main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Costumes in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    If the rumor about the trooper helmet is to be believed, it might look like a cross between the Cylon concept and an early Boba Fett concept (below).

[​IMG]

Iron_lord and dyous87 like this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it depends on how imperials were to be portrayed in Ep VII. If it's a remnant... if they are on there knees... then I'd expect their hardware to not have been updated much. If they are in league with Sith, or other, I'd expect their hardware/costumes to be a bit fusion.

Django Fett likes this.
  3. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

I want each Jedi character to have their own unique wardrobe that reflects their style and personality. Something practical for moving around and fighting at the drop of a hat. I'd rather not see Jedi having to stop what they're doing to disrobe before a lightsaber fight.

darklordoftech, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Yes, this is the key. They need a full wardrobe with different clothing for different missions. The old jedi robes were cool for walking and negotiation but sucked for fighting and swimming. Everyone needs several costumes and armor sets.

5. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    If I got my wish, we'd see Jedi wearing stuff more akin to what Luke wore in Empire, or Jedi (minus the weird robe/vest thing he wore on Tatooine/Dagobah in the film). At least when they are on missions. Basically stuff more suited for combat.

6. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Yep. Qui-Gon Booze and Obi-Wan get a pass since they went to the Neimoidians to negotiate and for that, Jedi robes are cool. QG actually took a poncho for Tatooine showing that he has some common sense but still, when they decided to go home with Amidala to Naboo and fight a war(and Maul) they still did not grab a battle suit despite the fact that they were in the Jedi Temple the whole time.

7. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Pilot costume!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's similar overall to the OT look, of course, but the modified/evolved helmet is interesting. Also, this guy is wearing what looks to be normal work boots, not the shiny black boots of the OT. I wonder if that's part of the costume too, or he was just some crew guy they threw in the suit quickly to film this video.

8. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Niiice. Didn't knew we had new content. A new costume and a new look at the X-Wing.

9. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I hope they have a variety of stormtrooper armor in the movie, or something different for each movie.

10. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    Nice catch.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No prequel Jedi/desert Obi-Wan robes! When I see those, I think "Tatooinian", not "Jedi". To call them "Jedi robes" is prequel revisionism. I also don't want to see Sidious/TPM Maul robes for Sith.
    Thank you Sgt and Luminous! This is exactly how I feel! Jedi and Sith shouldn't be conformists who think they're on Tatooine and have to disrobe in order to fight.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I do like the evolution of the pilot costume - it really looks sharp. I also noticed the lack of the high 'goose-stepper' boots as well and I'm wondering if that will be a trend going forward? Maybe we'll see less of that sort of thing? The new footwear on the pilot does a look a bit more modern.

Of course, I'm only thinking out loud here, so maybe I'm over-analyzing it. :p

Hitchhiking-Ghost and TooMuchBBQ like this.
  13. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I think that's pretty much the last part, probably some guy who donned the costume and helmet for the video.

14. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Agreed, I don't want to just replicate the previous movies or disregard.

15. Darth Drangus

Darth Drangus Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2014
    I expect we'll see designs more reminiscent of the original concept art for ANH. Fewer robes, more capes. More tight-fitting "sci-fi" looking stuff and less Roman Empire/Shaolin Monk stuff. I also hope we see Jedi carry blasters this time around. Sometimes it just helps to have one by your side. Overall I think the costumes will simply look like they have some utility. I expect to see more gadgets/buttons/knobs/tubes/etc. like the OT as opposed to the PT where the costumes looked like, well, costumes.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

As opposed to what?o_O

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Well, one thing that I did like about the PT costumes, as overblown and impractical as they were at times, is that they had a genuine sense of imagination behind their designs. They are far from generic or unmemorable. I'd be really saddened it the ST's costumes went too far in the other direction and gave us costumes that are bland or uninspired, or all varying shades of brown and grey. Hopefully they can strike a balance. Keep the bold, vibrant quality of the PT, but done with a more utilitarian design ethic (cause let's be honest, some of those senator outfits were cool as works of art but ultimately just ridiculous)

I love the costume design in the original Knights of the Old Republic games... some of them had kind of a throwback/OT feel, but they weren't afraid to be colorful or new either, while never going so overboard as to make something that nobody would ever realistically wear.

Adi_Gallia_9 likes this.
  18. Darth Drangus

Darth Drangus Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2014

What I mean is that the costumes in the PT just looked too perfect and suited for each set piece. The OT outfits were more practical, and they showed their wear. You could understand why the characters wore what they wore and how the story took a toll on them and their gear.

To me it just seemed like almost every frame in the PT was a photo shoot. Maybe it was all of Padme's over-the-top ridiculous costumes. I mean in Episode I she had light bulbs in the bottom of her gown and Geisha make-up... At any rate I think we can expect fewer costume changes, more visible wear on the outfits, and gear with practical uses/reasons for being.

TK327 likes this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

All those "ridiculous" costumes did serve a purpose. Opulent, over the top, expensive, etc. - that was the point.

And as Han Burgundy pointed out - genuine imagination.

Kaplain can't lose that concept.

Sensible clothing is all well and good, but don't forget this is a fantasy -the most important thing is imagination.

Andy Wylde and Darth PJ like this.
  20. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Reason number four why I never like those three movies: the ugly costumes. [face_sick]
    The only one I actually like was Padma's desert outfit in TPM. I really hope they stick closer to the Star Wars and ROTJ look, especially for Luke. The black outfit was not only simple but utilitarian and something someone who was on a mission to do something useful would wear.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The costume design in the PT was brilliant (IMHO), but I see no reason why that particular aesthetic will be revisited for the ST. The costumes in the PT were designed to specifically reflect an aesthetic of period dress. The ST will be looking forward... but as others have said, they should still look to design costumes that are unique to the ST.

22. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    How about something as iconic as Leia's salve costume? I mean it has been part of the every boy's imagination since they saw it, why not something like that again to set.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that may be considered a bit sexist for a SW movie now.

Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  24. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    For anyone thinking that Obiwan's brown desert robes turning out to be typical jedi robes was "prequel revisionnism", I'ld like to point the fact that Anakin's ghost in Return of the jedi also wore the exact same robes. So that's the jedi classical look since then, like it or not.

25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Excellant point. ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.