Edmonton Costumes for Next Halloween

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I guess I'd better get those snaps on. (adds to list) :p

Well I'm starting to get somewhere on that list. Kit's armbands are almost done. Ended up all the way on "plan D" with them [face_hypnotized] . The head piece just needs some accent paint and it's done. All the cloth is done, but her hair is giving me masive grief and I can't exactly scrap it.

Mine needs belt pouches, holster/gun, and I haven't decided what to do about a shirt yet. I suspect I'll be making one last minute just because I may want to take the poncho off at some point.

2. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    grr the twisty hair bit does not want to co-operate
  3. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wow! Congrats Liann!

I'm almost done both too. Should be done or pretty much done both tonight. I already finished the Jawa, except for getting the lights for the eyes working. Not sure when I'll wear it this weekend.
  4. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    can't wait to see them all :)

5. Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Cool, everyone's projects are all coming together! Liann the dress looks fantabulous!

The hem on my skirt is almost done, for sure done tonight. I brought it to work to work on and my manager's not here so I thought I would get lots done and I run out of thread. I only brought the bobbin, not the actual spool so that sucks. But I'm about 1/2 way done it.

Put the grommets in the cincher this morning, laced it and tried it on and it looks good. I'm very pleased with how my pirate is coming together. Once again, thanks for your help Liann. :) The frog came yesterday but I'm a little confused with how it goes on my belt . . . Oh and I need to get a 'pirate' style necklace. I'm gonna run to the Ardene's in Westmount to get one, they should have something for cheap.

Just got Chris's shirt to finish. I like how I make sure all my stuff is done first before I work on his. :p
  6. DARK_PADAWAN Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I just got my belt dyed so I can finnaly finnish it tomarrow. Yay!
  7. Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    cool, I still at some point have to get straps for my bootgaurds and then the armor should be all good

8. Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Alrighty, daily update.

Skirt - done

Cincher - done

Shirt - have to sew sides together, put sleeves in, put grommets in and hem and then it is done.
  9. DARK_PADAWAN Jedi Youngling

star 3
    YES!!! Finally done my belt! I just gotta polish it up then it'll look good. I'll bring it to Lianns tomarrow night just in case anyone wants to see it.
  10. Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes, of course we want to see it. :)

I got the sleeves gathered and put in the shirt and the sides sewn shut. Need to put in grommets, hem it and the cuffs call for button holes. :S I'm bringing it tonight to finish off. Also have to make straps for boots.
  11. geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Connor, bring the whole thing, let's do a test run and see if we have to sneak in a waistband. Bring the fabric too.

Well, my big black cloud came back. I went to check the length on a hem and the buckle on the belt broke. (but on plus side, the piece that broke off looked a lot like the piece I was trying to mold for the gun so I just used that. :p )Then while assembling all the bits on the gun, one big piece broke. Even though I made sure it was cured and cooled on the same sized dowel (literally the same damned piece of wood) it was still a tiny bit too small and snapped. Really wish polymer clay wasn't so brittle. :mad: Moment of truth will be when I prime the whole thing, hopefully it won't look like a bunch of different things glued together. [face_praying]

12. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I just have to handsew the facing to the zipper on Paula's dress and re-lace my top and I'm good to go! Oh...and the dreaded thread snipping. I hate that part.....
  13. Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm bringing my pirate to Liann's tonight so give it a test look.
  14. DARK_PADAWAN Jedi Youngling

star 3
  15. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I need to pick your brains, ladies.....

I'm working on a non Star Wars costume and the fabric main part of the costume is a stretch fabric of some kind but not a standard lycra. The costume is fitted and clearly has stretch to it but it's not skin tight. Stretch denim would be the same sort of idea but likely it's something not as thick as that. Anyone got any ideas of what would work? I need it to be a dark midnight/navy blue - the kind that in some shots you think...hmmmm....maybe it's black no wait....that's definitely dark blue...hmmm.....but there it looks like it's black again...ummmmm [face_hypnotized]
  16. geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    LOL, ah, the elusive "what the heck colour is that?" problem. :p
    They have a lot of stretch twills around in various weights and colours, some quite light. Also there are a few stretch poplins out right now for blouses, I don't remember seeing them in darker colours though, they might be too thin as well. Maybe a knit? It would have the stretch and some weight. Like a pair of leggings, tight but not spayed on. Without seeing the costume, I think a light stretch twill would be your best bet.
  17. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The only drawback to the twill would be that texture thing twill always has goin' on. But.....certainly it would be a better choice than others. Keep your eyes peeled ladies....dark blue...errr..black...I mean blue..yeah...blue.....hahaha
  18. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Okay...here's the next issue.....I need to make a couple of wigs. One is going to need a lot of hair added in to it....in dreads to be specific. I've found tutorials on how to make the dreads....but I don't know how to attach them in to a wig. The second involves a bald cap. Does anyone know how to add hair to one of those??
  19. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    could you sew the dreads onto the wig, or turn a wig into dread locks, not to hard to do, we did shannas
  20. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Definitely the wig will be part of the dreads....but I don't think it will be full enough to be able to make enough of the dreads. That's a whole lotta hair. I'm thinking that the wig hair would be able to do the bottom layer of loose dreads and the top layer ones piled on top and then fill in with the extra dreads.
  21. BFett333 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Angela needs a major fabric shopping trip with lots of help and advice. Anyone up for that any time soon?
  22. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
  23. ms_ventress Jedi Youngling

star 3
  24. geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *Sigh* One day I'll find something when I'm actually looking for it. :rolleyes: I found the grey wool I lost. And here, I'd accepted not having a new skirt and bought one for Kit. :p It was for some unknown reason in a box of books along with some caramel satin and Kit's Miney Mouse poke-a-dots. I was actually looking for something to make a surcote for Kit. Quick! Someone give me something else to look for.

I could be up to a shopping run, anything to get out of manual labour. :p
  25. liannb Jedi Knight

star 5
    yay you found it finally
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.