main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Costume or Not?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Murder_Sandwhich, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm in a conflict. Should i waste some money on a Star Wars costume that i'll wear once and get a beating for it, or should i be the odd nerd out and wear my civies?

hmm...

2. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    You won't be left out. I was there in 2002 at the Regent and all the nutbags were wearing their costumes. But who cares what other people think.

3. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Don't necessarily need to spend much money at all, could just get a couple of metres of cheap fabric and tie it around your neck as a cloak. Could always find a use for the material later.
    Of course, if you have the inclination and time, you could sew up said fabric into something a bit more dedicated. Speaking of which, I should get my arse into gear and finish of my gi. And start my cloak. And obi. And modify my boots. Not to mention getting my sabres finished...
    Just bust out your 70s clothes, add a cloak, and come as an Alderaanian. Easy to fold up the cloak if you're scared of getting beaten up. (Another reason to bring a sabre... mwahahaha!)

4. ImperialCourtessan

ImperialCourtessan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I was at the Regent for the midnight opening in 2002 - there were nearly 2 dozen costumed characters, and the newspaper cameras went NUTS... so I will be there in costume this time.

Besides, we can dust off the garb again when Lucas aims to release 3D versions each year starting in 2007 for the ANH 30th Anniversary! ;DDD

5. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Casual Jedi, Marvin, Killer Ewok, Luigi are all pictured above in costume for the AOTC screening.

Casual is going to be in costume again, I'm sure there'll be plenty of others dressed up, so you won't feel weird. Unless you're coming as "sail barge Leia"...

(Is "there'll" a real word?)

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I wasn't planning on going in costume. Something about the fact that I don't want to spend the money on something I might only wear once.

Kithera

7. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I might bring a jedi robe, mostly cos I am old and like to have somthing like a blanky to shelter under when the cinema air con gets pumped right up.

8. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    *tongue-in-cheek*

The Cineplex Southbank cinemas, from memory, aren't too cold.

9. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Don't really have time or money to spend on a costume. Will go civies and take a blanket, for the damn air con.

10. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Just get some coloured fabric and wrap it around you somehow - isnt that what most SW are? :p

I havent made up my mind about wether to costume or not. I am leaning towards doing so, seeing as all that the costume has done for the past 3 years is sit in the wardrobe :p although the Jedi robe is very good in winter!

11. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I was thinking about going with a piece of paper taped to me that says "Dark Vador".

Either that, or a wear my Darth Helmet and wear gangsta clothes, and a big gold necklace with the Imperial Symbol on it.

12. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I really want to go in costume because, hey, come on, it's the last Star Wars movie. Might as well go for broke, right? If there's one night in which embracing your (and by 'your' I mean 'my') total nerd-dom is acceptable and understandable, it's that night. So I'm really thinking what the hell, I'm going to damn well do it.

Speaking of which, though I'm a first-timer to this whole costume business. Do any of you fine folk know where I might want to look/what I might want to do to get myself one? Because it's getting close now, and if I am going in costume, I want to be ready.

13. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    It helps if you have a mother who knows how to sew :D

14. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I was going to suggest hiring something BIGBOSSNASS. I was in the US for the last movie and the friends I was with hired their robes and whatever. I'm presuming the costuming stores here have such things, but a ring around wouldn't hurt.

I want to do the costuming thing, but if so some of us MUST TRAVEL INTO THE CITY AS A GROUP!!, I just can't cope with ridicule alone, but together, it's almost acceptable. UNless of course some of Kahli's hated high school thugs are on the train or whatever, then I'll just cry. Hell why don't we just drive in!

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Quickie home jedi robe:

5 metres fabric from spotlight (recommend poplin - light, flows well, easy to work with, $3 a metre)

fold in half at deisred height (ie approx 5ft). cut off remainder. place pins at approx. shoulder width, centred at fold. pin to mark bottom of arm holes. pin in direct line from this mark to outside edge of fabric at bottom.

cut. Sew most of the way up. Leave holes for arms.

Cut up the middle, and across top wide enough for neck (not too wide and NOT to shoulder pins)

Fold approx 50-70cm of fabic in half. place pin at same distance from fold as hole left for arms in main robe. pin diagonally from this point to far outer edge. cut. Repeat (if you're feeling up to it you can do both at once with a sharp sharp pair of scissors)

Sew arms into robe. This is the tricky bit. You can always sew up any gaps - no one wil notice. Sew seam of arm so they don't flap about all neue-romantic.

You're most of the way there.

I'll be back when I can remember how I did the hood. (wasn't hard, about the same as the arms, but I'm not sure where I put the seam. Will check tonight)

Long story short, I managed to knock up 2 jedi robes and 1 sith robe in less than 3 days, and for under $60 (the sith robe cost more than the jedi ones) and they've yet to fall apart. They're a bit shonky in places but with all that fabric no one notices. It's not hard if you want one.

I concede that $15 is still not an inconsiderable sum. And that didn't include thread or neeldles etc (which I already had).

but whatever. FYI.

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Oh, and for under:

Grab a metre or so of cheese cloth of something else textured, wrap around your neck and tuck into your robe, hold robe closed, wear jeans. hey presto.

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    When I walked out of the AOTC screening, a non-board member (who came with us) and I decided to attend Episode 3 wearing suits.
    With full-head masks of Yoda and chewie tucked into the suit.

Ah well.

18. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I was going to suggest hiring something BIGBOSSNASS. I was in the US for the last movie and the friends I was with hired their robes and whatever. I'm presuming the costuming stores here have such things, but a ring around wouldn't hurt.

I want to do the costuming thing, but if so some of us MUST TRAVEL INTO THE CITY AS A GROUP!!, I just can't cope with ridicule alone, but together, it's almost acceptable. UNless of course some of Kahli's hated high school thugs are on the train or whatever, then I'll just cry. Hell why don't we just drive in!

Yeah, I'd prefer to hire one if possible, I think. Something cool-looking. Does anyone know of a place around here I could do such a thing from.

And yes, I completely agree about traveling in a group. :p

19. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    If you're good maybe your mum will make you one like this

But only if you're good

(and even if you're not)

oh, that never gets old :D

20. sith star

sith star Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2000
    old old old old old old old there now its old

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    hello pot, this kettle - come in, pot.

say again over.

22. sith star

May 29, 2000
    hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm pot aaahhhaawwala
    bit too much kettle though

23. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    sorry, I only speak english.

24. sith star

May 29, 2000
    realy I thought you would be able to speak klingon

25. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I've mentioned my plans to go as Jar Jar in a Star Trek costume in another thread, and my mind is made up on that. But should I go to any special effort, like scouring eBay for masks and creating a fabric Star Trek logo to stick on my shirt, or just wear a really half-arsed paper mask printed from my computer?

Should I risk offending both over-serious fans and those with good fashion taste?

Please help!

Yours sincerely,

Confused Clive

Edit: Disregard all that. After a quick look the options available on eBay, I realized how much more effective (i.e. infuriating) the "professional" look will be. Besides, a rubber mask will act as protection against the plastic lightsabres.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.