main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Costume Projects Progress Reports

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by starfire-phoenix, Feb 22, 2005.

1. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Since there are so many of us making new costumes for RotS, and at least a few Jedi, I thought we could use this thread to post progress pics and updates and stuff in case it is helpful to others.

At the moment, I?m looking at suppliers, both loca and overseas for suitable fabrics.

For those of you who aren?t fabric-savvy, I can tell you what you can get from where so you can go in and ask for it, instead of being so lost. Additionally, if anyone is interested, we can go to stores as a group and even get together to sew if you like.

Jedi Fabric in Adelaide - Suggestions / Recommendations

Based on Obi-Wan style robes:

The real thing was made with something called ?Indian Homespun?, which is a cotton fabric that has a bit of a rough look to it. It?s hard to find something similar here, and I have been looking. I still have some more fabric stores to have a look at, so this is by no means a complete listing.

Pants

- Medium weight cotton in light tan to white, depending on personal preference
    - Spotlight have lots of different ones you can use

Inner Tunic

The real thing was made with crinkle cotton in off white, in the same shade as the outer tunic. This is a very lightweight fabric, and you will probably want it to be soft and comfortable, as it?s right up against your skin.

- You used to be able to get something perfect for it from Spotlight, but I?ve checked with them recently, and they told me that they don?t have it anymore
    - DK?s in Gouger street have some, but only about half a metre
    - I have yet to have a look at other stores
    - If you can get cheesecloth in off white, that would work well
    - If you are not concerned with the crinkle, you could use cotton voile, cotton homespun, cotton broadcloth or a lightweight linen

Outer Tunic

This is made from a heavier weight fabric. The colour is off-white to tan, depending on personal preference. I am searching for the perfect fabric, but haven?t found one yet.

You could possibly use:
    - Medium to heavyweight linen (DK?s Gouger St have some that could work)

Brown Robe

The real thing was made from wool, but you don?t have to use it unless you want to be ultra authentic. I?m waiting on some swatches to come over from a store in the US. I?m planning on using wool flannel, because it?s not too expensive and it seems light just the right weight, not too light, and not to heavy. I?m always on the look out for this fabric locally, so if I find some here, I will report back.

There are plenty of alternatives you could use though, like:
    - Heavyweight linen (though I don?t know of anywhere that has it in dark brown at the moment
    - Cotton drill
    - Cotton homespun

I hope that?s enough to help get you started. BTW, spotlight has 100% linen in black for $10 a metre for those of you who are darksiders.

2. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    I went to DK?s Gouger St to look at the linen and the cheesecloth in my lunchbreak. They have cheesecloth in white, but not in cream. I bought the last of the cream.

I also bought some tan/natural coloured linen blend for $10 a metre for my outer tunic. It?s a little darker than I wanted, but it will give a nice natural sort of look. I?ll take some photos of them all together when I get home. They have loads of it left, so if anyone else is interested, grab it while you can.

DK's also have black linen for between $10 - $14 a metre.

3. Nawara-Ven

Nawara-Ven Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    I actually used poplin for my Jedi cloak, which is nice and light to wear on hot days, what with all the robes underneath! I used linen for the robes and for the pants, which seemed to give them just the 'right' finish....

The last costume I used cheesecloth on was my Tatooine Padme....that came up really good using that.

Not sure of what to do for the premiere, still exploring ideas, but I'm sure it'll be something interesting.....

I don't sew much these days, not like I used to. Just don't have the time anymore - unless it's holidays, then I seem to go full bore. :) (I was only joking about not knowing what fabrics meant what in the other thread, btw....you get used to my humour after a while) :D

4. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Um, my diet plan to fit into my stormie armour isn't exactly going to plan....
    I want to stop eating crap food but.....

5. Brun-Farron

Brun-Farron Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    Evil sits all day....he need some walkies?

Brun has begun Clone Trooper.....see Bruns Siggy for looky...

brun speaks third person now?

brun thinks ....yes

:D

oh....btw - apparently i'm to make a good Grey Jedi.... take the test at the bottom of THIS page

6. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    I am not working on anything for ROTS since i have my TK outfit which is what i will be using for premiere...

But am working on a sith mask to go with my robes

7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Nice!! Can't wait to see that one!!

8. DarkDisciple

DarkDisciple Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2005
    Well i was going to wait until i lost some weight first, but i guess i may as well make a start. Can always take it in if i have too ;) Got some good ideas for my Dark Jedi costume, and quite a few reference pics. By the way i should have some pic's for you by the end of this weekend. Already Finished a single hilt, will be getting to work on a double hilt tonight. Will have pics of both by sun/mon at the latest.

9. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    DD, you could always buy your fabric now at least. Jedi robes are good in that they can be slightly baggy and still look okay. Even though I'm small, a large tunic doesnt look too big for me. Pants are a different matter. You can certainly make a start on a cloak, as that will probably be the same size anyway.

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    She's right, a cloak/robe is big anyway, it's meant to flow behind you. And a belt is the best way to bring in an oversized tunic! :p :p

11. DarkDisciple

Jan 20, 2005
    Cool

I was thinking of going on a fabric hunt one weekend if anyone was intrested in tagging along, Probably on a saturday. Was going to do the rounds maybe even go to a few metro stores as well. The Robes sound like a plan ;)

Ive been walking about 12kms a day so wont be long and the tunic wont be a problem.

I think im going to have a crack at making some shin Guards soon, im also going to go down to bonnetts and get some prices on some black riding boots.

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Around $100 - $150!! :eek: Dave-Jedi got some and he will be the first to tell you, make sure you get the 'shoe horn' thing as the boots are impossible to get off without it! :p

13. DarkDisciple

Jan 20, 2005
    ouch hehehehehehe
    yeah i dont mind spending that much on my boots. Probably spend a lot more than that on my costume but i dont mind. Looking forward to getting it all happening, i was also looking at some Black motor cycle boots for some sithly inspiration.

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Buckles!! They always look mean!! [face_devil]

15. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm happy to go on a fabric expedition with you one day DD. It's been a while since I've done the rounds outside of the city. Some stores are better than others though, depending on what you are after.

You could always add buckles and leather straps to your boots to make them look scarier. I've got a leather punch if anyone needs to use it. I've also got a leather awl too (to make holes and stuff).

16. DarkDisciple

Jan 20, 2005
    cool.

I thought i would just get out and about and see whats out there, never know where that elusive bargin might pop up. That and the fact that i dont know squat about fabrics... yet ;) Probably have a look see sometime in march.

Im kinda Thinking Motor cyle boots, for that Maul BadA** look, or Riding boots with black polished shin guards.

17. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    I'll be happy to explain to you what I know. I've got a ton of different fabrics in my stash (probably a few too many lol). I should probably put together a swatch set that will help people learn about the different fabrics and how to recognise them. It's always good to get to know what's out there at the stores too. I'm going to a few of the suburban ones this Saturday, so if I see anything useful, I'll report back :D

Is anyone on the look out for anything in particular?

18. DarkDisciple

Jan 20, 2005
    Im not even sure at this point. lol

Im kinda thinking grey or charcoal and Black, been doing a fair bit of reseach online, im thinking charcoal for inner tunic, Black for outter tunic and pants, and a black Robe.
    but ive got a feeling i will probably chop and change as i get closer to getting it all together.

19. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    motorcycle boots look really cool with Jedi robes - I wore Fox's for the Norwood pageant (luckily I have big feet, same size as his). :D

Went out to see Guri and SteveStormie today - her headpiece for her costume is looking really good. I can't wait to see the finished product! Still thinking of sticking with the white Padme that I wore to AOTC, but not sure yet - might just find time to make an Aayla Secura once I get in shape. Uni's back on Monday fulltime, no more sitting in front of the computer all day getting fat! Yay!! :D

20. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    I called into Spotlight (City) today after work and handed over my 'I am a sad, fabric addict card'* .... anyway... while I was there I looked for cream cotton voile and I found it! It was hiding down near the cotton velveteen and the poplin. They also have it in black. It would work well for undertunics. It's nice and thin and lightweight and it's a natural fibre, so it allows you to breath (means less stinky too!). I looked for grey but I didn't see any.

They still have the black linen for $10 a metre too.

* I came home with 19 metres of fabric on a roll, and lugged it on the train.. lol. It's for mock ups. It worked out to $0.50 a metre. How could I resist! A mock up is a practice version of something to get the pattern alterations finalised before cutting out your good fabric. The idea is to get really cheap fabric. It can save a lot of headaches.

21. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    I got some fabric from DK fabrics for my LOTR ringwraith robes which double as Emperor/Dark Lord for me....

Riding boots look better cause they go up higher than most motorcycle boots, i have motorcycle boots and compared to DJ's his are much better, but i bought mine well before my costume was made.

22. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    yeah, but when you've only paid $5 for the motorcycle boots at a garage sale, then they're heaps better than nothing at all!!!!!

I don't see the point in spending over $100 for boots for a costume......but that's just me. :)

23. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    If you get the right sort of boots, you can wear them everyday too. I wear my jedi boots with my jeans.. lol But then I love boots. I'm working on my jedi costume today so I'm wearing my boots... lol

Speaking of which, I promised a photo of my fabric. Here tis!

[image=http://www.starfirephoenix.net/Images/sw/jedi/fabric1.jpg]

The top one is off white crinkle cotton. I bought the last of it from DK's city store. I asked if they had any more and they said no. I know that neither Lincraft or Spotlight in the city have any. If I find any more at other stores, I will let you know. It's for my undertunic.

The second one is the linen that I bought from DK's city that I mentioned earlier in this thread. It was $10 a metre and 150cm wide. I'm using that for my overtunic. They still have tons left.

The fabric at the bottom is for my pants. It's called 'washed homespun' and it's 100% cotton and very soft and pretty thin. It has a slightly rough look to it. I had considered using it for my overtunic but it's too thin, and I'll use it for my pants instead. As far as I know, Spotlight sold out of this. I got it from the clearance table about a month or so ago.

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Those fabrics look great Starfire. And they will be cool in the summer months. Do you intend on doing the Norwood pageant with us this year?

25. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Thanks :D I'm a bit of a natural fibre freak when it comes to my jedi costume :D

I definitely plan on coming along to Norwood this year :D Provided that it doesn't clash with anything else that I'm doing.