Costume/Props building workshop - July 12th.

Discussion in 'Syracuse, NY' started by strawbary, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Now, now. No calling people lazy, even if they are, like me. I viewed it, but;

A) I need help with starting a lightsaber of my own and don't have much skills with using tools and such and;

B) It would be easier to judge what's needed by seeing it in person. Bring it to the workshop if you are coming and I'm sure you'll be given some ideas then.
  2. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Bad news- I may not be able to come.

Good news- all my costume needs is a bit of Velcro.

Bad news- I can't be there to measure out where the Velcro should be put.

Good news- I can put chalk after trying it on at home.

Bad news- chances are, you won't be working on my costume if I'm not there.

Good news-

Whoops. Slipped into a pattern there.

That's my predicament. Any suggestions, or should I just plan to see you guys next at the picnic (which I'll do anyways, but any suggestions of what to do while I'm not there)?
  3. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    ok, the costume workshop is still on. Its going to be at fayetteville library which has moved.
    The new library is at 300 orchard st in fayetteville.
    its only open from 10-2 pm so we need to be there on time.

I am bringing the sewing machine and I have some jedi fabric about 10 yards available for anyone who needs to purchase it at that time.
    Does anyone need any muslin?
    If you need a specific color or fabric pm me so I can have it there for you.

See everyone there.
  4. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would like a Jedi outfit, but don't know what it requires. I'm also not up much on sewing terms. I don't know what muslin is. I don't really have much of an idea of how much 10 yards of material is. If you think I should bring specific material, let me know. My plan is to look for a sewing machine with my daughter on Thursday. I plan to bring both it and her on Saturday, although it appears Arjuna won't be there. I can look for material on Thursday if I know what to get.

(Help!)
  5. Darth_Vishnu Jedi Master

star 1
    Andy and my self still need wool =/.........
  6. Jaysar_CidfeJK Jedi Padawan

I will be there. I'll be bringin my Vader costume so if anyone has any ideas for it they are gladly welcome. See you on Saturday! :)
  7. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I have a ton of material if anyone wants to PM me regarding specifics :)
  8. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Does anyone need any help with prop building apart from sabers?
  9. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I will take any help offered tomorrow, that I have time for. I plan on bringing a bin I started that has lots of unusual shape miscellaneous parts.
  10. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings

I'm the SCJ newest member. I came to the last two meetings (lasertag and the costume workshop)

As for how the workshop went.....welllll....I'll leave it up to someone else to try and explain it :D
  11. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sounds like you guys had a blast. Man, you really had me going, telling me it was a workshop! Could've fooled me ?[face_plain]

Lol... well, just the same, sorry I couldn't make it.
  12. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well....we could have accomplished more, but there was a bit of confusion. However, we had lunch and enjoyable conversations. Then after filling our bellies we got down to some general creative thinking and planning. I accomplished a bit toward getting a costume and we made plans for the next meeting. Unless things change, the next meeting probably will be in two weeks (7/26) at 12:00, since there were snags in getting a place for the picnic that date. However, I'll let Strawbary tell more about that when she gets the chance.

Also, us seasoned veterans of the Salt City Jedi (OK, so I've been a member about a month) got to meet a couple of new members. they are not on theforce.net yet, but I expect they will be soon.
  13. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    (This is Raef_Wolfe useing her fathers account :p)

Dad's tunic is almost done, jsut got 2 more things to do on it. Mine is almost done as well. Maybe if they're finished (95% chance they will be) by saturday I'll wear mine and try and force dad to wear his :) I'll also be returning your pattern to you, Karate.
  14. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As far as I understand it, costumes aren't for regular meetings (was the first thing I asked for our first meeting). They're for conventions and special occasions. Wouldn't want to get food all over your tunic, now, would you?
  15. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Raef_Wolfe

The pattern was a gift. So, you can use it as many times as you like. I have another one for my next costume.
  16. Padawan_Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you, Karate. I already knew that, but apparently Raef didn't. I may save it to use again, or I may decide the best way to use a gift when you are done with it is to gift it to another. Giving things goes a long way toward friendship and trust (as you have demonstrated).

I believe Arjuna was right though, my understanding is that costumes are not for general meetings. Incidentally, the way it looks now is that Raef and myself will be at the 7/26 meeting. Arjuna may be working again. I am not sure about Vishnu.
  17. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh *stupid grin* Ooooooooops :p

Well, thankies!!!
  18. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I thought the workshop was fine. Everyone has to remember that when you go to any event you need to "check in" to find out where you need to go. ;)

We met a few members and they got alot of great ideas for costumes and we went over patterns and material.
    The next workshop can be getting more "sewn" however, workshops can be whatever, sewing, ideas, etc......

I think alot more was accomplished than everyone thinks ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.