main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Costumes in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Because the only thread about this topic was closed for some reason, I thought I'd post a new one about the costumes in the ST. What do you think we'll see and what do you hope to see in terms of costume design? How will the OT characters dress this time out? How do you think "fashion" has evolved in the GFFA in the 30 years after Jedi? Some thoughts...

-It's probably safe to say Han will wear some version of the black vest/jacket over a white shirt, as he has for every movie.
    -While it might seem natural for Luke to be wearing traditional Jedi robes, I like the idea that Luke creates his own new Jedi Order, and that should be reflected in his costume. Perhaps he's got grey robes, representing the mixture of light and dark?
    -I'd like to see some Flash Gordon-esque costumes like in McQuarrie's original concepts...

[​IMG]

Baron_Papanerd and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I hope that some discussion on costume design is allowed, its so much of what SW is about and not some 70's sci-fi film were thet wear silverfoil suits.

Baron_Papanerd and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  3. Indy 11

Indy 11 Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    I would like them to take the costume vibe from the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryus and Abadacus like this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    A thread on costuming is certainly allowed. All the other threads on the topic are locked because they were posted before we switched to Spoilers Allowed/No Spoilers Allowed format and therefore are archived.

We know that Michael Kaplin is doing the costumes, he did them for ST: Into Darkness, Fight Club, Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol, among others. I honestly loved the costumes in Into Darkness, that was the first thing I said to my friend I was watching the movie with, so I was super excited to hear he was doing E7.

5. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    And his first movie was Blade Runner, quite a debut I love the costumes of that movie. I also liked his vintage but updated Starfleet uniforms in JJ's Star Trek. It will be interesting to see how he will approach the new Jedi costumes and also the sith/imperial uniforms.

6. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    What little we've seen so far in the Abu Dhabi photos was pretty typical Star Wars desert wear but with a lot of small chest plates like you see in the McQuarrie painting. Based on that and the McQuarrie inspired architecture, I'm guessing that the McQuarrie aesthetic is going to be strong throughout the film and may be an influence on the costumes.

7. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Ok um....early predictions. They'll all wear clothes (hopefully). Daisy will probably wear all white since that seems to be the tradition. The villain will probably wear all black and the hero will probably wear a lighter color *brown, beige or white* . Just some captian obvious predictions

8. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Great topic! I love costume design, and Star Wars costumes especially.

I imagine the aesthetic for the ST will be closer to the OT than the PT. The galaxy probably won't be a huge, grand republic, but still in rebuilding mode, leading to simpler, more practical costumes.

I really liked his take on the Trek uniforms too. I'm looking forward to what his does with Star Wars.

CairnsTony and vinsanity like this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I personally hope that they mix it up a bit... We have to have development/evolvement (IMHO). I think the costumes of the OT were obviously great and the PT did an excellent job of deconstructing the OT standard and dressing the characters as if they were in a SW period costume. I’d obviously like to see the costumes reflecting a different time in the ST. I really hope they don’t put Ford in tight pants (leave that to the young-uns) and a vest top, just as I hope they don’t put Leia in something skimpy or representing chastity. I’d also like to see Luke in an evolved version of Obi-Wan’s Jedi garb... I think most of us would like to see Luke in his formal Jedi attire after all these years.

In terms of the villains... again, I think the PT did a great job of deconstructing the armour of stromtroopers... to the point that they became their own thing and established their own clone iconography. So something similar in the ST would be good. If we have Stormtroopers, let them be red, black or grey with translucent eye pieces... whatever, just something different to move the concepts along from what’s already been established.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think a mix of both pt, ot and many new styles would work.

11. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I'll be a broken record here and say I hope they ditch the Jedi robes. We had three films of them - time to move on. Luke didn't ware them at all and probably never should.

12. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

How about a Jedi Yukata. That would be awesome.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a more modern take on a Jedi robe. I'd say that the brown garb of Obi-Wan is quite iconic and is certianly quite recognisable as a 'Jedi'. If you bring back the Jedi, I think one also has to bring back the imagery... albeit modified/updated.

Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  14. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    If the new stormtrooper report on Making Star Wars is correct, this is exactly what they're doing:

"Yep, Stormtroopers are back in Star Wars: Episode VII. These Stormtroopers are not the Stormtroopers you saw in A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. They are slightly altered in their general dimensions. Various sources have described them as more “modern,” while two others called them more “advanced” looking."

Considering the evolved X-Wing we saw in the set photos, this would make sense. A similar, but more modernized version of stormtrooper armor.

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I thought the Star Fleet uniforms from JJ's ST films were 'interesting' but then i'm a fan of the uniforms from ST:TWoK up to ST:TUC, i really didn't like the caps though.

If the Jedi are on assignment i couldn't understand why they wore the traditional robes, they weren't fit for purpose for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the Gungan water world. And in virtually every lightsabre dual the first thing the Jedi does is drop the big outer robe.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Luke wore a black robe in Jabba's palace, but ditched it for the rest of the movie. I think an updated "Jedi look" would be cool, but not necessarily getting rid of the "robe" look completely. Kinda depends too on how many Jedi there actually are. If there's hundreds, then I would think there'd be more of a standard Jedi costume. But if there are only a dozen or so Jedi, then each may choose their own look, which opens up interesting possibilities.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep - it's an obvious, but welcome step in making an imperial tech/armour look 'next gen'. :)

I think it would be fitting, and in keeping, to keep the Jedi with a look of a samurai. I think it was that aesthetic which drove that particular choice rather than functionality per se... which turned out to be a rather cumbersome costume. Still, at least it was more functional than ole' Ben Kenobi's skirt like outfit. ;)

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Something that's a mix of the clothing styles of the PT and the OT.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Darth PJ like this.
  19. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    PLEASE NO
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [face_sick]

20. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Would make for one interesting movie if they weren't wearing clothes. [face_laugh]

Dak Oolron and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  21. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Nude Wars

22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If I had to think of a single gripe about the costumes in Star Trek Into Darkness, it's that there were frankly too many variations of Starfleet uniform, some of them having little to nothing to do with Starfleet as I understand it and some of them not appearing to have any useful function that justifies their inclusion. For instance, all the peaked officer caps; granted, if you squint, you can see one of them in the background of Captain Pike's quarters in the original pilot "The Cage," so there's a precedent for it, but there's a reason they were never used on the actual show; they just don't look right. And they CERTAINLY don't right on Spock; pointy caps and pointy ears just clash. Even if we ignore the whole straight-up-Roddenberry-no-chaser explanation that Starfleet isn't exactly a military organization to begin with, there's still the fact that they look stupid and out of place.

And does there have to be a different kind of Starfleet uniform for every environment under the sun? Bones and Carol go down to a planet to work on a torpedo, but to do that, they apparently need to change out of their perfectly-good TOS uniforms into a grey uniform that seems to offer no protection from the torpedo, the elements, or anything else. They couldn't wear the usual colored shirt and black pants for this? If they had to change at all, make it a spacesuit or something else that would justify the costume change in story terms (thin atmosphere, toxic atmosphere, etc.). The only time people ever wear the actual TOS suit in these new movies seems to be when they're on the ship only (and for that matter, only on the Enterprise; I can't recall another crew of another starship - the Kelvin, the Vengeance, or any other - shown wearing them); they never seem to wear them for away missions, never wear them (or even a recognizable dress version of them) for Starfleet staff conferences, never wear them for ANY reason (unless Spock is in a hurry to go down to Earth to beat Khan's ass, which is SO how Spock acts...).

I'd almost understand it if they then marketed a whole bunch of action figures with uniform variants, but they didn't. And even if they did, that's NEVER a sufficiently justifiable explanation for why they went with that approach - I said I'd ALMOST understand it, not that I'd approve of it.

But of course, Star Wars: Episode VII is NOT Star Trek Into Darkness, and whatever didn't work out so well for that film could be the very thing that makes Episode VII work. All the repetition of situations that we pooh-poohed in STID, for instance (with different characters doing practically the exact same things that were done in previous movies) are not only welcome in Star Wars; they're kind of obligatory. The costumes should be no exception; variety in costuming can work there, depending on the character and story situation. If said character has a story reason to need them, such as a political or formal occasion like a ball, a royal court or Senate function, or some such, the elaborate costumes of the PT probably ought to be there. If the situation calls for simpler costumes for a simpler blue-collar situation or character, the OT costume approach will do the trick.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I don't want to see Han in his vest again. I mean, 30 years and still wearing the same thing? I see him wearing something dark and leather on top, with pants with the blood stripe. Maybe.

24. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    When it comes to costumes in the Star Wars universe, my advice is; keep it simple--particularly the main characters. I love the costumes in TESB. They're functional. Nothing too bright or elaborate. That's what I'd be aiming for here.

25. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Personally I like the Jedi robes; since Obi-Wan Kenobi in ANH, they have been the tradition. I even like the way they look, with the Jedi and Sith wearing them during a lightsaber duel. One of my favorite moments in the PT was the short duel on Tatooine between Qui-Gonn Jin and Darth Maul; in which they were both wearing their robes. I thought it gave the duel an epic look, even though it only lasted about a minute. I liked the way Darth Maul's robes flowed out when he spun around.

I wouldn't mind a mind a new variation on the Jedi robes though. It might look cool to see a Jedi in green robe, like Bob. :p

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.