main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costumes 'n stuff..

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Jedi_Junkie, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Can you believe I'm still working on that stupid tunic?!?! Those directions with the pattern are terrible, who do they expect to understand the bloody things?

PS- Finished Savannah's jumper thing, for a first timer I think I did all right. I'm going to have to re-sew the two main seams due to their weakness.. I did them by hand the first time, so......

PPS- Like a fool, I've started a Harry Potter costume for the book release, I hope I can make it!

2. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I went to one of those midnight release parties for the book. I finished my whole costume, plus I'd sewn up a house elf costume for my friend yesterday evening just before we left, I think her sheet costume was cute, I missed a seam in the fabric so she has a mini-cape that can be brought to the front; so the costume could be a toga, I'll post pics as soon as I figure out where I can link to.
    My costume turned out pretty darn good I think, I made a skirt (looks GREAT), the robe (lined in green silky stuff), a hat, and my own wand. I bought knee-high trouser socks, and a white polo shirt for the rest of the uniform. And I ended up cannibalizing one of my mom's ties by sewing on a bunch of my lining material in stripes. I might wear it to the BBQ......

At the party I went to they had a costume contest, and I lost to this git &*$@^ who didn't even know what she was dressed as. She had a LOTR cloak on, renfest sandals, a tie-dye peasant shirt that was quite revealing for a Hogwarts teacher (as she said she was "Professor McGonagall" *grumble*), and a screwy skirt. I think she could have said she was a hag, I wouldn't be so irritated if she had.. <_< I'm not angry about losing, really.. Just.. Losing to someone who didn't put any thought into their costume. Do I sound whiney? I know I am, but still...

PS - While at the party someone took pics of my group to post at the-leaky-cauldron.org! I hope we actually are displayed, that'd be so spiffo.

3. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    My wife Kim went to Kroger at midnight to pick up the book and do the usual Sat. afternoon shopping at the same time. She said there was no one there so no long lines and no hassles. She still has to finish this Tom Clancy novel before she starts the Potter book.

4. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I tried as hard as I could... but my Jango won't be ready for the cookout :_|

5. General_Disarray

General_Disarray Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    A Jedi outfit is the best costume to start with Easy to put together, and prety much inexpensive.

1) start with burlap sack
    2) cut holes for head and arms
    3) rope for belt
    4) repeat from step 1 for more costumes as needed

GD

6. ohiojedi

ohiojedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2003
    there are a lot websites that sell jedi costumes, but you know...i really dont wanna be caught with one on...they really suck!!! they are basically made for the one night halloween occasion and THAT's IT...seriously my friends.dont go to a convention...such as celebration 3...wherever it may be in 2005, with one on...you will be humiliated and run through with your own lightsaber..haha...anyway, ravensmoon.com sells a jedi outfit, not complete, for 200.00 plus...
    i am sure the material is good quality. but i think it would be alot cheaper to make your own. u pick your own material and such. then once this happens, you can go to a convention and have tea with Master Yoda..LOL...

7. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I can attest that one can make a Jedi costume for considerably LESS than $200. I haven't visited said site so I can't say how complete the ensemble is. On my jedi costume I'm proud to say I've only spent $40-$50 and I have all my fabric, notions, and patterns, I even have a pair of boots that will work (all hail Jedi Gustapo!). The only things I don't have yet that will be costly are my lightsaber, belt, and the accesories for the belt.

8. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow is this thread dead.

I'm just posting to say that I'm VERY happy with my X-Mas present. I got a Husqvarna Viking sewing machine!! I'm so excited, I think I might actually finsih my Jedi Costume before I graduate (sad, huh?)!
    With my old machine the bloody thing kept eating fabric, breaking thread, and screwing up the stitches horribly. Now.... I have the GREATEST sewing machine EVER! Yee Haw....:D

9. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    My Qui-Gon costume is near finished...TIE pilot is taking some time (and $$$) that I ain't got right now :(

10. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Good luck with that, i don't think I could ever get the nerve to mess with plastic, and.. stuff.. o_O;

11. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    If I can't buy it in a store I can't have one! I am the most untalented person when it comes to costume making. I was toying with the idea of making a Boba Fett costume years ago and people told me that it wasn't hard and referred me to some websites that had instructions...It was like reading Egyptian Hyrogliphics! lol :)

12. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    lol I know what you mean... Sewing is not that easy. Well, *good* sewing is not easy.. I can make a mess of my costume and have it done.. but that's just not right. And reading patterns is just impossible!! ;_;!!

13. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    !_!_! Did anyone see that little headline about "Revenge of the Seamstresses"? It says there's going to be a few Star Wars novelty prints coming out in April-May!! And there's a wallhanging! :D I can't wait to see them, I'm definitely getting the wall hanging if I can find it.

14. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I bought the wall hanging that I posted about in January, it's an image of Yoda on one side, and the other half of the fabric has Vader. I also came across a fleece panel for Revenge of the Sith, I bought that and plan to make it into a throw. =D

Also, I began working my belt today. I stained it, and I think it looks pretty decent for a first timer. Hopefully I can finish the belt in time for the premiere.

15. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Jedi Robe: $17 and five hours
    Tunic: $6 and eight hours
    Skirt: $10 and four hours
    Tabbards: $2 and 1 hour
    Jedi Belt: $54 and 3 hours
    Membership in the Rebel Legion: Priceless and Timeless.

=D I just checked my E-Mail and I've been accepted into the Rebel Legion, and my costume has been classified as canon! W00T!!1!

Now I just want to get an Imperial Guard costume made so I can join the 501st...

16. PsychoYoda

PsychoYoda Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2004
    Well, I am glad that you finally figured out what that darn Hedi costume was worth. I figured it was doomed to never be finished for the CIII or Episode III. But with my help and guidance from the force it was finished. Really, she did most of it, I was just cheap labor, pinning and cutting out patterns. I am very proud of Jedi_Junkie for her accomplishments and the new membership to the Rebal Legion. Next stop the 501st, she will do that one alot faster than that darn Jedi. Anyone want to take bets on her?;)hee,hee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.