right around noon - I would like us all to go to the front of the Discovery Center for some group photos....
    The entire group and separate shots of the 501st, Rebel Legion, TJA, Chicago Force members...if so desired...this could take some time. Initially, Ken had us doing some photo ops with the crowd before hand but he decided to wait and have the photos with the public AFTER the parade.

At 12:45 P.M. we will have to be in our "marching order" and march from the Discovery Center to the start of the parade at the North Mall.....this is the VERY busy North Entrance to the Zoo....so things will get nutty...try to stay in formation as best as possible....

At 1:00 P.M. SHARP the Parade steps off.....this is a short parade....so there should hopefully be no problems with overheating etc....and...early forecast for Sunday is sunny and 80 degrees...how great is that?

After the parade...we will be asked to do photo opportunities...
    I would say to break off into groups (however it "happens) and let the public go from group to group....

After all of the photo ops are completed, we go back to the Discovery Center and change...we aren't allowed to tour the Zoo in costume.

I will be bringing a couple coolers with water and ice and some juice boxes for the kids....

You can stay at the Zoo for the rest of the day...the Zoo closes at 7:00 PM.

This is the official list of our costumed participants and the two support people that I "sqeezed" in...

Mike Plesha ? Darth Vader
    Chris Schwarz-Anakin Skywalker
    Katlyn Schwarz - AOTC Juvenile Clone
    John Duffy - Stormtrooper
    Lisa Wetzel - Stormtrooper
    Chris Rhoades.- Sandtrooper
    Jerry Budde- Tusken Raider - stand-by-
    Rich Markle-Tie Fighter Pilot - possible stand-by Vader???
    Conor Markle- Luke - ROTJ
    Kevin Robinson- Boba Fett
    Kathy van Beuningen- Imperial Officer
    Vince Newkirk- Tarkin
    Quincy Newkirk- A New Hope Leia
    Mark Franklin - Malikili - Rancor Keeper
    Cheryl Whittaker- Jedi
    Hayley Matanowski- Mini Leia
    Erik Moan- Stormtrooper
    Kate Moan - Mara Jade
    Deidra Culp- Padme's Parade Gown
    Lionel Bottari- Ben Kenobi
    Emma Bottari- Clonetrooper
    Aimee Jorgensen- Biker Scout
    John Fitzsimmons - Stormtrooper
    Bob Walton- Sandtrooper
    Harley Walton- Juvenile Clone
    Raven Walton- Juvenile Clone
    Mary Walton- Support
    Kathleen Mulholland- Tie Fighter Pilot
    Joseph Flores- Tie Fighter Pilot
    Alex Flores- Inter-galactic Smuggler/Mara Jade
    Gina Martino- Padme - from Clone Wars Cartoon
    Tom Schaeffer- Royal Guard
    Jeremy Wilcox - Stormtroo

25. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    There is a 75% chance of me going to "cheer" you guys on...and hit on the Rancor Keeper! /wink

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.