main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Costumes for CIII

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BonMothma, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I'd like to write a monthly "costume progress" article for our website between now and CIII, since I know a number of us are working on costumes. Please PM me with some details as to your progress.

Also, please post here what costumes you're planning to wear to CIII.

I'll be bringing my "Patriotic Slave Leia" t-shirt, and my (hopefully) finished Luminara costume. I also plan to bring my Galadriel Grey Havens cape and put it with something else to make me look like a Republic dignitary.

2. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I only have 1 costume thaT's my jedi costume.

3. studioscarab

studioscarab Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2005
    I am looking for a jedi style costume myself, something high quality and not flimsy like the costume stores. Does anyone know where I can look to buy some quality jedi style robes, as I don't have time to make my own. I want to create a new jedi character for myself, as I can do my own make-up and prosthetics, but want buy the robes.

I will be a vendor/artist at CIII, but need a costume I can create artwork in for fans, and can't wear a heavy mask/helmet.

thanks

M. Moore
    Officially Licensed StarWars Artist
    http://www.mavarts.com/starwars.htm
    email - mavmktg@qadas.com

4. Darth_Vindicus

Darth_Vindicus Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2005
    You and me both, I need a quality costume as well. I know exactly what I want so if anyone is willing to make one for some extra money hit me up!

5. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    If no one volunteers, your best bet is to look for a local seamstress and have them make it for you. You won't find anything commercially made worth paying for, as far as I'm aware.

I have a seamstress I will be using, but she's located in Mercer county PA. I don't know where you are from, but I doubt that she's local for you.

Buy your own pattern, take it to the seamstress, and have them tell you how much fabric to buy (it makes a difference how wide the bolt as to how many yards you'll need - make sure you know for each width), then go and buy the fabric yourself, too. Then you'll be more in control of the end result.

6. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I didn't want to do anything from the films, so I got to thinking, what kind of average SW citizen could I be? My first thought was swoop courier (bike messenger). But then it hit me!
    Hyperdrive repair man! :)
    I found a site that makes replica tools (fusion cutter, hydrospanner) and so it was decided. I'm also making some business cards which I plan to hand out to any Solo's I see ;)
    btw, if anyone's got any nifty thoughts for the name of a hyperdrive repair place, let me know! Still haven't found "it" yet.

7. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    As of right now, I'm going as "Poor Fan Boy." I know I have a costume of sorts that I wore for the Science Center, but I'm not sure that I'm happy enough with it to take it to C3. But if I manage to have some money, or spare time, or motivation, I might make a costume. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

8. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    I like the hyperdrive repairman idea. I'm at a loss for a clever name, though. Geez, it took me long enough to come up with "BonMothma," which should have been a no-brainer.

I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

9. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I'll be rockin' in my jedi costume (Qui-Gon) for C3!
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Childrens/P9010007.jpg]

It's starting to look like $ (or the lack of) will postpone my TIE pilot until AFTER that weekend :(

10. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Heh, I was trying to work out something cutesy-acronymy but gave up on that as it would take up too much space on the business card :)
    I think I'm going with Hyper-Tech. Not very flashy but to the point.

Hyper-Tech
    Service*Parts*Repairs
    & Mynock Removal
    Visit our new location! Bespin-Level 143-Port Town

Here's a patch I did up to iron-on to my work shirt.

11. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Dex, that idea is so cool and original! I love it. Also think the patch for a work shirt is awesome.

12. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Excellent job Dex. I'd like a business card when you get them done.

13. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Thanks guys :) I really wanted to do something original for my costume, the problem is not being "canon" it won't be instantly recognized as SW, but I'm trying my best! The Dark Lord's in the details..or something like that.
    I'll be posting the finished business card someplace once I settle on it. Who knows, maybe I'll toss out a couple variations and get some input!
    How would you imagine a phone/holonet number would appear? I was thinking like the old phone extentions, like Coruscant-3271138.

14. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    That's kind of cool. It sounds old fashioned in a high tech world, but I think it's conceivable with protocol droid operators. In that universe, you'd have the operator connect your call.

15. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    After much tweaking and mind changing I present the (as of this second) final version of my business card.

CLICK!

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Nice job DEX. I especially like the number chosen for Coruscant. Dianoga anyone???

17. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Hehe. All the numbers have some significance in the OT somewhere. It's just the other 2 are combined.
    232187 - Leias cell block AA23, cell 2187
    1138327 - 1138 (duh ;)) 327 various docking places for the Falcon (Death Star & Bespin)
    Come to think of it, I should switch that one so it is Bespin lol

18. Darth_Gohan

Darth_Gohan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2000
    Ok ive been looking into really overhauling my entire costume... is there any offical patterns out there or do i have to settle with a generic pattern... any good sugguestions?

19. Akar

Akar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    For anyone interested, I would be willing to make a few Jedi costumes for those needing them. I like to keep them ""authentic" and affordable. If youre interested, pm and I'll show what I can do.

20. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    Not much progress to report on my costume. Anyone else?

Nancy did do a mock-up of Luminara's robe for me. I went to see it last night. Looks like she's on the right track. When I discussed it on the phone yesterday, she said she'd had it on. Picture Jocasta Nu (SP?) with glasses and black hair. :)

I plan to work on the headdress this weekend.

21. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Why I just happened to post today in the Boston thread!

Datapad
    Formerly a Speak N Math toy. Readout needs to be redone, not happy with the way the writing looks on it, need to get it to "pop" more.

Welding Goggles
    Got from Army Surplus store. Lenses tinted with green "window chalk". Also painted rims around lenses. Can't actually see through them, but their not for wearing and walking around anyway :)

My "purse"
    Same surplus store. Needed something to put my cash & camera in to fit in with costume, took an instant liking to it. Distressed bottom with sandpaper, still need to do little more on the leather straps. Maybe "grease" the bottom too.

Random Stuff
    Top Left: Very bad droid caller got on Ebay years ago. Not bad as a random doodad.
    Top Right: Pair of "fecalizers" gotten from the vet's office. It's a container to put your pets poo in when you go to the vet! But don't they look cool painted? Need to find someway to get them on the costume.
    Bottom: Mynock Repllent Sprayer. Grey & black parts were a Beyblade top launcher. Need to make a label for the grey cannister. The nozzle is the other half of the fecalizer. You stick this part in the poo and put it in the container. More than you need to know, but just goes to show you can find neat stuff everywhere :)

Tool Pouch
    From Home Depot, brand new. Logo will be covered with a Hyperdrive Engineer union sticker. Lots of weathering done with sandpaper. The tools (L-R) headset phone jack "borrowed" from work, dollar store fm radio/flashlight (using it as flashlight), and a painted marker topped with the other fecalizer nozzle. Need to find a couple more things to fill in the empty spots. Hoping (but not holding my breath) the tools I ordered might actually fit in the outside loops.

22. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    Very cool, Dex! You have the freedom to be more creative when you're not trying to copy something that already exists. You have a great imagination!

The only thing I've happened upon by chance that I bought for Luminara is a wide, heavy vinyl belt that will be the foundation for my utility belt. Salvation Army - $2.

As one who usually carries everthing but the kitchen sink, I will have to get everything I want with me into pouches on the belt without it looking and feeling too cumbersome!

23. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Nice Job Dex. I can't wait to see the finished costume.

24. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Good Job! I'd love to have a t-shirt with that logo on it. Maybe after CIII you would be willing to give me permission to make one?

25. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    great job Dex! I haven't done much with my Barriss costume yet...and i'm still looking for a third costume, but i think i ought to get Barriss's done first, huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.