main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Costume or Not?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Murder_Sandwhich, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialCourtessan

ImperialCourtessan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Hey peeps! My Lake Dress is nearing completion! But it's gonna be damn tight down to the wire, time-wise.

http://imageevent.com/absinthangel/thecostumes/starwarsepiithelakedress

password you'll need is: gidday

feedback welcome!

2. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    That's scarily great work - keep it up!

I've finally found my oversized Mexican sombrero. Tonight's challenge will be to convincingly attach Jar Jar's head to the top. Anyway... do you think I should wear a paper William Shatner to complete the illusion?

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    That looks great, IC! Hope you can get it finished in time. Have you got the area around the neck front sorted?
    Or is it simply jewellery over the top of the neck? I see the bangle type items around the biceps are holding up the sleeves. Oh, nevermind, Pic #10 answers my question.

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow, IC, that's amazing. I can't wait to see it on Wednesday. :)

2 DAYS!!!!!!!

5. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    That is awesome, IC! I cant wait to see it!

6. setra

setra Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    very cool dress, well done

7. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Thats fantastic, IC. Well done. :)

8. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Unfortunately due to another training accident on Friday and spending all weekend in bed or at the hospital, I will not be costuming, but I think I may make up a shirt.

9. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    You okay Lozza???? sounds like you got injured by sabres or something!!!

..and IC isn't coming to the Brissie event as she'll be in Adelaide. Isn't that what happened?? I too was SO looking forward to seing the dress for real. Maybe we can have a follow up costume party sometime! :)

10. setra

May 12, 2005
    *grins* you could always have the costume party in gympie...

11. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    I just caught a couple of blows to the head and stomach. I'm a little pissed because my sparring partner should have been pulling her blows, and as an official sparring session she should not have been going for the head at all. Strictly for anyone less than black belt it is suppose to be light or no contact. But the black belts wouldn't step in and stop it because she is the president of the club and I got chided when my fist can within an inch of her face after sliding off her shoulder.

I've caught blows like that off some of the younger students and it doesn't both me because they usually don't understand the rules (don't usually hit as hard either) and the black belts always pull them back in line, especially the males. But when two girls are sparring they just tend to leave be.

Just venting...

Yeah IC will be in SA, I really wanted to see the dress too... Looks good from the pics.

12. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Aww thats too bad Lozza! Do you do karate or judo or something?

13. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    No, she's an accountant. :p

Sounds painful, by the way. Get well soon!

14. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    My costume is finalised, I tried it (complete) last night and it looked great. I was going to upload a few pics, but two things stopped me:

1) I couldn't get my saber to glow right, using Photoshop... Cargin, and those others who make glowing saber pics, how do you do it? Outer Glow? Bevelling?

2) I have to keep some mystery for you guys! :p

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    regular brush strokes of varying opacity should do the trick (colour stroke, white in the middle 100%... use click at one end then shift+click at t'other to get a straight line)

16. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I completed my costume today, and just tried on the finished product:

(Edited for "spoilers" - sorry, Kahli. Go here to see the offending costume.)

It was magical.

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    there goes the surprise.

18. setra

May 12, 2005
    oh dear....

hmm... *imagining the comments your going to get wearing that hat*

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Cargin, and those others who make glowing saber pics, how do you do it? Outer Glow? Bevelling?

Yep, outer glow. Basically, draw a white line onto a new layer for the sabre's 'core', then put a slight gaussian blur on it (about 0.5 - 1 depending), and then slap an outer glow on it. You'll need to tweak the glow settings to get it looking good, but with a bit of practice, it's pretty easy.

And ouch. HappyBob's hat is a masterpiece....OF TERROR!

20. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Someone finally beheaded Jar-Jar, and put him on a hat.

21. MajorClod

MajorClod Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    Damn I can't sleep... maybe its because I'm finishing off my costume?? I have a programming assignment to hand in but i want to get this all done so that I can work on some code tomorrow.

I just finished my anakin glove replica and I'm extremely pleased considering I only started using a sewing machine a few weeks ago. Granted it took me a couple of goes to get the fingers the right fit, but now its awesome. All I need is the metal buckles for the gauntlet, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find anything like that.

Have a look at it here!

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/glove.jpg

Now I'm working on some wider tabbards to replace my old ones. Hopefully they won't take me long then I'll get to sewing up my boot spats for my new cheaper riding boots.

Bloody hell its 4am!

22. setra

May 12, 2005
    very cool glove, sad that you did that instead of doing your assignment... but well done for the glove it's great

23. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I think we may be able to top HappyBob's effort. The former Fanattic gang will have JarJar's head on a pike.

24. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow, nice work on the glove! :D

And heh, I couldn't sleep last night either. In my foolishness, I thought I'd have no problem, but no, as soon as I lay down, my mind filled with lightsabres and wookies. :D

25. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    how wude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.