main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Costumes in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Couldn't Anakin be from Tatooine? And more importantly, even if there was a scene in the 1983 version of ROTJ in which Obi-Wan pointed to his Tatooinian robe and said, "This is the Jedi uniform", the Jedi shouldn't have to wear that post-ROTJ.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep... Obi-Wan's robes were established as the attire of Jedi in the OT (Yoda wearing something similar too), but as darklordoftech states, it doesn't have to mean that this attire will be worn by future Jedi (Luke certainly didn't feel the need to).

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I'd like to see the Jedi and Sith wear Jal Shey style armor from KOTOR. Light, strong, and designed for Force users during combat. Wont happen but would be cool to see.

4. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Yoda did have Tatooine robes so it wasnt quite prequel revisionism, yet much like alot of stuff in the prequels (such as Yoda himself), it was a case of putting in fanservicy stuff where it doesn't belong. Those robes didnt fit in with the decadent senate palace. They should have come up with a different outfit

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I actually figured what Luke wore in Jedi was his attempt at keeping Jedi tradition but more fitting for the militaristic times he was in. If we look at the over tunic Obi-Wan has in the prequels, particularly Phantom Menace, it's almost exactly what Luke wears over his black outfit. Also call it prequel revisionism if you want but I disagree, Vader can be used as an argument otherwise, did he not also wear similar robes over his armour.

"The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion." Tarkin

[​IMG]

I'm hoping any Jedi we get in the sequels will carry this on, visually they should harken back for continuity in small elements but be far more in keeping with the times they are in.

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Of course they didn't suit "the decadent senate palace" - they weren't supposed to, they are Jedi robes.

Andy Wylde and Darth PJ like this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    great pick.

I'll point out one thing though. Luke's tunic and stole above is more like a vest version of what Ben wore in ANH. The PT Jedi had tabards over the tunic, not a stole.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm hoping for a lot of new creations and especially a more military uniforms.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I hear ya. She looks hot in that getup. Every time I see her in that I just want to *umh*. [bites knuckle]

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I hope there different types of stormtrooper armour (deep sea, space suits, jungle, etc) and that the regular armour isn't just the classic all-white look (there should be markings, squad customisation, back packs, etc., sq - not the same as the clones but something different)

I'm hoping for spacewalk/fight on the hull of ship and Chewie in a EV suit.

And, as much as I want Han in a cowboy/Indiana Jones fist fight, Han is not Indiana Jones - having him still wear the black vest would be like Indy with the hat and jacket. So no to that.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I hope the "Alliance" army doesn't wear full body armour. I love the Clone armour and stormtrooper armour, but it is time for a change. Something like these -

[​IMG]

The guy in the middle - but not the huge helmet ;)

[​IMG]

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This is a fantastic picture, thanks for posting it.

Personally I can't wait to see the costumes for Luke and Han in the ST. I clearly remember the buzz of seeing Lukes costume for Jedi when pictures were released. I thought it was amazing that he was wearing black in the film as I never expected that in a million years, yet it does still have elements of the traidtional Jedi costume to it.

darklordoftech, T-R- and Darth PJ like this.
  13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The black tunic with wool surcoat is the signature outfit for Luke, it shows he's matured and reflects his heritage. Why or how he still would be wearing it 30 years later issomething else but i'd love to see Luke still wearing that style.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The ST should have a progression in look for most characters. I like what we have been shown so far with the updated Alliance pilot look and the stormtrooper design. I think the Jedi characters should harken back to the PT look but not be exact.(In the EU books they have covers were Luke is wearing Obi-wan type robes over the black outift instead of the stole and I do not like that look. Luke's ROTJ costume was supposed to remind people of a priest, He just needs one of those white things they were as a collar in the above pic to complete that look. I would also like to see the new jedi characters start off with unique outfits but get closer to Luke's look as the films go on while still retaining their own style. One thing I like about the PT Jedi is outside of Qui-gon, Mace, Obi-wan and Yoda, you did see cultural variation among them. Even Anakin has a slightly different style, where as the other main jedi were wool he has a leather tabard over his shirt.( old EU had a great explaination for this, Anakin orginially had standard robes like obi-wan as seen at the end of TPM, but kept getting them covered in grime and grease from tinkering with droids, ships, ect. and Obi-wan got tired of him being covered in stains).

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They're all going to be naked.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ironically, when he was blasted by the Emperor, the front of his tunic came unbuttoned and a white flap came down. That only reinforces the "priest" image you're talking about, I think.

[​IMG]

Wait, really? I don't recall ever reading that. What was the source?

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode 7 costume designer Michael Kaplan talking about how he designed the outfits for "Into Darkness", and movie that he and director JJ Abrams worked on. Somewhat relevant! (To see as to how his thought and creative process works when working within an established universe framework.)

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Nice link. Relevant to note how his thoughts about an existing universe and especially relevant with Star Wars when we know aside from the existing movies he would've come into the team with a massive amount of concept work already have been done alongside the script. Here's me about to wander a bit but It's interesting how costume design has changed on big big tentpole movies, how it used to be almost a singular vision of the costume designer and director and now the general look of a film is almost entirely nailed down by a team of concept artists before a costume and production designer are even brought on board, with the designer there to solidify, unify, refine and make it happen. I wonder how much Lucas and Mcquarrie influenced this style of working? (note that's not to downplay either side, I'm a production designer and concept artist so have my finger in both pies and see the benefit of both styles of working :) )

Sooooooo anyhoo, someone over in the Daisy Ridley Thread mentioned how the description of her costume almost entirely matches Padmes Tatooine Phantom Menace garb which was concepted by McCaig. Based on his massive contribution to the prequel costumes (especially Padme) I can almost guarantee it's Iain McCaig that has taken charge of concepting Ridleys character too so figured it might be cool to have a look through some of his Padme work for clues or at least what direction it could take.

Here's a few images courtesy of royalhandmaidenscociety.org
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I 'm pretty sure it was the Jude Watson novels YA novels set between TPM and AOTC. He starts out where the light colored robes but by the time they confront Granta Omega he is wearing what we see in AOTC with the leather tabard.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ah, that explains it. I only read the first few books in that series.

21. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Is it unusual for a production like this, where we are already a good way through the filming, that no official photos have been released of any characters in costume yet, not even minor background characters who have no major bearing on the plot?

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Conversation in the Daisy Ridley thread inspired me to revive this thread–since September we've seen the costumes of pretty much every lead character in the movie, so this thread should be useful now.

Flapjack4 likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Right now, Kylo and Phasma's costumes are the standouts for me. Looking forward to seeing Luke and Leia's costumes and much more.

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm obsessed with Finn's jacket, and I'll probably fork over an arm and a leg to own it. That's all I really have to contribute.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Finn's jacket is my favorite costume bit too, probably because it's so understated, but Kylo Ren and Phasma are absolutely outstanding designs and Rey's gear is wonderful too. Poe's is...well, it's an X-wing pilot's outfit, but even it has some different touches than the OT getup and I love that they added the little "pull to inflate" logo. His helmet is cool, too.

PymParticles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.