main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costumes 'n stuff..

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Jedi_Junkie, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Hello! This is just a place for us to chit-chat about the costumes we've made, bought, seen, want to make, tried to make, or whatever costume related thing we can come up with. I thought of it while I was pittering around a site, I said to myself : "Now, Sarah, that board is absurdly boring.. No one ever talks about much of anything." -- I'm so nice when I'm all by myself, aren't I? *chuckle*. Well, anywho.. I then remembered the dude (Jacob, I think? I'm so bad with names! >_<) at the second meeting saying something about having costumes, and I thought it might be something we all can talk about. I personally have never made a costume, but I do have plans to attempt a jedi ensemble if I get the chance.

EDIT by Krash: playing dress up again? ;)

2. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Ok, well... As it seems no one else is such a board vulture, I shall start posting to myself!! ( <_< You know it's bad when... ) Well, Sarah, as I was wading through the sea of posts on various boards of this site I came across a Princess Leia slave girl strand! Ha! That was incredibly amusing. Anyhow, on that strand I found a site totally dedicated to the Leia slave girl costume, I'm almost going to call it a cult thing. Leiasmetalbikini.com - Very amusing, I even saw one or two of those girls at the Indy convention. But that's not what I want to share! While I was on that site I linked to another site w/ a pattern for the costume (No, I'm not going to make it.. o_O You would really NOT want to see me in it..), and that site linked to another site which I was VERY impressed with. It was a site with instructions for making your very own lightsaber! Well.. The hilt atleast; here's the link: http://www.bigyellowbox.tripod.com/index.htm It has the blue prints, a budget, where to get the parts, and eight or nine different designs! I'm going to attempt one of them, wish me luck! -- And tell me not to cut my hand off. <_<

3. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I wouldn't go as far a scalling it a cult... ;) Anyways, like this website, there are other costuming websites/organisations, here's a few of them:

www.501st.com Very cool Empire group :)

www.rebellegion.com Same thing as above, good guys side

www.thedentedhelmet.com Great website for any bounty hunter wannabe :D

By the way, my wife will be Slave Leia of the Month of April (I think it's April) on the bikini website.

4. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow, thanks! I'll try to make use of those sites. If you come across anything that may of interest please post it! ^_^ I'm always in the want to be in the know, if you know what I mean. <_<

5. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    A Jedi outfit is the best costume to start with :) Easy to put together, and prety much inexpensive. I'm almost done with my latest cotuming project, will post pics as soon as it's done!

6. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Coolness, I hope mine turns out.

7. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Well, my first costume was a Jedi... Then I had a Stormtrooper, and a ESB Solo... Got an Imp. Officer for my dad and a Slave Leia for my wife... I am now working on a Zam for my wife, and putting the finall touches to my Jango :) It's getting very addictive!!! :eek:
    Next one... LORD VADER.

8. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Egads!! <_< I can't believe you've made all those! ...And to think, I can't even thread the sewing machine. *doing costume mostly by hand* ...Very addictive indeed, it seems by your testiomonial. ... Do you make up your own patterns for the costumes, or do you use pre-made ones?

9. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    I'm especially good at painting and constructing props, I leave the sewing parts to my mom or a pro seamstress :)

10. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Oh, I see... I suppose the props and accessories would be the most fun! You get to paint, and cut, and all those fun things we haven't done since kindergarten. ^_^ When Episode II came to the theatres I drug my mom, and Lin (step-mom) to the premiere - where experienced the Fandango disaster *mutter*. I wore the Queen Amidala cosmetics to school that day, at the mall while we had to wait for another showing, and to the theatre - I also got Mom to wear the makeup. So I guess I like the cosmetics part of the costumes. You can be so creative with it!

11. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    The only things to really keep in mind if you really want to make a costume are:
    1/ Choose carefully what costume you want. Some are really a pain to wear more than 3 hours (Vader, Fett...), and make sure you REALLY want to wear the costume you choose (it's easy to start a costume and then get realise that you would have prefered something else).
    2/Don't get discouraged!! Costumes can take a very long time to finish, and can be very frustrating at times!! I almost stopped my Jango project twice, but I stuck with it, and can't wait to see the final result.
    3/Try to make as much of your costume yourself, it is VERY rewarding to get praises about a costume you made yourself :)

12. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    even the "some assembly required" stuff you can get from the internet can be rewarding to assemble and paint and everything.

13. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Exactly, everything doesn't have to be scratch build!! :)

14. Cor-AlGelkar

Cor-AlGelkar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    Another "good guy" site to which I belong

www.thejediassembly.com

15. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Ok...Never mind this post... I answered my own question....

16. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    My friends (Junkie_Jedi, and another friend) are all embarking on the path to One-with-the-Force-edness, we're attempting Jedi costumes! I bought the patterns at the Jo-Ann Fabric's sale a week or two ago (terrible memory have I), and this week end we cut them all out. We've studied, and researched about a dozen different sources for Jedi assembly. And now we're finally starting... I'm more into it than they are... They have yet to buy any fabric.. <_< Maybe at our next meeting if anyone is into costuming they can help me out with something or another?

17. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I don't know thing 1 about making the Jedi costumes, But I own a authentic Qui-Gon Jinn one that I bought back when Episode 1 was in theatres. I could bring it next time so you could examine it and take a good look at it to maybe use it as a guide for making yours.

18. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hey, that'd be great Sean! Since I want my robe to be reminiscent of Qui-Gon's era, they were just so neat looking... ;)

19. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hey, I'd just like to forward a heads up to all the costume making people. This weekend March 28-30th(?) Jo-Ann's Fabric is having another of their pattern sales, all patterns ('cept Vogue) $.99! I'm going back to pick up some more, for a nice variety... :D

20. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Here is the link to the Slave Leia of the month who is our very own Lady_Lucas!!
    You can also see pics of me (Solo), my dad (Imperial Admiral) and my friend Bruno (detention officer).

http://www.leiasmetalbikini.com/fan_month.html

21. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Man the boards have been so dead the past week or two. o_O I know I haven't posted very often lately, that's primarily due to personal reasons. Anyhow! I just felt it worth mention on this thread to say I've finally gotten around to actually making my costume!! Mom and I got the stupid piece of junk sewing machine to work properly. -- You'd never know the wonders of a thorough cleaning...

I'm working on the undertunic at this time, and since most of the people who have made costumes have made Jedi of some form or another I was wondering if someone knew how to get the drawn up sleeves? The bunching effect on the forearms? I haven't the foggiest clue how to do it.

22. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I've noticed the boards have been dead also. I don't know what to do, all the ongoing threads I am the last one who has posted there and nobody really responds to the polls other than voting lately. I'm sure it's just a slow month and will pick up soon. Sounds like you are doing good on your cosume, Keep up the good work Sarah. :)

23. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, from now till whenever I'm going to try to post more often (will I ever shut up!? :D), and keep certain threads alive. I know I have a trivia question that was never answered from last month!

And thank you, Sean, I sure hope I can keep up with the work! ^_^ Oh, and I forget to give Ludo, and his wife their MUCH belated congratulations on being the Slave Leia of the month! You all looked great in the photos!

24. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Thank you VERY much Junkie!! :)
    It always makes us feel happy happy when people say nice stuff about our costumes :)
    My wife's outfit is really awesome, and my costume nice also, but it doesn't compare to my almost finished Jango!!! :D
    Just a few more weeks (hopefully!!!).

25. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Almost done with the undertunic. Maybe if I spent a little more time on the costume I could get it done someday? I have WAY too many projects going on at once. I have the costume under way, a jumper for my niece almost done, my computer being painted, and like a nutcase I'm going to try starting my lightsaber by the end of this month. Does anyone think I should clone myself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.